Introducing the new Monzo Plus

Yes. If you’re worried about touching it, put the first 2k in a regular pot. It’ll earn more interest that way than any of their built in savings pot offerings. Of course if you have an instant access account elsewhere that pays more, such as Marcus, keep sending your money to those until you hit the £85k FSCS limit.

@Jonesyriffic @BenLeo thanks for sharing they are great!

Here’s also the Gradient in the plus background I recreated for pot images if anyone wants it:

3 Likes

I like the idea of monzo plus but I only use Joint accounts :frowning: so as usual we miss out on the new features.

3 Likes

I hope that plus does make the difference for Monzo but personally I feel a little underwhelmed, I was hoping for more. I had the offer as I’m an ex plus customer but other than the virtual cards, I’m not sure I’d get much out of it personally.

Hopefully they’ll add more in time and I can get interested again.

I’d get it once it goes to joint accounts too

1 Like

Oooh so it’s constantly refreshing/checking?!

I thought once it was in sheets that was it! That’s even better!

2 Likes

As soon as I connected I started changing categories to see them update realtime.

Super mesmerising.,…

3 Likes

Socks match the card, nice touch

1 Like

Just need a way to get it to work the other way round. Move a decimal point in Sheets, and bingo! I’m a millionaire!

4 Likes

I’ve connected some additional accounts and what’s noticeable in the feed is because there’s no merchant enrichment, the transactions and the dates are indistinguishable. Perhaps merchant enrichment will come later but even if for now you added the logo of the bank next to each transaction that would help.

1 Like

After having a few days to think about the plan, I do like it but won’t be signing up just yet.

In my view there needs to be better selection of offers from a range of retailers. My understanding is none currently on offer are unique. When I think of banking offers the best that come to mind are Amex & Halifax or previous offers monzo has done with Greggs / Pret (not sure how sustainable these are though).

Presuming monzo continue to enhance the plan with new Pro features I’ll likely sign up at some point.

I‘d like to see the introduction of higher tier which includes more costly additions of sorts. It would also be good to see a form of this for joint accounts.

1 Like

@tjvr @tomdavies I messaged NatWest as suggested about being unable to add savings accounts and they passed the book… Shot in the dark, but what next, ha?

Not surprised by that honestly. I can see this happening a lot in many situations, and as end users it’s hard to tell who is telling the truth.

The way I see it, is that this is Monzo’s feature, so it’s up to them to get issues fixed, not us as users, or the bank it’s having issues with. If it turns out to be an issue with the other bank, then monzo need to liaise with them to get it fixed.

I suspect we’ll see more of this, and it may well be the other bank at fault. But as the feature is owned by Monzo, for us as the end user of Monzo’s feature, the issue is with Monzo and should be raised with them, because the burden of making sure it works with other banks (even when the other bank is at fault) is Monzo’s, not ours, and not the other banks of which we are customers.

These look great. Where did you get the icons? Wanting to create something similar for myself.

Have to say, I’m impressed by the speed of NatWest’s response and the fact that they send a text message to let you know they have replied.

Can you try adding NatWest account, via open banking, in the new moneydashboard app? Do savings appear in that one? I see some savings accounts from some banks in MD that I do not see in Monzo. If it MD & NatWest works then we might be able to tell that Monzo may need to do something. Otherwise it may suggest that NatWest are not sharing savings data.

When you register natwest for open Banking you have to give your consent for which accounts they allow other people to see - in all cases when I have given consent for open banking with natwest i have never been able to consent to any account other than my current account with them.

Also, I use Emma and they sent an email out last year saying RBS/Natwest deliberately didn’t allow other parties seen savings, loans or mortgage accounts.

So it’s not Monzo in this case, it’s Natwest.

2 Likes

I’m not sure the in app chat agents may be aware of the specific ins and outs of open banking in regards to the specific natwest implementation to outside banks.

You might be better emailing them, or specifically requesting it as a feature on social media since it’s not a bug (on NatWest’s side).

Savings accounts will not appear for almost any bank as savings accounts are not used for payments. Since the regulation mandated that certain banks must implement an API for accounts you can make payments from this is why you see current accounts and credit cards but not savings accounts.

It’s just an effect of law forcing a regulation on an industry. You might see this change slowly over time as banks naturally start to spend some resources on it when it makes more sense so do so. (As mentioned by @glasgow) I hadn’t realised NatWest had already updated their API so this is indeed one for Monzo to fix not NatWest

Hi everyone! :wave:

With over 1750 posts in this thread, we think it’s time to split out into separate threads so we can focus the discussion a bit more. There’s threads for each feature, so please come and join there!

Feature discussion threads
Monzo Plus: Holographic card discussion
Monzo Plus: Custom Categories
Monzo Plus: Virtual Cards
Monzo Plus: Credit Scores
Monzo Plus: Interest
Monzo Plus: Offers
Monzo Plus: Data Export - Share your tips!
Monzo Plus: External accounts

Other common topics:
Monzo Plus and joint accounts
New Custom Category suggestions

Existing idea threads:
Pay virtual cards from a Pot
Set spending limits on virtual cards
New Plus app icon
Manually add unsupported external accounts

@Peter_G has also created a thread of flash polls if you want to share your instant reactions!

If there’s anything we’ve missed, let us know. Or if you think we need an extra ‘general’ discussion thread that isn’t feature specific, we can have that too :slight_smile:

20 Likes