PayPoint Shops don’t know how to process cash deposits

Yes it is.

Sorry, I thought your idea was to make it a ‘cash-free’ bank.

PayPoint, a story.

I was about to drive into town to pay money into my legacy bank and transfer it to Monzo because the £1 charge annoys me. It makes no material difference, but it annoys me and I’m petty. But then I realised it would cost me 50p to park and an extra 20 mins, so I decided to walk to the PayPoint and Post Office across the road, take the hit on the other 50p and realise this PayPoint thing isn’t bargain basement banking after all.

“Hi, can I pay money into my Monzo account please?”

I move toward the PayPoint terminal.

“You need the Post Office,” he says, gesturing a few yards to the other end of the counter.

“No,” I say, “this is Monzo. They use PayPoint.”

“PayPoint is for taking money out and paying bills, not for paying in.”

“Ah, did you not get any info on this?”

“Let me have a look at the terminal.” At least he’s being helpful.

“What’s it called?”

“Monzo.”

“No idea, it just says it’s for paying in bills only. This isn’t a thing. Are you sure you don’t need the Post Office? Never heard of Monzo.”

30 mins later I’m stood in NatWest, having just paid it in within 2 minutes and with no fuss. As a beta user, Monzo Plus customer (it’s a good job he didn’t try to swipe the card, it would’ve disintegrated), an investor and up-until-the-support-started-taking-3-days-for-a-response Monzo enthusiast, this isn’t a great experience. NatWest, on the other hand, did really well.

19 Likes

I really wish Monzo would sit up and listen here.

if i have to pay a pound to deposit well so be it, but id rather pay that for using the Post Office where the staff are fully trained and helpfull. and Monzo really need to rethink the pittifully low limit as well.

2 Likes

Monzo really needs to stop banging this drum. They’ve historically been exceptional at admitting when they got something wrong, but the company line still appears to be that PayPoint is the best solution even in the face of overwhelmingly negative feedback.

I figure they’ve either painted themselves into a contractual corner with PayPoint or cash deposits were just a tick on the Big List and they really don’t care now it’s ‘done’. For me, it whittles away at my confidence in the bank. What used to be a delightful product is showing cracks of neglect and disinterest around the edges.

3 Likes

Overwhelming is probably a big exaggeration, I assume you’re basing this on the same people who keep commenting in the topic on this forum?

I’m certain that Monzo have access to data that we don’t and can therefore support their claims :man_shrugging: Otherwise as you said, I’m sure they would be transparent and own up to their “mistake” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s only if people complain about it. Most people don’t like talking to CS.

1 Like

Well, yes. The community is where COps send people to when they have product feedback and is therefore the best representation of public feedback available to people like you and me. My personal experience of using PayPoint with Monzo has been rubbish. My family’s experience of using PayPoint with Monzo has been rubbish (Monzo had to get on the phone to train the staff while they were waiting more than once). Many of my friends use Monzo and their experiences with PayPoint have been described to me as rubbish.

Perhaps ‘overwhelmingly’ is too strong a statement. I’ll rephrase it to ‘literally everyone I know who’s tried it and almost all of the feedback I’ve bothered to read in the place where Monzo ask for feedback.’

3 Likes

Yeah, people don’t generally feed back after a good experience, though, so without some view of total deposit numbers it’s an almost impossible statistic to determine. It imagine there are contractual constraints here anyway.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I have the same experiences in Dalston district.
I’ve moved to London just a week ago. And I preferred to create Monzo debit card because I don’t have a permanent address yet. The only option that I have, to add money to my card is using PayPoint. However, when I checked the map to find the nearest PayPoint, I realize that some of them are already closed but still on the list and some of them don’t even know the top-up feature. In conclusion, even if I ask 5 different PayPoint shops to add money to my card, they didn’t do that.

So, where is your PayPoint where you can add your money?
I don’t have any different card to transfer my money as well.
Just looking for a solution.

Sorry, but this is just disappointing.

If you rely heavily on cash and you combine this with no local PayPoints then Monzo isn’t for you. Perhaps you were a little too hasty in signing up :slightly_frowning_face:

Your options are:

1. Use a highstreet bank to deposit your cash and transfer it over
  2. Assuming this is your salary, ask for it to be paid directly into your account instead of cash
  3. If it’s just a bit of cash, keep hold of it and use it as full or partial payment on your next purchase. Eg. a weekly grocery shop.

thanks for the feedback.
I came to set up my company in London. So, I don’t have a regular salary for now.

Yeah doing same thing.

All Link ATMs should accept cash deposits for all banks, not just those native to the debit card in use.

Interesting idea but no help to us since Monzo isn’t a Link member!

3 Likes

While we are messing with Paypoint, Barclays realises the value of the Post Office.

BBC News - Barclays u-turn on cash access in post offices

Dunno if this will help at all, but i contacted PayPoint asking for instructions in case i go to a shop that are unsure, and they responded with the following:

Sorry about the difficulties you had topping up your Monzo card. Down below I have put the steps that we advise retailers to follow to complete these type of transactions. If you still experience issues topping up your card we will be happy to help if you call the Contact Centre on 0800 310 0000.

How to process a Monzo transaction:

1. Ask the customer how much they wish to deposit and take the cash
  2. Swipe the customer’s Monzo card
  3. Enter the amount they wish to deposit
  4. Give the customer their receipt and card

Hope this helps anyone

4 Likes

As we’ve discovered, a lot of shop staff know how to do it, they just don’t want to do it.

And, legally, they don’t have to.

1 Like

Would it not be part of their terms with paypoint that they would have to?

Probably.

But just because they offer a product or service, no shopkeeper is compelled to serve anyone if they don’t want to.

Addendum: For me, that’s the Achilles heel using PayPoint over the Post Office; in the latter the staff understand transacting on behalf of all the high street banks is part of their core role, whereas PayPoint is much more of a ‘devolved’ service, with which the shop don’t have to bother if they don’t want.

1 Like

Just screenshot this just in case