Include bank transfers in budget categories

This is something I’ve wanted ever since going full monzo!!! For instance - went to the cinema with family & bought their snacks for them in advance, but when they paid me back my budget didn’t account for it :’(

2 Likes

Going to post here for the third time in the vain hope that number of posts counts for something. The budgeting and categories function is really important to me to know how much I spend and where. I keep drifting away from using it for all the reasons everyone else has listed. Then start again with a new workaround. But workarounds don’t work.

Every movement of money by any means inward or outward needs to be catagorisable and update catagory totals.

Please Monzo can you comment on what you are doing to respond to this.

2 Likes

I got monzo last week and now I have discovered that this seemingly obvious feature doesn’t exist I feel the whole thing is relatively useless to me. My flatmate and I split things constantly.

Does anyone know if Starling allows this?? I’ll change if so…

1 Like

Unless it’s changed recently I don’t think Starling’s budgeting is anywhere near as advanced as Monzo’s

Get your flatmate to get Monzo, problem solved :wink:

How do you split things currently?

Surely Monzo can’t be any worse than your current bank?

I didn’t sign up to my current bank for budgeting capabilities and to track my spending.

Ordog
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

29 November

How do you split things currently?

Surely Monzo can’t be any worse than your current bank?

I’m confused :confused: So it isn’t worse than your old bank then?

I signed up to monzo to help me budget… if I can’t apply incoming money to budget categories it’s useless for budgeting.

In fact, my regular bank have just launched spending insights in the past 3 days in the app (RBS) and it seems I can put my flatmate’s transfers into budget categories there.

So actually, as of this week RBS are doing a better job of this than monzo.

Ordog
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

29 November

I’m confused :confused: So it isn’t worse than your old bank then?

This is such a huge issue for me, but nothing has been done about it!

3 Likes

And what is so frustrating is that there seems to be no official comment on it. Sometimes Monzo staff comment on the forum but not on this stream!!’ Hey Monzo - please can you update us on this topic??!

1 Like

Just to clarify…

Monzo have many teams who are responsible for many different projects, it’s up to them if they come on here to discuss what they’re working on and how they’re doing. There isn’t a universal voice for the forum that comes on here and updates everyone on every little detail for things going on across the company.

If you’re not hearing anything it is likely that nobody is working on it. In the mean time I’d recommend you encourage people to vote for it and then maybe if it gets enough votes it will get Monzos attention :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m surprised this hasn’t been fixed after so long. The main reason I switched my bank account to Monzo is because the budgeting tools are so useful. This is pretty annoying and getting people to use Monzo.me isn’t a solution

Please address this Monzo developers!
Completely confused about my budget for this month as have bought several gifts for colleagues and have received varying amounts from non-Monzo users, which, despite putting under the same category as the gifts, aren’t being ‘subtracted’ from my spending. I’ve contributed to the gifts too so don’t want to just exclude them from my summary.
Thank you :relaxed:

This feature needs to be added in! I cant use the budgeting tool accurately without being able to offset credits within different spending categories. Every month it suggests I’m hundreds of quid over budget, when in fact this is shopping and purchases I split with my partner. Come on devs, patch it!

2 Likes

This is a feature I also have been wishing would be added for a long time now, as it screws up my budgets too when I receive money from family/friends who aren’t with Monzo.

This is such a pain on Monzo, sort this and along with Monzo Plus and I think it’s a perfect solution for me. Pleaaaaase!

I’d like to see bill splitting and shared tabs work with budgeting better. (Shared tabs shouldn't count toward spending)

Hi all, I’m pretty new around these parts so please forgive me if this option already exists in a capacity that I’m not aware of!

I love the Monzo budget feature and I’m religious in its use when it comes to my monthly spending. What I have noticed is that there’s an option for each payment which allows it to be excluded from the summary (I.e. not affect your monthly budget) but I would love to an option to include a payment to the summary.

This becomes useful when someone has transferred you some money. Currently this would lead to a discrepancy between your budget and account balance. It would be great if you could simply have an option to increase your budget by the amount of that payment instead.

I’d be keen to hear the community’s thoughts on this and if appropriate would love Monzo to action this!

Thanks for taking time to read that!

TLDR: Request for mirror option to ‘exclude from summary’ i.e. ‘Include to summary’

This would be great.

I got a little spend happy this month and as such, I’ve moved some money from a pot, but now my budget is out.

1 Like