Monzo Plus/Premium: Offers

Splitting off from the main Plus thread, please use this thread to discuss the Monzo Plus offers :shopping:

3 Likes

Seems like a bit of a pointless feature at the minute. The offers are those naff ones that you get in Ticketmaster envelopes or literally any online purchase that usually get put in the bin.

Why not team up with something like Perkbox or Xexec that provides actually useful offers like vouchers/discounts?

28 Likes

The best offer from last plus was for Pact coffee as it wasnā€™t a code I could just go find from a voucher site; more like this please.

4 Likes

I have no use for any of those offers however Iā€™m told that Patch are pretty good so may give them a go at some point.

I hope they update these offers regularly and have good mix to make it worthwhile for everyone.

1 Like

theyā€™re a bit rubbish, doubt Iā€™d use any of them

9 Likes

Yeah same here sadly all the offers have no use to me at all

5 Likes

Nothing there to encourage me to join Plus.

4 Likes

This feature feels very reminiscent of the N26 offering. Itā€™s nice to get offers, but in the 18 months I was with N26 I never used a single offer. As it stands with the current Monzo ones, I suspect itā€™ll be the same.

Shortly after I began using Revolut, they changed their perks into a rewards system. In the 3 months or so that Iā€™ve been using them, Iā€™ve used three of them. This comes down to the fact that there are substantially more offers, and with more well known brands. Iā€™m hoping to see this head in a similar direction as revolut. The brand matters more than the value of the offers as Iā€™m more likely to take advantage of 5% off at Uniqlo, or Nike, than 50% off some app subscription Iā€™ve ever never heard of.

Edit: I should probably add for clarity that some of Revolutā€™s offers are cashback rather than % off, but itā€™s still a discount all the same, and I suspect is the reason why theyā€™re able to plug into more and better known brands.

13 Likes

This is a tough one as unless they appeal to you directly then people wonā€™t like them.

But the current ones are not the best.

1 Like

But are these similar cashback rates that can be achieved via sites such as TopCashback or Quidco?

If Monzo could make the cashback pretty much instant (rather than waiting literally months) and paid back directly into your bank account thatā€™d be killer.

11 Likes

I believe theyā€™re less, but I donā€™t use any cashback sites, so donā€™t benefit from it, and with them being in the middle it creates hassle and friction that the reward usually isnā€™t worth it, which is something Revolut solves.

1 Like

Yeah, the instant credit of the cashback from banks is more beneficial than the months of wait for the cashback, if itā€™s actually confirmed.

I have made over Ā£1,200 from TCB over the years, however, it does require a lot of patience too.

2 Likes

I guess the issue with cash back is that itā€™s the retailers that delay things.

I donā€™t mind the wait. Itā€™s free money!

3 Likes

GoCompare are the worst offenders for declining, in my experience.

Others tend to pay up, eventually.

Amex do Ā£5 for Ā£10 spend at selected small businesses.

Is there something similar to this that Monzo could investigate, perhaps?

2 Likes

Fully appreciate that the offers, as well as a discount for the user, give the retailer/business some publicity at the expense of a discount, but in this scenario they are rendered useless for users that might already be customers of the place.

In my particular case, HelloFresh for example would be the only ā€œusableā€ one, except for the fact that it only applies to new customers, so they donā€™t seem to me designed for everyday spending (yet anyway)

2 Likes

Yeah these just feel like they are offers for offers sake IMO. Looks like I can get all but the Babylon offer by Googling offers which I would do anyway beforehand if I was going to purchase so not sure on why the offers should be a paid feature at the minute - these may change though as Iā€™ve noticed that it says ā€œcurrentā€ offers.

I do like the idea around the Babylon Health offer, itā€™s pretty niche and not something Iā€™ve personally seen offers for before.

It would be nice to see more offers on larger mainstream merchants. I canā€™t see myself using any of the current ones.

How I would like to see offers developed
I think some of the offers should make me want to sign up to Monzo Plus long term,
I.e.

ā€œIf I sign up to Monzo plus I can get 10% off at Greggs, or another nationwide retailer; I eat there a lot so that would be worth it!ā€

Or

ā€œIf I sign up to Monzo plus I can save 10% on my recurring Spotify membership; Iā€™d save Ā£1 a monthā€

But I currently could never see myself thinking:

ā€œIf I sign up to Monzo plus I can save 50% on Naked Wines.ā€ - This retailer is so common in the offer space Iā€™m not sure if people would actually expect to ever pay full price.

Did offers influence my sign up to Plus?
Nope :pensive:

10 Likes

Definitely hope they evolve into more attractive cashback offers. As others have said pretty much all of these are readily available for ā€˜freeā€™.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve noticed is says on the plus cards World debit MasterCard, which it doesnā€™t say on my regular card, is this specifically for plus?

My current card is a few years old so maybe they all say it now?

And more importantly, does it include anything extra ?
https://sea.mastercard.com/en-region-sea/consumers/find-card-products/debit-cards/world.html