Redesigned Payment Screen (Early Preview) šŸ‘€

What does the add a contact button at the top do? Does it still open your contacts app, or have Monzo (finally) got around to sorting contacts, too? :eyes:

2 Likes

All the the add contact buttons in the new payments screen take you to your built in contacts app :slightly_smiling_face:

Screenshot_20190309-110657

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never understood the point of that. Kinda bummed itā€™s still like that.

3 Likes

I donā€™t understand the contacts problem? :stuck_out_tongue:

WhatsApp uses my built in contacts app, why shouldnā€™t / wouldnā€™t monzo use it? :grin:

1 Like

I guess itā€™s just the assumption that adding a contact/payee in a banking app means youā€™ll need to add theyā€™re banking details and not hope that by just adding their number theyā€™ll possibly be a Monzo user too.

I guess if you could add sort codes and account numbers and phone numbers to contacts it would be perfect.

I think it depends what they do with it - itā€™s just that in its current form itā€™s largely pointless.

I did hope they might try to extend the contact standards so you could include sort code and account number in your mobile / Google / Apple address books so they could be reused across bank accounts or devices, but it looks like that wonā€™t be happening:

Instead, the half-finished(?) contacts rework seemed to suggest you could have a contact within Monzo that you could hook different accounts off of (you can kinda do that at the moment, but itā€™s still a pain):

It just feels messy and unfinished, imo. Iā€™m just not sure why a button to open your contacts is useful - if you canā€™t put your bank details in there?

6 Likes

Yeah, this would be the ideal situation, if possible.

2 Likes

I see what you are saying. I understand it as the ā€œadd contactā€ button lets you put someoneā€™s number in your phone which in turn will make them appear as a Monzo contact if their number matches an account with Payments with Friends enabled.

Does seem pointless though! :thinking:

Hey all, thank you for all the comments and feedback so far! :hot_coral_heart:

Weā€™ve rolled out the redesign to 20% of customers, if you already have it, what are your first impressions? You need to be on version 2.39 (iOS/Android). And you probably need to kill the app after updating it.

5 Likes

I am lucky to be in that 20 % then. Lol :joy:

I am beyond happy that I can now send my partner (who is also on Monzo) a custom payment request that is dealt with IN APP! :smiley: No more having to send him Whatsapp links!

One thing that would make it perfect would be including payment requests in the area where outstanding bill splits are listed.

1 Like

Thatā€™s great feedback, thank you @BristolMatt! Sending a payment request to non-monzo customers is still available, if you open the payee screen of a non-monzo user. Though it seems you wonā€™t be needing it that soon! :wink:

2 Likes

We appear to have lost the ability to delete previous payees.

IMHO, the same information is repeated in just too many places. Iā€™ve got the same payees in frequent, recent, Friends on Monzo, and finally, ā€˜Allā€™.

If I then tap on Pay or Request, Iā€™m taken to exactly the same information in a separate list! Itā€™s too much.

What I want is a single list of payees, where I can add, delete new bank accounts, and pay those already on Monzo.

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing this @217698, itā€™s super useful for us!

You should still be able to delete a payee by tapping the Edit button, then Delete Payee, from the Payee screen. Let me know if this is not working for you.

I appreciate this might not be the most intuitive solution. If you tap Pay and Request from the main Payments page, then you see a list of your contacts again. The key difference is that when you then tap one of your contacts we take you straight to the amount screen, bypassing the Payee screen because youā€™re already in the Pay or Request flows.

I agree we should have less sections of contacts. On Android thereā€™s only Frequent, Recent, and then All. On iOS thereā€™s an extra section with ā€œMonzo contactsā€ which is redundant since the All section contains all of them too.

4 Likes

Thanks for getting back to me; itā€™s great to know youā€™re listening.

Hey Bruno, I have it! :raised_hands:

A few thoughts:

• I mentioned this above, but Iā€™m not sure why the add contact option is still there for it to only Android contacts app (unless youā€™re looking to add bank details to address book contacts - Iā€™m here for that)
  • it still feels a bit unfinished - I donā€™t understand why itā€™s taken so long to be able to merge or manage contacts.
  • I agree with @217698 in that information is repeated. Thereā€™s no real difference in content for me between frequent and recents. And they look messy because I canā€™t merge them or add contact photos.
  • on the scheduled tab, Iā€™m not sure about the utility of combining upcoming payments and standing orders, and direct debits and subscriptions. Iā€™d much prefer them split out - especially the latter two as theyā€™re very different (to me at least)
  • similarly, Iā€™d find a last paid amount useful for direct debits which Iā€™ve excluded from Summary.
  • And I know why itā€™s been done like this, but I find the split between upcoming payment date and last paid date inelegant and slightly confusing.

That said, itā€™s a big step up, just frustrating that we still seem to be inching very slowly towards excellence with large delays between what seem (on the face of it) to be minor iterations. Iā€™m sure this isnā€™t the case, so sorry if this sounds grumpy, but it feels like this has been promised for a long time and still doesnā€™t quite hit the sweet spot. Iā€™d be delighted to be in the minority, though!

10 Likes

At least you have it!

Feels likes Iā€™ve been waiting an age for this. Starling have had a great implementation for months now and Iā€™ve literally been waiting for this to see if itā€™s good enough to keep me on Monzo.

1 Like

I seem to have the new screen. I was hoping Iā€™d be able to add photos to payees, but it still doesnā€™t seem to be the caseā€¦

Edit: I also canā€™t add payees without paying them first. Itā€™s a total failure for me

Canā€™t wait to try this, sadly Iā€™m not in the lucky 20% Feels like payee management has been soooo long coming but maybe thatā€™s just me being an eager beaver :stopwatch::grinning:

1 Like

I do have the new screen but if im being honest i dont like the new screen.

It doesnt take away the issue that was there with the previous screen, still too much clutter and i echo what the others have said and think theres too much repetition of data :grimacing:

Will the ability to merge contacts come in? I have alot of manual changes that i was holding off to do until this screen come in and seems now ill have to do it anyway.

Also +1 for adding contact photos please :relieved:

edit: also for monzo contacts that i have regular transfers to id like to see there profile photo used in this section also? Is this planned?

2 Likes