Today we’re releasing a first small step towards our vision of making managing your payees as simple as your phone’s contact list.
In the latest version of the iOS and Android apps, you can now add additional bank accounts to your existing payees, and give each one a nickname to tell them apart.
To add an account to an existing payee:
- Tap on their name in the payee list to view the new payee profile page.
- Tap ‘add account’ and enter their details.
- You’ll then see the account listed with its bank logo if we can find a match.
We think this’ll be useful for friends and family that have multiple accounts (some on Monzo, some elsewhere) - as well as telling apart your own accounts outside of Monzo.
This is a first initial version, and there are some gaps:
- It’s not possible to add a new payee without paying them yet (we wanted to make this change first, to prevent a flood of new payees that then need merging later)
- It’s not possible to add an account to an existing payee directly from the bank transfer flow.
- It’s not possible to merge existing payees, or move an account from one payee to another.
- It’s not possible to rename or edit payees
We’re currently working on an update to the payees service that will allow you to add the same account to multiple payees, perfect for accounts you share with someone else. For now you’ll see an error message when trying to add a duplicate account to a different payee.
Give it a go and let us know what you think!