Day to day card carry

Funny to read this thread and think that Curve is designed to be the one card to carry rather than the mixture of Debit and credit cards that we all do carry.

Yep, I don’t use my Curve card either.

Referral code: UKNCX …but I recommend you don’t bother with it.

1 Like

The problem with Curve is if you are honest, like I was because I didn’t do any pre-reading on it, you can’t get Curve yet as it is for self employed or business use only so my iOS app is in ‘wait for consumer release mode’. I have tried to get it changed but suddenly they want evidence of invoices, letterheads, websites etc. So I don’t think I’ll ever bother with Curve now…

1 Like

I carry my Monzo debit, HSBC debit (needs removing as it no longer receives my salary), driving license, student ID, RHS membership and a stamp card for Kokoro :sushi:.

I loooove Android Pay and could totally rely on it 100% if it hadn’t been for an episode when it first launched where it asked me to use my card for verification or something at a checkout. With a basketful of shopping and no cards on me it was embarrassing to say the least!

I carry my Monzo debit card and a Curve card. The problem with Curve is although you can link it to Monzo, the card transaction is seen as a credit card, not a debit card, so if the vendor charges for using a credit card, you’re stuck. It does come with a flux capacitor for going back in time up to 14 days though which is great!

I got one and I have never used it, I don’t think I ever will either tbh

Am I the only one who finds Android Pay doesn’t work about 30% of the time? It’s been consistently like that, on both my Pixel and my Samsung before that

I used it on a Samsung Galaxy J5 (which I no longer have) with Starling before Monzo brought it out and it worked every time.

Contrast that with Bunq’s in-house NFC solution which is built into their app…that is dire and rarely works

I had almost no issues since it’s launch and bit surprised that you had problem with Pixel. I have used Andriod Pay on Nexus, OneP 3 and now using one OnePlus 5.

Currently have 7 cards in my ‘minimalist’ kinzd wallet. Although I tend to use monzo on android pay for most of my day to day transactions. But going through this thread has made me realise I should maybe add another Visa debit card for redundancy.:man_shrugging:

• Uni ID card
  • Monzo Card
  • Railcard
  • Uni society membership card
  • NUS Extra cARD
  • Driving licence
  • Nectar Card
    (Also around £20 in notes in the little pouch)

I’m currently rocking 5 cards…

• Monzo Debit
  • Natwest Debit
  • HSBC Credit
  • Driving License
  • Nandos Loyalty Card :eyes:

Too many. I ought to cut down.

• Monzo debit
  • Tesco clubcard
  • HSBC debit
  • Santander business savings operator
  • HSBC credit
  • Climbing wall membership (x3, although two are little “keyfob” types)
  • Driving licence
  • NHS prescription prepayment certificate
  • CAMRA membership (I know…)
  • English Heritage membership

I don’t use most of these on a day-to-day basis but it’s awkward to turn up somewhere and need one I left at home! When I’m confident about Monzo I’ll probably lose the two HSBC cards (the credit card is only used in-person for pay-at-pump fuel).

In theory I can put the Tesco clubcard in Android Pay, but I don’t know how well that will work now Tesco have moved to clubcard being NFC. At the moment Android Pay comes up with a small, nearly unreadable 2D barcode.

I also have a lot of cards but have two wallets, one for use in GB and another for when I go on a trip to Europe.

In my European wallet I keep my EHIC and blood donor card etc and WeSwap currency card along with a few bank cards such as the originals of ones I have stored in Curve. Plus my old UK National Identity Card even though they cancelled the scheme…I am going to keep it there until it’s expiry date in 2020 :wink:

In my UK wallet I have my Curve card and one other bank card in case any problems with it. I also have my Oyster card, and membership cards such the Royal Soc of Medicine. Photos of my kids and business cards from people important to me. There is also a coin pouch which I use to store stamps, a spare SIM card and a trolley token. The bank note section I use for storing vouchers as I never carry cash on me.

Plus I carry my Starling card in a Starling branded stick on pouch on the back of my phone. So I have tended to end up using that more as a result.

1 Like

I use a travel wallet too - it has 4 zipped pockets, and i have UK front left (travel credit cards - Halifax and Santander, my passport, and cash), europe front right (N26, euros, EHIC), flip it over and on the left is US (dollars mainly) and the right Asia (Yen, my suica cards, remnimbi and a few taiwanese dollars).

It’s this one http://www.byronandbrown.co.uk/products/currency-wallet/

• 7 loyalty/membership cards
  • 1 local bus company 10 journey smart card ticket (I really wish they’d get contactless on their buses and/or support daily capping, their day tickets is one of the few things I need cash for, the family ticket is particularly good value).
  • 2 railcards (was 3 until Network Railcard that I don’t use any more expired due to change in journey patterns and being 1 stop beyond edge of the zone) - dang that reminds me, I should have given my wife the family railcard for a trip today ah well only a few £ saving lost.
  • 2 cashback credit cards (visa and mastercard)
  • 2 debit cards (Monzo and Nationwide)
  • ID - Driving licence. Yeah I haven’t driven since passing my test, I’d rather like there to be a credit card sized passport/id card

Several loyalty cards are now on my keychain, though the nectar keychain barcode keeps wearing out. The only loyalty card I’ve managed to get work on the screen is is Tesco Clubcard. Once more barcode readers are updated for reading off screens rather than paper, I’ll be able to drop more of them.

I’ve come across a few occasions lately where the Android Pay isn’t accepted, or isn’t accepted on one card, but is on another, or have to revert to a plastic card as the card machines haven’t been updated for the higher than £30 limit (e.g. local station ticket desk).

I’ve found the Tesco Pay+ and Clubcard QR style barcode work well. Being 2D it can take up less space.

I carry 2 debit, 1 credit, 1 railcard, 2 “membership”, because I can’t use Apple Pay for any of it.

there was and it was a real shame UK abolished it

2 debit, 3 credit, various loyalty

i think …

Turns out there’s the VALIDATE card for photo id and age verification: https://validateuk.co.uk/

2 Likes

Does it count as valid ID though? (ie. for opening a bank account)