Create custom categories

(Costa Giannakopoulos) #1

Hi whilst I think the existing list of categories of spending is ok I do think some of them are not accurate enough for what I need.

It would be really good if each user had the option to customise their own categories.

I play 5 a side 3 times a week which costs me money and have a monthly gym membership. I’d like to create a fitness category. Not everyone would need this category which is why making some of them customisable would be great and each user would have specific categories that are meaningful to them.

What you think?

(Michael) #2

I don’t mean to shoot down your idea (I would also like them), but unfortunately custom categories has already been discussed and for now we have to make do with #tags on transactions.

Edit: I’ve been budgeting for around 3 years now and have actually found less categories improves budgeting.
More categories tends to mean you justify costs to yourself, sometimes with silly categories like Coffee or Netflix. It’s easy to see that you spend less than £20 a month on either of those, but bundle them in to Entertainment and Eating Out and it soon all adds up.

(Toby Toller) #3

Entertainment

Personal Care

Also this:

(Bradley) #4

Coffee?

And before you tell me it’s “eating out”… I don’t eat my coffee :wink:

(Toby Toller) #5

Personal care then :joy:

(Michael) #6

My son likes eating instant coffee (he’s only 2). We try not to let him but he can get it by himself :frowning:

Cool. I tried weaning my kids on Marmite and curry, I should try coffee as well :wink:

(Mark Dunne) #8

Custom categories would be great! The personal care category is good but it would be better if you could have a drop down assign things like dental, prescriptions, hair cuts etc

(Change Works) #9

Yep. Me too.

(Tom Halloran) #10

As folks said above you can use #tags for this purpose - although it has to be said they don’t do much at the moment. All you can do now is search transactions using the tag (which probably would have worked anyway if you just wrote “Gym” in the notes instead of “#gym”, right?).

I assume the intention is to put more analytics around the tags, e.g. how much spent, and maybe to have them sit alongside the standard Monzo categories within Summary. Then if you could have a toggle switch to say ‘always assign this retailer to this tag’ you would be close to having custom categories

I don’t know if this is the direction though, anyone know?

(Edward) #11

Seems a bit of a faff compared to adding custom categories. Now you have two different categorisation systems you need to maintain, and need to mix and match between them to try and bodge together some semblance of the functionality you actually need.

(Tom Halloran) #12

Yeah the interplay between them would be messy, not to mention confusing for the user. I agree it seems kinda over the top