Monzo Desktop App - WIP

Hey folks,

Unrelated to a previous idea posted on here, I’ve been wanted a “bigger” way to manage my Monzo account.

I was thinking of just creating a tablet app, but I’ve been wanted to experiment with some native macOS building and thus I am here wanting to share a work in progress look at my currently untitled macOS app for Monzo!

(It’s worth saying that I don’t particularly think a native desktop app is the right way to do this sort of banking, and a more feature-full web experience would be better. But I’m treating this as an experiment and personal challenge as I’ve never done macOS before!)

Link to screenshots (WIP): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SGT1KPPQ6kzxtxd_UvunOux8Yq675IMk

Transactions%20-%20No%20Selection

Definitely got a lot of ideas written down, including a bunch of functionality and improvements that one day I hope are in the official apps!

Sharing on the forum because UI/UX really isn’t my good point and so wanted to get opinions, criticisms and ideas from the community! (It is worth saying the transaction view itself is quite a while from completion, and needs a bit of a redesign)

I’ll be updating the collection of images above as I make further progress, and hope to send a link to testers in the (hopefully) not so distant future.

Thanks in advance!

(also sorry if this is posted in the wrong section, happy to move!)

54 Likes

Amazing work :heart_eyes:

Might need some more emojis though :yum:

4 Likes

Thank You! :heart:

Definitely needs more emoji, I agree! Already got plans to include emoji in the transaction view in the same way you do via notifications.

Also got a bunch of work to do with help and information messages throughout the app - so I’ll be sure to include the odd :poop: emoji! :wink:

Looks really good! Only thing I didn’t see is if there would be a way to see your DD’s through the app?

1 Like

Thanks Chris! :heart:

Direct Debits will show up in the transaction view like any other payment, and it contains some basic information in there exclusive to DDs :slight_smile:

As I don’t have any direct debits myself though I actually “forgot” about making a full page for this! I’ve added it to my list, and will hopefully get something before the full release!

Thanks for the suggestion!

2 Likes

I really love how everything looks! Esp the inclusion of Hot Chip :heart:️ it is really pretty and in line with how transactions look like in the app, great work!

2 Likes

Thanks Eve! :heart: I’ve actually send Tristan a message to try and get some more hot chip so I can can make it even more recognisable and fit in with the brand a little bit more!

Just need to get the balance right, because I don’t want there to be any confusion about this being a 3rd Party app and in no way associated with Monzo itself! :grimacing:

1 Like

I’d love to test this when you’re willing to let us!

3 Likes

I second this, you’ll have to let us know on the forum when you’re ready for testers! I miss so much on the Slack channel sometimes :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Looks good @Sherlock and I like the fact it works ok a Mac too.

1 Like

@chalmerscameron @evangelskies

I’ll be sure to post here when I’m looking for testers! As long as you’re on a somewhat recent version of macOS and don’t mind an unfinished experience I’m definitely happy to give anyone access! :heart:

Currently a couple areas where it looks like it should do something, but then doesn’t :speak_no_evil: I know as a user this is confusing and annoying, so want to be careful what I share at this time!

Keep an eye out! :soon:

3 Likes

Another thing (can’t remember if I saw it in the photos) would be doing transfers/payments through the desktop app if possible. I hate doing transfers on my phone(paranoid i’ll get the sort code/account number wrong)

1 Like

I’d love to be able to do some sort of payments down the line, but the unfortunate truth is the current (public) APIs don’t support this functionality so would be pretty difficult to do securely and safely! :lock:

I’ll definitely look into some solutions that work around the edges though and see what I can deliver, giving you a bit more confidence in what you’re doing! :heart:

“If Payday Then Send all my money to James” :speak_no_evil:

1 Like

I have Mojave Beta 2 so pretty up to date! Yeah that makes sense :heart:

1 Like

I’ve already said this on DevSlack, but keen to try this out when it’s “ready” (I’m more than happy with testing things that are a little rough round the edges :blush:)

It’s looking great! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Really nice to see so many people wanting to give this a shot and test it out for me! :heart:

Unfortunately Monzo isn’t my main account at the mo (damn overdrafts) so I have a fairly limited transaction list! I suspect testers are going to be my saviour in making sure I detect all the different types of transactions and categorise them correctly! :raised_hands:

8 Likes

Got a (much) larger list on my machine, but thought I’d share the rough list of what’s left before I’ll be happy getting a build to first set of testers!

• :white_check_mark: Finish change category workflow
  • :white_check_mark: Allow changing of notes
  • :white_check_mark: Finish upload attachments workflow
  • :white_check_mark: Allow mass editing of transactions (tags, category, and attachments)
  • :white_check_mark: Transfer money from pots to main account
  • :white_check_mark: Various tweaks to the transaction view itself
  • :white_check_mark: Add support for more currencies (currently only USD)
  • :white_check_mark: A lot of technical stuff under the hood, especially systems for crash reporting, update management, etc
  • :white_check_mark: Update name, app icon, etc

The second beta (hopefully “feature done” for version one) should include:

• Better Account Information through a Profile Tab
  • :white_check_mark: Transfer money between two pots
  • Pot Goals (Exclusive Feature allowing users to set a goal & deadline for a pot, where it will tell you how much you need to put in each month to get there!)
  • Overdraft Information
  • Direct Debits Information
  • Improvements to transaction list refreshing (to see new transactions)
  • Combine prepaid and current account into one list for easier history
  • Rebranding and design tweaks
  • :white_check_mark: “Good Citizen” changes (Acknowledgements for used libraries, etc)
  • I suspect quite the number of bug fixes and minor tweaks

Obviously this is met with the usual “things might change” but this is what I would like to see in the first public release! If you think I’m overlooking something, please do shout!

(Got an even longer list of things beyond V1 but let’s see how we get on)

5 Likes

Have you got this project on github?

2 Likes

Not at the moment :cry:

I’ve not ruled it out, I do love open source work so it’s plausible I will but because of the level of experimentation I’ve been doing and the speed of changes - I didn’t want that to become a bottleneck for changes!

2 Likes

experiment with some native macOS building

:heart:

2 Likes