PayPoint Shops don’t know how to process cash deposits

ive got it emailed to me, and i had to deposit today, and i knew the shopkeeper personally as i was a regular, so i showed her the email and she managed to do it.

1 Like

It might help to ask the shopkeeper to top up your card rather than make a deposit which is likely confusing.

1 Like

Why do they not want to do it, they have no reason to not want to

I have had numerous experience of being turned away from PayPoints, from my experience the shopkeepers do not want to increase the float in their tills by that much. I wanted to do £100 once, the shopkeeper said it would be £10 or nothing.

I’m yet to actually successfully pay in via paypoint(I’ve tried a lot). I have to keep my legacy bank open(who don’t have a branch anymore either) just so i can pay in at the Post Office.

1 Like

Did you leave the store in a huff giving them a bad look? That’s why I would’ve done (with maybe some additional choice words as well), but I’m aware that most people are much more reasonable than I am.

It does seem a bit silly that this can happen, though understandable if it’s a small shop. It might even be a condition of their insurance :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Likely because smaller businesses don’t want the increased fees when it comes to paying cash into their bank account, especially when they range from values like 20/30p per deposit, to obscene values such as an amount per £100 deposited, or worse a percentage. When you add that into the mix, there’s little incentive to do it.

Additionally, when you make a large cash deposit, the retailer must have those funds available in their bank account in order for paypoint to debit them. The turnaround gives them a window of about 36 hours, which for those who bank one day/two days a week, adds extra overhead. With card payments it’s different.

1 Like

There’s been a heated debate in a few, but always tried to report them back to Monzo and PayPoint, nothing changes though so it’s a waste of time.

Just easier/quicker to rely on a legacy bank and the Post Office now.

Cash & Cheque deposits are my only gripe with Monzo

1 Like

Same here cash and cheques stop me going full monzo.

See this post earlier in the thread, from a PayPoint shopkeeper:

A shopkeeper will earn 10p from PayPoint when you want to deposit £100, but it costs them 70p in bank fees to deposit that into their business account.

I’ll leave you to do the maths, but the shopkeeper makes a loss on your transaction. That is why many shops won’t process it.

2 Likes

£100 per 70p to deposit is ridiculous mentality

Everything single thing has a cost attached to it. It costs Monzo a few quid to send a card out, do you expect them to charge for this? Obviously not.

If it costs them 70p per £100 to deposit, then as a business they should look to convert these PayPoint customer visits into profitable transactions by offering additional products etc. that people want and make the profit off of that.

What did the person I’m quoting say to you when you put that point to them in March, though?

1 Like

The difference is that it’s the cost of doing business for Monzo. Your cash deposits are NOT the cost of doing business for a corner shop.

Say you deposit £100. They’re down 70p. If they then upsell, and maybe you buy a chocolate bar, or a packet of crisps - say it totals £2. You then whip out your monzo card and make a payment. The merchant then loses 1% + an interchange fee of around 12p. You’ve just cost them 84p, and it’s unlikely they’re going to upsell you another £10 of items to even begin to make up the loss they started with.

3 Likes

I thought fixed rate card fees had been done away with?

I’m a small store with a paypoint terminal, I only accept cash payments on paypoo, if people want to use their card they can either pay 60p for cash back or go to the nearest ATM to withdraw cash, I’m currently paying £10 a week for my machine, I’m using it at a loss as are many retailers,my bank charges are 75p for every £100 banked, ive never refused a sale, it’s not in anyone’s interest to refuse a transaction of any sort, i myself used my own machine to load my card, unfortunately the 180 day limit is no use for me, not sure why monzo have such restrictions on it, my pockit card is way better with its limits,£1000 every 180 days is no use for people like myself who want to keep it separate from our bank accounts

As a small shop, how would you feel if you had people making £1,000 cash deposits? Would potentially having tens of thousands in your shop make you feel insecure and be too much responsibility?

I never plan on depositing cash but just curious as it is mentioned quite a lot in this discussion :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d have thought an inaudible ‘tut’ was required in this instance.

3 Likes

It simply wouldn’t happen, the paypoint terminal as well as monzo have deposit limits ( almost sure monzo is £300 per day) most small businesses recycle as much of their cash as they possibly can to avoid the hefty bank fees, wouldn’t be a problem for me having a couple of thousand worth of deposits as money is spent paying suppliers on a daily basis and the rest is taken to the wholesalers for me to buy stock,my shop has been held up on 3 occasions prior to me buying it, it will happen one day, but they’re in for a big shock if they think they’re gonna get any more than a couple of hundred pound lol

2 Likes

Most paypoint shops aren’t turning over enough cash to support monzo, monese , TV license , council tax, utilities and more.

1 Like

It’s why I keep my legacy account open is the £1 fee.
That and my nearest paypoint is 8 miles away and my nearest post office is 1 mile. (Every shop is either payzone in the villages near me or does not offer anything like that)

Why do people have so much cash to deposit?

Where is this cash coming from?

Also I am sure many bills paid at paypoint are over £100.

1 Like