Monzo Staff Weekly Q&A - Hugh Wells (Customer Operations)

Note : All Monzo Q&As to date can be found here :grinning:

Human Beings of the Monzoverse! We’re back with another Weekly Q&A, your weekly insight into the lives, workings, and existences of the people running your fave bank! :wink:

Now, before we start the proceedings, let’s just make sure you haven’t missed one of our previous extravaganzas!

Week 1 : Chris MacLean, Customer Operations & Vulnerable Customers :santa:t2:
Week 2 : James Nicholson, iOS Engineer :green_apple:
Week 3 : Tara Mansfield, People Operations Manager :woman_technologist:t5::man_technologist:t3:
Week 4 : James Routley, Backend Engineer :hammer_and_wrench:

Now that you’re all caught up, let’s meet our team member in the hot coral hot seat this week! :monzo:

That’s right, you know him, you love him, you’ve probably talked to him here on the forum… now you can ask all the questions your heart desires to Hugh Wells from our Customer Operations team! Hugh started here in November 2017 and has recently been through our rigorous Monzo Bootcamp training, so everything is very fresh in his head and he’s jumped in with gusto! One fun fact about Hugh is that he flies little planes - with a high success rate (has not crashed :muscle:t4:)

His favorite thing so far about working at Monzo is learning something new and meeting wonderful people! :raised_hands:t4: Hugh is also studying Computer Science and so where better to be working than here? :grin:

Let’s go, get your questions in for Hugh and don’t hold back!

5 Likes

What aspect of the COps role have you found most surprising/unexpected?

2 Likes

little planes like a single seater or a remote control model plane?

1 Like

Hi Hugh :wave:!

What does your average day look like? :clock1:

What’s been the best question or most memorable question which a customer has asked you since you’ve joined Monzo? :monzo:

What laptop do you have? Are there any apps you couldn’t live without? :computer:

5 Likes

What’s your #1 requested Monzo feature? :grin:

1. British or Canadian Smarties? (i.e. with or without orange chocolate). I hope you don’t answer American - those are disgusting!
  2. What helps you relax after a hard day with customers and disconnect from work?
  3. How many days into the job before Monzo became a topic of your dreams (or was it before you started)?
1 Like

Some great questions all! Hugh will be here later on to answer them :grinning:

What’s one thing you would and wouldn’t change working at Monzo?

2 Likes

Hmm, I think I’d have to say some of the work we do behind the scenes to make everything run smoothly on the front. We have a massive tool called “BizOps” which is where all the merchant feedback, PIN Recovery Tasks, some ID checks and much, much more with payments, all end up for us to work through :sweat_smile: Working through that can be a bit of a challenge but it is really satisfying once you get going :smiley:

2 Likes

As in Single Engine Pistons :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hey Josh! :smiley:

I work out of hours, at weekends so I clock on at 7pm on a Friday and Saturday and finish at 4am :smiley:
I am usually quite busy up until around midnight dealing with the queues, I tend to take my break around then :canned_food: We sometimes have a stand up towards the start of the shift where we have a chat about what is happening and generally have a laugh :slight_smile:

Most frequent: Apple Pay :joy:
Best question: Hmm, by best I would judge these on how interesting I found them so usually ones with interesting Mastercard declines or international stuff with CHAPS :slight_smile:
Most memorable: do our cards work in the UK :thinking:

1 Like

Hmmm, my most requested feature is probably some cool savings integrations :tada:

Don’t mind - no strong opinion either way :wink: (ps. I’ve never seen Smarties in :canada: :open_mouth: )

Hmm, not Slack :wink:
I tend to finish at 4am so I will watch some YouTube and go to sleep!

-12 months :wink:

Thanks for all the questions peeps! I’m sure @simonb has someone really awesome lined up for next week but it’s been fun :tada:

3 Likes

The orange ones don’t have orange chocolate inside. Biting into one is like tasting disappointment.

Wow!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.