Intro to Core Experience šŸŽ‰

Hey :wave:

Iā€™m Giorgio, a Product Manager at Monzo.

Iā€™m super excited to be introducing our brand new team: Core Experience. Our mission is to make everyday banking simple and delightful for our customers. That doesnā€™t always mean confetti (although in some cases, it absolutely does :tada:) but means making sure we invest time polishing and improving our core parts of the appā€¦ Isnā€™t it a pain moving money between pots :eyes:

For the next 12 months or so weā€™re going to be revamping those bits of the Monzo app that have been around for a long time and lost some of their shine. We expect to spend about 3/4 of our time on bigger investments and the other 1/4 on those myriad little bits of polish that make the difference between a good experience and a great one :sparkles:

The Big 2023 Poll is such a great thread - over the coming weeks and months weā€™re going to need all that input from you and more to help us pick the most useful things we can work on!

This post is just a quick intro, and some of our team will be introducing themselves in the comments below :point_down:

:heart:Giorgio

58 Likes

:wave: Hey!

Inspired by Giorgioā€™s postā€¦ Iā€™m Nurlan, a Backend Engineer and Tech Lead of Core Experience team.

And wanted to iterate that your feedback has been truly useful and please keep them coming!

Thanks.

36 Likes

I will have to find my top suggestion, I guess I should search through my brain for a part of the app that needs some attention. :male_detective:

(This is such great news, and very happy to hear youā€™re also putting aside time to polish the little things!)

16 Likes

Sorry to interrupt your intros butā€¦

I am so here for this.

That is all.

22 Likes

7 Likes

:partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

(Would also humbly suggest the parity wiki as a great place to find some ideas - Android-iOS Parity Wiki)

10 Likes

Amazing, really glad to see this happening.

Im sure that anything I wouldā€™ve had to add is on @Peter_Gā€™s excellent post linked above but the main thing for me is whole system thinking. Does what one team is doing make sense in the wider context.

The current app, while quite nice, does seem to be a little disconnected in terms of features, so itā€™d be really great to see this team stitching it all together. Some questionsā€¦

• How will you liaise with the other PMs as I imagine there will be multiple team backlogs at play, does your team sit above them as a sort of portfolio level one?
  • How will your team and the the team responsible for owning that part of the system agree on prioritisation and value?
  • Bigger investments sounds like something specific teams should focus on (e.g. investment team, payment team etc). In a world of distribution how will you ensure you donā€™t get bogged down in the weeds?

This all sounds really exciting by the way, really looking forward to hearing more from yā€™all :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Hello everyone! :wave:

Iā€™m Edward, the Android Engineer :robot: working in the Core Experience team.

Canā€™t wait to get started on making some of those long awaited feature requests a reality. :hot_pepper: :soon:

Looking forward to speaking to you all soon with some updates.

26 Likes

Cheque imaging confirmed :dancer:

Just joking, welcome all, looking forward to seeing where this leads.

12 Likes

:eyes:

18 Likes

Do. Not.

You canā€™t just leave that there after I mention cheque imaging! :laughing:

Which reminds me, @AlanDoe whereā€™s the @jackcully reaction weā€™ve been promised?

5 Likes

Hey everyone :wave:

Iā€™m Ben, Iā€™m a COps Product Partner for the Core Experience team.

Really looking forward to seeing what you all want us to be working on :grin: and ultimately helping make sure our COps are best set-up to support these features

22 Likes

Hi everyone!

Iā€™m Georgia, a shiny new Monzonaut! :rocket:

I am on week 4 as a Product Marketing Manager, in the very exciting Core Experience squad (and absolutely loving it!!).

I wanted to repeat Giorgio & Nurlan and thank you all for continuously sharing your thoughts on Monzo, it is an amazing source of feedback and something I have spent a lot of time reading through as I get up to speed with the product and features :muscle:

27 Likes

Hey :wave:

Iā€™m Maddy, Iā€™m part of the Special Projects team working on our Core Experiences.

My role in the squad is to combine our data, research and community insights :wink:. I use all of that to make sure weā€™re spending our time working on the most impactful features to our customers.

Very very excited about whatā€™s to come :star_struck:

27 Likes

Feels a useful time to revisit the Sparking Joy topics:. :eyes:

9 Likes

Hey everyone :wave:t5:

Iā€™m the Product Designer on the Core Experience team.

Talk to me about anything experience relatedā€”here to listen to all you have to say (I mean it)! :grin:

26 Likes

Lots of new monks! Welcome all!

I know itā€™s not technically part of the app, but itā€™s been around for ages and lost its mojo when Apple Pay was taken away. Is the glorious return of Apple Pay back on the cards now? if not, pls can it be? Monzo.me has never been the same without it.

7 Likes

Hey all, iOS engineer on the new Core Experience squad here :wave:

This list is fantastic, and incredibly timely as striving for parity on both platforms is a source of much discussion. Personally, I think the sweet spot is striving for a base level of consistency but leaning into a platform/technology where it adds a clear customer-value.

Weā€™re very mindful of the perception it gives if we (for example) polish one experience more on one platform that on tā€™other. However, I would add that itā€™s rarely a decision to focus more on one platform, but that we will sometimes accept the accelerators that a platform can offer.

I would expect some more discussion around this in the coming months.

(I realise that the list is made up of some more trivial inconsistencies, and letā€™s face it, these are just bugs! And we will hopefully be tackling some of these too. :sweat_smile: )

23 Likes

Hey everyone! I introā€™d myself a few months ago when we talked about our company Hackathon last year, and Iā€™ve been blown away by the high quality of engagement this community brings. We are super lucky to have your input and feedback.

I am the Engineering Manager of Core Experience, and I am super excited to work on this area with my team over the year :heart:

23 Likes