✅ Custom Category Creation

Hi all :wave:
I agree about customizing the categories.

In particular, I was looking for a category where I can assign all the work related expenses.
For example, the food I buy for work, travels, etc…

So that I can figure out how much I am spending for work :briefcase: and divide the bill from my private shopping :video_game:.

Thank you in advance :slight_smile:

there is an “expenses” category which could be used - you would have to shop separately - work / home - for groceries to allocate to expenses , but you could then search category and find out how much you are spending exactly ?

Hi,
I was using “expenses” to divide my personal shopping from the "shared-house shopping”.
I will give it a try and I will use “expenses” for the work shopping.

1 Like

Absolutely think custom categories are needed. Without it the budgeting isn’t as useful (and sometimes just completely inaccurate).

We’ll end up with loads in “general” because it doesn’t quite fit anywhere else. Things such as charity, gifts etc.

I actually think “general” should be removed because it doesn’t say anything. Everything should be able to get categorised, and if it can’t be, should end up in an uncategorised state rather than general.

Is there a reason why Monzo don’t have a charity category?

I suspect it is because the current categories fit in to a neat 4 x 4 grid!

I’d very much like custom categories, or at least much more fine grained categories than the current ones. I still use You Need a Budget heavily and would like to reflect the spending categories in Monzo that I have in YNAB. Maybe you could do some sort of survey for the most desired new categories and then add these?

Categories in my opinion are extremely limiting when organising threads on forums and as a result should be kept to an absolute minimum. Categories act more to restrict the reach of the conversation rather than to expand it.

What monzo should do is enable tagging within their discourse community instead. Tagging is a much more dynamic and natural way for organising data and will allow for a natural evolution of the organisation over time as interests change.

Also by tracking the popularity of tags gives monzo an insight to the few essential categories they should create since it’s based directly off user demand.

Check out this article on tagging within discourse communities. https://blog.discourse.org/2017/10/its-time-we-talked-about-tags/

2 Likes

Good Morning!

Just a couple of suggestions from me - would be really good to select the names and icons of my own spending categories such as Credit Card Payments or Loan Repayments etc. Also, separating our House Expenses from Bill’s would be great.

A purely cosmetic one here - but it would be great to be able to add a picture to the standing orders like the Direct Debits.

Thank guys - great Bank! For the first time I am excited to get my salary paid into my bank and leave there instead of spending it all!

I’ve merged a number of threads here to keep the chatter in one place, be aware it may not be in chronological order.

Latest update on new/custom categories here:

Thank God it’s not a confusing mess.

2 Likes

I’m so confused. Merging threads works but now this is just all out of whack and order…

I’ll go make a coffee to get my head around it :joy:

1 Like

Got anything stronger, coffee’s not going to do it :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Sorry, I agree it is a mess,

There were a number of topics all about the same subject so I thought it may be best to merge (Not the best choice).
I’ve made some changes to keep it in chronological order as best I can.
I’ll have a chat with the rest of the Coral Crew on how to manage fragmented topics in future.

No more merging :no_good_man:

1 Like

Totally agree about renaming categories, especially in the world of joint accounts where you need both people to know what means what.

Definitely need to have custom categories, also there should be some additional categories that are missing like lifestyle or leisure etc

2 Likes

Unfortunately I expect Monzo to double down and blankly refuse to give us Custom Categories.

Even though id say this would be up there in the top 5? requested features they just refuse to do this it seems.

So I had a little Twitter exchange with the Monzo team and mentioned that perhaps we could all ask for a few more categories, the Monzo team can collate the responses and then we can all take a vote and maybe the top 3 get added? I’m still in favour of custom categories but I can imagine that it can get messy to maintain…

Honestly I think subcategories are the way to go to resolve this for example:

With no change to how they currently work auto-categorisation we could have Entertainment sub categories for dates, drinks etc.

Gives us flexibility without wrecking their logic?

2 Likes

Yeah this is a good point. I like the idea of sub categories personally and I think that this might help alleviate some of the need to have additional categories.

1 Like