Monzo.me for joint accounts?

It would be useful to be able to make Monzo.me requests for a joint account, as we can with our personal accounts. Is this something that could happen in the future?

13 Likes

Good idea, I’ve not heard of anything regarding this, I can’t see why not I mean if people want to use it as their main account and they are relying on the feature for bill splitting it should exist.

3 Likes

Just went looking for this. Our joint account is our only active and main account and this would be a great feature!

2 Likes

Agree, I’d like to see this.

Had the option of using Monzo.me with a friend at the weekend but had to revert to using my personal Monzo account and transferring across. Joint Account support would be fantastic.

2 Likes

Yes, I could have used it yesterday night.

Good idea! And support to change the username also.

1 Like

Monzo.us

9 Likes

Nooo I came here to comment the exact same thing! :joy::joy:

1 Like

This is pretty much essential now with the bill splitting feature.

I’d definitely like this as I just learned the hard way I can’t do this with joint account. only AFTER paying for the whole bill on behalf of everyone and can’t split it because they aren’t with Monzo :confounded:

Where does this fall on the roadmap?

2 Likes

Given the monzo.me limits on the personal account are so stingy, I suspect the brake on this is that they don’t want people increasing their allowance simply by opening a joint account.

Haven’t seen any plans to do it on joint account and I’ve got a sneaky suspicion it’s around the url naming and how that works. In the meantime the easiest work around is just to use one of the sole accounts and transfer money

That hadn’t occurred to me but you might be on to something. Does monzo.me get used quite a lot that having a joint account just to double the limit is appealing? The limit is £1000 a month isn’t it? Considering I’ve never used it, that seems reasonable for my needs.

Re: workaround, yeah I have sent them links to my personal one and will transfer it to joint after. It’s just a shame it can’t be factored into the split bill for budget reasons

Bottom line is that it’s quite expensive for Monzo, but there are plenty of reasons people might want to use the allowance.
Particularly since debit card topups were stopped.

https://community.monzo.com/t/topping-up-own-account-via-monzo-me/46713

The policy is already quite restrictive, probably for this reason

https://community.monzo.com/t/monzo-me-payment-failed-because/51658

I don’t think Monzo are alone in keeping tight control of these limits. Starling doesn’t have settle up on joint accounts either.

2 Likes

It might also explain the distinct lack of comment from Monzo staff on this thread.
The thread when they turned off debit card topups went on and on…

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. Slightly off topic, I don’t seem to be able to do split bill with non Monzo person in my sole account either. I’m on Android is it only available for iOS?

Replying to my own question. I found out how to do split bills for non-monzo people, you just can’t do that until you have split it with at least one Monzo person first. That’s a bit if a UX bug I think. I added a Monzo friend just so I could split the bill with the non Monzo people, but then I couldn’t remove him. Setting his share to 0 didn’t work either, he ended up with an equal share which he declined. Now everyone else is set with the wrong amount which I can’t change. Think I may have to raise a bug. :bug:

Again replying to my own post. It is possible to use monzo.me with a joint account when splitting a bill. I asked in a help thread and it was answered.

I pretty much only use the joint account as that’s how my partner and I have always done our banking. However when someone request a payment from me I can only pay from my soul account. Am I missing something here? Or is this something that is not currently possible

3 Likes

It’s not currently possible. Still quite a few features that don’t exist on joint account yet

1 Like