Hello! It’s me again .
Building on yesterday’s exciting news, of mortgages in Monzo and a better way to budget, I’m back with the other thing you all wanted to hear: an early version of Overview, the new Home screen that the App Evolution team have been working on, is now live in Monzo Labs!
We’d love for you to try it out and give us feedback. This is still a relatively early version, but we wanted to get it out there as soon as we felt it was good enough for some wider input.
You’ll need our most recent app release,
v5.4.0 which shipped yesterday to the App and Google Play Stores.
Once updated, go to
Monzo Labs, enable the
Overview ✨ option, then restart your app.
There’s a feedback form embedded in the screen for in-app feedback; for anything longer form you can of course post your thoughts on this thread!
As a bit of a recap, Overview is designed with a few core things in mind:
- Focusing on customer core jobs and key actions — core day-to-day jobs should be easy. We’re a bank: ongoing account management should be easy.
- Creating clarity with balance data and prompts — what’s on this screen should be clear and easy to understand, and if there are things to do (e.g. move money to prevent you from going overdrawn), these should be obviously highlighted.
- Taking customers on a journey as our offering evolves — we wanted to build something modular, that scales up or down well depending on how engaged you are with Monzo.
To this end, we’ve built quite a few new components to try and set us up for success:
It’s worth noting at this point that we’re aware we haven’t realised all of these things yet. We’ve been focusing on building foundations that we, and other teams at Monzo, can build on. Stay tuned for more polish, functionality, etc over the coming months.
We’re releasing now to the community to get your input on how these foundations work for you, and to help us prioritise what’s most important to you next!
Full account widget
See your account details, current balance, and relevant actions to do the core day-to-day jobs you need to do. For example, get a bank statement, share your account details.
Add product menu
Each account has a menu to contextually show key actions you can take with that product or service. For example, create a Pot or Savings Pot.
Bring together your finances and see your latest transactions and other feed items, across all of your accounts, in one place.
Note: we envision this to be across Monzo accounts, external accounts, virtual cards, Pots etc, but it isn’t all there today. We’re working on it!
Mini account widget
There’s a few potential usages of this widget, we’ve started out with using it to show Pots — across your personal and joint accounts.
As mentioned, this is all still very much under active development. If you keep the flag on, you’ll see us iterate on the experience, as we ship things each week!
We have quite a lot planned for our next milestone, but to give a lil sneak peek of some of the priorities:
- Improving how you access cards/card details — it’s a bit clunky at the moment, we know we can do better here!
- Polish — we haven’t put very much time into animations or anything yet, we will! Most notably, bringing across the balance ticker animation when your balance updates
- Glanceable insights — that do the heavy lifting for you by surfacing useful information
- Enhancing Latest Activity — as I noted above, bringing more types of account, as well as other improvements like badges to bring clarity to this section
So, now, over to you all! Turn it on, and let us know what you think. The whole team will likely be refreshing this thread to see what you make of it .