Remember that UI design you all hated? We explain it here šŸ‘‡

Hello hello :wave:t2:! Iā€™m Emma - Senior Staff Engineer, recently just passed my 6 year anniversary at Monzo! I joined as the second Android engineer, and have worked across all sorts of features over the years.

A little while ago, some of you might remember seeing a thread with a strange new UI on Android. Iā€™m here today to explain what this was about!

Background

Weā€™ve been thinking a lot about our app structure lately ā€” most specifically around how it can support the growth and complexity we need it to, both now as well as in the future. We last redesigned the app a few years ago, to make more space for core features like Pots. That design worked well, but the app (and the company!) have kept growing since then.

Iā€™m currently the technical lead for a team called ā€˜app evolutionā€™. Our mission is to evolve the app up to a whole new level :sparkles:

A side note on the teamā€™s name: we picked this name (thanks @maxwhite) because it feels big, full of promise and exciting, but also gradual and attainable. Plus, thereā€™s so much potential for PokĆ©mon memes :wink:!

App Evolution

In late 2021, we started off this work with a design and user research discovery phase where we framed the problems, and dug deep into them. The top themes were:

• A lot of our value isnā€™t easy to discover ā€” customers think of us as a spending card, and often donā€™t know about functionality like Pots. To help people discover new products and features, weā€™d often decide to add them as a new tab in the app so people could find them (which obviously doesnā€™t scale!)
  • Engaged customers with multiple products need a better experience ā€” thereā€™s no central place to manage multiple cards, moving money around between accounts/knowing which one youā€™re in is tricky.
  • Ongoing account management is hard ā€” finding previous messages from Monzo is a pain, search isnā€™t very powerful, and core banking functionality like account number & sort code or bank statements should be easier to find.

From here, I joined @leepethers and together we spent 6 weeks across late May/June 2022 learning and planning how we might go about tackling them: continuing to put customers at the centre of our thinking.

We decided that weā€™d start with building new Home screen: itā€™s a pretty important part of the app! Plus, it gave us quite a few good opportunities:

• :bar_chart: We can give customers better visibility & control of all their finances, whether theyā€™re inside or outside of Monzo.
  • :dancing_women: We can personalise the experience, to better support customers whether theyā€™re here to pay down debt, or grow their money.
  • :paw_prints: We can make it easier to keep track of everything, and surface where best to put their attention, for example with best next steps, etc.

Soā€¦. What about that weird UI?

Whilst we were planning how to go about addressing the problems weā€™d identified, I built a technical demo on Android with the intention of learning. I wanted to explore both the problems we might face with building a new home, as well as what data we have available and in what format we might eventually need it.

When I put it in Labs for myself to try out with my own data, I misconfigured the feature flag. For a brief 10 minute window it was public! It was then when @seig turned it on. The feature flag had no impact until the new screen made its way into the app we ship to all customers ā€” I kept it local for quite a while, because I didnā€™t want to affect the main app at all. I was on holiday at the time it went live accidentally, which wasnā€™t ideal :joy:

It was pretty interesting to read the reactions ā€” seems like most of you hated it, which honestly is pretty fair! It was very rough, plus I took some serious liberties with the designs at the time to make my life easier implementing it :sweat_smile:

Where we are today

Iā€™m posting this explanation today to give a bit of context around my mistake, partly because I bet some of you were curious about what the heck happened here, but partly as a way to start the conversation about the app evolution work.

As with our previous redesign, we really want to engage with you folks to get your feedback on what weā€™re thinking ā€” itā€™s always super interesting. Money is such a complex and personal topic: the more perspectives we can hear on what weā€™re working on, the better.

Weā€™re currently working towards a v1 iteration of the new Home screen. Iā€™ll save the sneak peak designs for the next post though :wink: ā€” this post is long enough already. Plus, canā€™t give it all away at once, eh?

58 Likes

Thanks for the detail @emmag.

I love the openness, transparency and reasoning behind the potential re-design. If I had to say two things though, clearly personal opinion

• Please donā€™t, I actually really like the current UI

• The same, but in bold

9 Likes

Just to add to this, one of the things that really irkā€™s me is the plus tab which takes up valuable app space, and the unclearable ā€œget monzo premiumā€ bar above my summary.

Would be really great in the re-design if adverts for plus, premium etc were snoozable for a period of time.

12 Likes

Thank you for this - love that I managed to stumble on something at such a weirdly specific window :slight_smile:

Interested to see how this goes - and always eager to give feedback once youā€™re ready for it next time!

6 Likes

yeah, it was pretty impressive to turn it on within 10 minutes :smiley:. Truly a testament to how engaged you folks are! :heart:

9 Likes

As someone who has always disliked the swipey cards UI ā€“ fee free to press Delete and start again please.

5 Likes

I second the getting rid of the plus/premium tabs. Itā€™s a waste of space for someone who might already have those products.

But I do like the idea of a central home hub - I like the idea of ā€œtilesā€ that might sometimes change depending on the context (eg. ā€œyouā€™ve spent Ā£x on coffees this month so farā€) - akin to NatWestā€™s attempt with their ā€œNewsfeedā€.

Also just to add this kind of post brings me joy just because itā€™s soā€¦ Monzo and brings me back to the older days of engaging users and the community. It has a fresh excitement to it, which is great.

23 Likes

Very much in favour of tinkering with the design. Might be worth having a ā€˜new uxā€™ test tab to gather usability feedback on officially rather than accidentally :smiley:

As a small screen-haver, the cards occupy a ton of space on my screen. They look cool but feel a bit off. If they stay, it might make sense to have the Monzo card be the center of the user experience rather than the left-most starting experience, and use the left of the card for something else? :slight_smile:

Also, itā€™s great to see this level of transparency on whatā€™s gone on. Thanks!

4 Likes

I use the labs to have my joint account first and have 3 pots on the joint account. On my personal, I have flex and two pots. I hate having to swipe through all these cards to get to the personal pot.

I know you can swipe down to pull up all the accounts overview but I think there must be a better way to display all the accounts and pots as an overview and have the option to jump into one of them when needed.

3 Likes

Please do similar to this, itā€™s one of the best things about the Natwest app!

3 Likes

Getting rid of premium / plus gradients.

2 Likes

Oh wow wow wow.

Firstly, thanks so much for the post and for closing off that particular mystery.

Iā€™ve really fond memories of @bruno and the V2 iteration, so really keen to be along for the ride again!

Iā€™ll no doubt spam this thread with overly long posts and links to thoughts Iā€™ve had before, but here are my hopes:

• Kill the card metaphor. It really doesnā€™t work for the Monzo = spending card thing.
  • A more flexible feed that can show multiple accounts and which has advanced search / filters would be amazing
  • The pull down accounts screen list thing really needs to be a separate tab, and be extended to show net worth etc.
  • Fixing the hierarchy between your Monzo app, Monzo current account, connected cards and pots etc. Itā€™s still confusing about where app settings are vs current account info etc.
  • Make a big call: what is Monzo for? Is it a current account, a suite of Monzo products or a financial hub? Then tell us! Form follows function, after all.

Oh, and letā€™s not have too much diversion between the US and the UK. I worry a bit that the problems are the same but youā€™re over localising (maybe because the US team is still more in start up mode?)

And yes, it has to spark joy! :joy:

15 Likes

I liked it. Or rather the direction you were trying to go in, even if it seemed a little rough.

3 Likes

My favourite iteration was the prepaid interface because it was so simpleā€¦ the information you wanted was there and it worked like all other apps, there were limited places you needed to click to ā€˜exploreā€™ (burger menu, and later tabs, which are so common theyā€™re learned behaviour now). The current interface just feels like itā€™s trying to hide stuff in random places so you donā€™t find it.

Obviously monzo does more than it did thenā€¦ and trying to do more in the tiny space available on a mobile is a tough problemā€¦ I donā€™t envy you the task of restructuring all of thatā€¦ As others have said I really donā€™t think the cards interface works though - especially when itā€™s polluted with advertsā€¦ perhaps a combined feed that you can filter (and the filter sticking as a user preference).

7 Likes

This :point_up:

1 Like

These both sound great! The personalisation in particular now there are so many different features/areas of the app.

Very excited for the sneak peeks :eyes:

6 Likes

Waiting.
Waiting.
Waiting.

giphy
:soon:

12 Likes

Please do and thank you for starting the conversation. Itā€™s how the community should be, though at the same time itā€™s not always possible to please everyone.

Regarding the ā€œtestā€ UI for me another personal request would be to keep the landing screen as simple as possible.

One of the things I like most about the current UI is how simple the accounts screen ā€œat a glance view isā€

I can open the app, quickly check my balance in all pots and connected accounts and be on my way.

Here are some other thoughts I have, for consideration.

• Plus tab adds little to no value. I mentioned it before but again here to really reiterate that.
  • a better use of that space would be a dashboard showing spending over time, insights and money saving tips.
  • I think the whole card UI takes up way took much space. Iā€™d rather that simply showed your balance, your budget and the card was on a different tab for management.
  • I guess there are plans but the whole clicking around between summary and budget isnā€™t nice, would be great to just have one thing there.
  • the search transactions is a little hidden for me
  • I actually donā€™t mind the plus gradient, but the ability to disable and re enable it would be great.
  • Iā€™m not overly convinced how useful merchant logos are. Feels like itā€™d be a nicer UI without.
  • the bar at the bottom is super nice to use as is
  • the transaction feed, would love to see the Ā£ symbol in front of the values.
5 Likes

Iā€™ve just reread @emmagā€™s post and I think this needs quoting for truth.

So so important. I wonder if radical UI changes are worth less than a whole bunch of smaller quality of life improvements.

(My worry with every ā€œevolutionā€ is that it is never finished. Thereā€™s always the best of intentions to fix things as they go but it never happens. So we need to have essential stuff right at the core of any new design).

8 Likes