✅ Custom Category Creation

For me, as I am not using it as my main bank yet (and if Monzo is hopeful I will) it will have investments, income, tax etc as standard. I agree that bespoke categories would be great, but for now, just more options. I am having a hard time really looking at what I spending because the categories are so vague. Good examples of low hanging fruit would be “Takeaways”, “Eating out”, “Clothes etc” “Nights out”, (big one for me “Coffee”)

2 Likes

I came here to see if anyone else is interested in a Health and Wellness (or “Vanity”) category.
A huge proportion of my monthly budget goes to gym or dance classes, my personal trainer or physio therapy/osteopathy. These currently fall under General or Entertainment… which really doesn’t do it justice. Same goes with purchases at Boots/ Superdrug, pharmacies, or beauty appointments like getting nails done or waxing or whatever.
Custom categories would solve this for me, but adding a couple more could also help.
Thanks!

3 Likes

While I don’t get nails done or waxing, I agree it is a good idea for Massage, Chiropractor, Physio, Sauna etc to be categorised together as vanity type treatments, but as for purchases from Boots etc, I would want drugs and supplements, pills and capsules etc categorised separately

Custom tags to arrange it however you like.

2 Likes

#tags is a good idea :thinking:

4 Likes

Hi what I would like is for there to be an ability to set parameters for sub-categories.

For example designate a purchase as “Lunch” regardless of which merchant I buy food from and based on the day and/or time it was bought …

Custom Parameters:
Category = Food
Sub-Category = Lunch
Day = MTWTF
Time = 12pm to 3pm

2 Likes

#tags is a good idea

I’d really rather first class custom categories which I can just edit, so that the breakdown reflects what I want to see, not what Monzo thinks I might want to see. Failing that just give us a lot more options and hide unused ones. The problem with #tags is that they’re useful only for searching, not for making breakdown useful or for export to accounting software.

2 Likes

For me a category “Transfer” would be good as some things I do not regards as expenditure or income. That could be an internal transfer to/from main account and a pot, or to/from Monzo account and a secondary account

6 Likes

Starling have commented in their community this weekend that they plan to introduce custom categories.

3 Likes

Personal care as a sub cat for health and fitness, or maybe a health and beauty as a stand alone category.

1 Like

Personal care
Pets
Subscription
Occasions (eg Christmas and birthdays)
Repayment (ok bills covers this but if you want to pay extra)
School (“voluntary” contribution, Uniform, trips etc)
Day out

I think custom categories is the only solution

The more I think about this the more I think it’s the case. There are too many different priorities and this is not something that Monzo can adequately address on their own - for those that want to use this data. For Monzo to use this data it needs to be accurate, not polluted by people misusing categories because of the inadequate ones available (as they do now).

A nice start would be hiding inactive categories in the list, then at least I won’t have to look at stuff which is unused and hopefully they’d be less unwilling to add new categories for niche requirements.

3 Likes

Yep, nowhere at the moment to put medical expenses such as prescriptions, dentists payments etc.

1 Like

:eyes:

https://twitter.com/monzo/status/983291686947381248

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to getting that free toy rocket

:eyes:

3 Likes

I think I know what is this… # tags are clickable now

Add a # tag to any transaction in the notes. It will act as a filter. I really like this and it will help people have multiple tags for the same transaction.

Screenshot_20180409-124142Screenshot_20180409-124147

6 Likes

Taking a look in the sneak peek section of the app, I can see that there are two new categories confirmed to be coming these are:

• Personal Care
  • Family

I currently use Monzo for my ‘Fun money’; every month I transfer £300 to my Monzo and that’s my spending money for the month whether it’s clothes, take away, eating out, pub etc.

I’d like to ideally just use Monzo for all my banking needs, but doing so makes my ‘Fun money’ less transparent.

While I can allocate a target to things like ‘Eating out’ I don’t want to set a separate target for eating out and one for shopping. Some months I might spend less on shopping and more on eating out. So it’d be great to just set my own ‘Fun Money’ category and therefore target.

OR Monzo adds more categories, maybe one that is just ‘Spending money’ or ‘Fun money’ etc

2 Likes

This is where primary and secondary categories would make sense to me.

Hey everyone, you can now add custom tags to your transactions! :tada:

Tags work in a similar way to categories, but you’re completely in control of what they’re called, and which payments they belong to.

Let us know what you think!

2 Likes