A year later, I wanted to create some space for the Community to reflect on what’s worked well and what, with time and experience, might need tweaking.
Here are my thoughts:
- The card-based paradigm works so so much better. And it’s super helpful in preparing Monzo for becoming that financial control centre that we will hear about!
- Settings is now much much better
- The app just looks more modern. The old version just looks, well, old - line something from history now!
But, with experience, I think there are a few things to improve that would either help add additional polish, fix problems or to set the stage for the next step of the journey.
Areas for improvement:
- Seeing all accounts. Now, I love the swipe down mechanism, but I find myself consistently - even with months of muscle memory now - hitting the payments tab when I want to see all pots and accounts together (the pull down screen). Anecdotally, I’ve seen a few people come on here to need advice on how to find that screen, so it feels like an area for improvement.
- Equal treatment for pots…. It still seems odd to me that something as fundamental as seeing transactions for pots hasn’t been implemented (by which I mean each pot having a transaction screen identical to the main account view). I think Bruno and others have suggested that this is a deliberate choice, but I’m not sure I agree that this is the right one.
- …and credit cards. I know this is a longer term project but I think the time has come to set Truelayer aside and develop native integrations. Invest in a small team to do it and work through the most popular credit card providers. (And, much as I hate it, make it Plus exclusive for a year if that’ll help the business case).
- Account hierarchy. This all gets us into the complicated world of account hierarchy. I’ve never been particularly happy that credit cards are shown as the same level of pots, rather than the Monzo current account. And now I’m left wondering if we might need a ‘master’ card (no pun intended) at some point that shows transactions from all pots and accounts in one feed - then pots under the Monzo card, (eventually) Starling Goals under a Starling account, then credit cards etc.
- Payments. I know we go on about this a lot on the Community, but this is really a big gap in Monzo right now. In the context of the new navigation, the design still seems muddled when pot transfers are under the card and account transfers are under the tab. Indeed, I’m not sure that the payments tab makes any sense now, given that payments are account sensitive - I’d be tempted to change it to be a new ‘Accounts’ or ‘Home’ button, listing the accounts, with ‘Home’ becoming ‘Transactions’ or ‘Feed’. Payments could then be context sensitive from each card. Alternatively, keep the tab but fundamentally rethink it - maybe reusing the card metaphor to allow for transfers across accounts.
Anyway, that’s my feedback. Keen for one-year-on reflections from the Community!