Simple Questions Thread (Newbie friendly 🙂)

What’s the one thing you’ve always wanted to know about Monzo, but been too afraid to ask? Or is there something you just don’t get?

In this thread, feel free to ask anything you’d like. And remember: there’s no such such thing as a stupid question.

13 Likes

How does the app capture the address of purchases made at a physical store? Is this information shared via the merchant or does the app make a snapshot of where you were when the transaction was made?

The location data is shared by the merchant to Monzo along with the name of the merchant and the transaction value etc :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Off topic, but that closed bracket on its own line is pinching at my OCD. Can it be changed? :grin:

15 Likes

I’ve dropped a character from the title.

8 Likes

Love this idea! Internally, we have an #ask Slack channel which exists for us to ask questions in a judgment-free way, so I’m real happy we’re doing this here.

4 Likes

Most banks charge an unpaid transaction fee, Monzo obviously don’t. Is that because they have a better, more streamlined process which costs them less or that other banks just pick an arbitrary amount to charge?

2 Likes

I could be wrong, but I don’t think if(amount_in_account < transaction_amount) is a massive strain on computing resources :wink:

I think it would be a significant amount of work for us to implement charging for missed Direct Debits etc!

15 Likes

I’ve got to have faith in a company with those naming conventions :sweat_smile:

I have a question with the joint accounts that are coming, do both parties need to be uk citizens? On that… is it mandatory that they’re a uk citizen at all? :thinking:

2 Likes

From my understanding, both parties will need to be a resident of the UK. They’ll also both be required to have a personal Monzo Account before getting a join account. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I assumed them needing to be citizens would be the case due to needing a personal account.

I hope there will be a solution because my fiance is german. :confused:

I believe there is a difference between being a Citizen and being a Resident. I think a UK resident is defined as the following “a person who has their main home in the United Kingdom” but I may be wrong… If so feel free to correct me :see_no_evil:

5 Likes

Oh so they’re just required to be a resident, that’s ok then. I was worried her German ID would be an issue to be honest. Cheers.

1 Like

I can definitively confirm - having opened an account with a German ID - that this is no problem at all :wink:

5 Likes

Obviously the question on everyone’s lips: What DID happen with Apple Pay?

6 Likes

The first rule of the Apple Pay club, don’t mention Apple Pay

13 Likes

Did someone say Apple Pay? :eyes:

10 Likes

Hi!

In my previous current account, I had a standing order each month on the 15th. If the 15th was a Saturday, they wait until Monday to make the transfer.

I’d like to know how it is possible that Monzo can make standing orders happen on the weekend too, where legacy banks can’t :slight_smile:

3 Likes

There are four distinct types of faster payment, the main three being:
• Single Immediate Payments
• Forward-dated Payments
• Standing Orders

If Monzo are treating a standing order as a forward dated payment or single immediate payment it can be sent 7 days a week, where legacy banks may be sending out standing orders they may be doing it as a standing order which can only be sent 5 days a week.

4 Likes