Include bank transfers in budget categories

I know this has been brought up a lot of times but are Monzo considering including bank transfers in budget categories.

Today i received compensation for a flight delay, as the money was sent through a bank transfer although I changed it to the holiday category it does not appear within my budget ie this payment should reduce my monthly allowance

Surely this can not be hard to rectify, surely it must be better just to include all payments/transfers in the budget then people have the option to exclude them from the budget if they wish

Why is it bank transfers are not included?

Monzo always want to know what we the customer would like to see and this is brought up all the time

Fixing this bug/issue will save Monzo money as I always ask people to Monzo.me any payment owed so it is included in budget but this cost Monzo per payment, as an investor I dont want to cost Monzo a penny more that what is required but until this is fixed its the only way to budget properly

9 Likes

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

Situation

I bought train tickets for my girlfriend and me -£30 each. £60 came off my monthly budget as expected. She then transferred the money for her ticket to me but as far as I can tell there’s no way for me to add that transaction back into the budget, and so my budget is now £30 out. It’s saying I’ve spent £60 rather than £30.

I thought about increasing the total budget by £30 to offset the ‘missing’ £30 - but that doesn’t work as I use the setting to adjust the budget amount/timescales to change with variations to my payday. Changing the total budget to offset the ‘missing’ cash would also provide an inaccurate picture of how much I’m spending.

Also, you can change the category of an incoming payment, but that doesn’t appear to adjust any stats anywhere.

Idea

To solve this problem, it’d be great to have a switch on incoming payments to say “add to available budget” or something.

If that’s switched on for a payment, you could also then change the category, so it comes off the monthly spent stats for that category.

10 Likes

If the payment is a Monzo to Monzo p2p payment it does offset the difference but if it’s from another bank it doesn’t.

This has been a bit of a frustration of mine since I still have a large number of friends who don’t use monzo.

6 Likes

I will use an example to explain. Say I go to a restaurant and pay the whole bill for two people- £40. Then, I split this bill on monzo with a friend so it’s £20 each. Howeber, my budget summary still thinks I have spent £40 thus meaning I am said to be going ‘over budget’. I’d love for it to update and show that I only spend the said £20. The only was around this currently is to exclude the whole bill from your summary.

12 Likes

I thought this already happened. Really surprising that it only works for Monzo-to-Monzo payments. Seems like an essential feature to make budgets work.

5 Likes

Agreed. It’s a little annoying having to increase your budget to balance out incoming funds.

8 Likes

I’ve brought this up in the past, my solution was to get the person to pay you via your monzo.me link, that will add to your budget, bank transfers do not, moved post to here

1 Like

That’s useful to know, but it’s not ideal to have to require a third party to change their preferred payment process just to suit my budgeting habits. If somebody paying me wants to simply do a transfer from their online banking system, which they know and trust, they should be able to.

Also, my thread had 19 votes, which have now been lost since it was moved into this thread. Is there any way to get those votes back?

1 Like

Agreed, this really lowers the impact of the budgeting tools! It’s odd that you can categorise an incoming payment but that doesn’t feed through into the budget for that category. Very frustrating.

3 Likes

Glad I found this thread - for a long time has been my biggest bugbear.

I paid accommodation for an upcoming holiday today that was split 4 ways at ÂŁ180ish each - over the ÂŁ100 maximum for monzo.me.

Can’t expect three people to make me two monzo.me payments, which would also bring me close to the monthly limit just to workaround budgeting.

2 Likes

Still would really like this. I only have a few friends on Monzo (however much I bang on about how great they are :laughing:) and we very often do the “I’ll pay and you send the money” thing. A toggle in the payment itself to “include in budget” would make perfect sense to me.

I voted for this but thought I would add text too. Adding functionality so that all income methods have the ability to be added to a category is vital for all the reasons people have listed. This month alone. I have returned something to shop and they refunded direct onto card; had a friend pay me back for part a large grocery bill; and paid in cash that I had drawn out for attending a festival but didn’t spend. None of these went back into the catagories I allocated them to. This makes the whole budgeting process very unsatisfactory. I like the suggestion above that you have a button that says ‘add to catagory’ Just like there is one where you can hide an expense from the budget.

1 Like

This is an issue for me too, I can’t understand how you can take money out of a budget but when you get money back in any form (i.e. payment or refund) you can’t allocate it back to that budget category to offset the payment.

It just doesn’t make any sense to me and makes the budget tool unusable and incorrect.

2 Likes

I just have to post on this again. Another example. Just paid for holiday flights and car hire from current account category holidays. I have been saving for this in a pot. I transfer the money from that pot but I can’t allocate it to the holiday category. I also just bought flights to care for my father in Spain. He paid me back by bank transfer but again tho I can allocate it to a catagory it doesn’t effect the budget. Just as any payment out of account can be categorised, for budgeting any income must be too and affect the total in that catagory. Please Monzo can you comment on this thread as to whether you are even looking at addressing this??

5 Likes

+1

Really surprised this still isn’t a feature after so long. I really like the category budget tools even with the categories not being perfect, but I very rarely get to actually use them properly. This budgeting period it’s been 3 days before the feature was yet again broken because I bought I £100 item on Amazon for my parents and they transferred the money.

1 Like

I mainly switched to Monzo because of how well it encourages me to budget. Every month I am always checking my outgoings, whether I’m on target, if I could put a little extra in my pots etc.

This not yet being a feature is the main thing that really bugs me, because as soon as I receive just one bank transfer in a month, the budget is knocked out of sync for the rest of the month.
I like that I am able to categorise each transfer, but it seems a completely redundant feature if it doesn’t actually make a difference to my budget.

Asking all of my friends and family to only transfer money to me using the monzo.me links is just not viable as it a nuisance for both them and myself. Not only that, but sometimes I transfer money to Monzo from other bank accounts of my own, and using the banking apps to transfer that money as a stored payee is just so much simpler and efficient.

The other alternative is just ensuring that I am never the person to pay for something up front if it’s being split between others, which can seem a bit selfish.

1 Like

Does anyone know if anyone from Monzo has ever commented on this? It baffles me we don’t get the choice to include these in summary or not.

Not that I’ve seen yet, but I haven’t sifted through enough threads to say with certainty.
I agree; I don’t get why budget inclusion/exclusion doesn’t apply to all transactions in and out of an account.

I find it difficult to keep an accurate track of my actual spending when I can’t include non-Monzo transactions to my account.

1 Like

Scanning through feedback and ideas this looks like one of the highest voted on topics too.

2 Likes