Custom Categories - 9

A new feature i think would be really useful is the ability to create your own categories and sub categories. Definitely a feature that would make tracking my spending much easier

Hey Ryan, welcome to the community!

This is a popular request but I’m afraid it’s not going to be delivered in the foreseeable future, check out this post for more…

https://community.monzo.com/t/custom-categories-2/6461/5?u=alexs

I have read the different threads about this at some point and it seems the argument against is always back to the point above. And it does make sense. However we could still have the current categories as “Major categories” that Monzo can use for their analytics and all, and then have custom sub categories that we can use however we want! Everything still rolls up to a “major category” so this should have no impact on Monzo side. The sub categorisation could even be a GUI only thing on the app if needed and then if at a later stage Monzo feels they can use the sub categorisation on the back end side then it’s all there to use.

What think? What’s the issue/concern with this approach?

1 Like

I’ve suggested the sub categories approach before. To be honest I think they have bigger fish to fry.

I find that the categories Monzo have defined are pretty worthless for me, so I drag all my data down over the API into a spreadsheet and add my own categories. Those all get sent back via the API as custom metadata, that way they are backed up and easily accessible if Monzo ever allows another way to access my data (like a CSV download).

Perhaps a similar approach would help you?
Given the number of people who have asked for custom categories, I’ll be surprised if it never appears in some form.

2 Likes

@Kabe

I’m definitely in favor of this idea too. Funnily enough, I was thinking about this some more today & the only risk that I still think is there, is a user totaling up all spend from Drinking (sub-category) + all spend from Entertainment parent category & not realizing that the sub category spend is part of the Entertainment total - so essentially point 1 from Hugo’s comments on this.
But in the worst case scenario, if this was a frequent issue, I’m sure the app could pick up on what the user was doing & display an alert.

Following on from Andy’s comment -

this is what James (who works for Monzo) had to say about this today

so there’s definitely hope. On the other hand, Hugo has liked a couple of my comments where I’ve suggested that custom categories won’t be added in the foreseeable future (& likes from Hugo are pretty rare :wink:). But I was explaining the benefits of aggregation too so who knows…it’s all about the anticipation :slight_smile:

1 Like