Android pay problem

Tried to use my phone to buy something from a charity shop but when I tried(3 times) to pay it declined and said “phone moved too fast”

Tried with my card contactless and it worked fine

Went into greggs and paid with my phone no problem

Was it likely a faulty terminal?

Either a faulty terminal or the phone wasn’t in the right position.

The chip is usually in the centre of the phone so make sure you’re holding it over the terminal in the middle of the phone.

This discussion seems to suggest it’s the terminal as they all differ.

1 Like

How dare you suggest that he searches before starting another one of his “famous” topics :roll_eyes: :rofl:

2 Likes

Where I used to work , every so often the terminal would say that for Google/apple pay but after rebooting the terminal it would work,

I’d guess it was a faulty terminal.

2 Likes

It’s a trend.

I use CBATG a lot in some places.

1 Like

Cool thanks guys
It was an “oldish” looking terminal

1 Like

The terminals at Wilko and Co-op around here always have this problem with Google Pay on my phone, while nowhere else does

I think it’s a problem of a particular group of terminals and/or their software rather than a specific terminal

I find this sometimes with older terminals with my Pixel 2 XL, I have had situations where my phone has been sitting on top of the terminal stationary and had the “phone moved to fast warning”

1 Like

Yeah, totally this. I’m not moving it at all!

Quantum tunneling?

3 Likes

That takes me back. That was my second year lab project at uni many years ago!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Anyone had this before when paying with phone?
Said it when I went to the super market and had to pay with my cards contactless

No problem in the other two shops I tried to pay with.
It has happened before on my old phone in a charity shop every time.

Is it a problem with the terminal?

Looks like a few other people having this issue specifically with Google Pixel phones here:

But it does sound odd… seems weird if, as one of them suggests, they had ‘disabled it’? Apple Pay works fine for me everywhere (well, Monzo Apple Pay that is… Amex Apple Pay picks and chooses where it works, and that’s in places that definitely do accept Amex!)

One question, you said ‘supermarket’… was it Tesco? If so was it a transaction that was over £40? I ask because the contactless logo appears on their card machine on transactions over £40 however you can’t use contactless OR Apple Pay/Android Pay there on transactions over £40… the logo appears because their clubcard is contactless. A very stupid design choice on their part in my opinion!

If they just accepted Apple Pay/Android Pay over £40 it would not be an issue (plenty of places show the contactless logo on large transactions because they accept Apple Pay/Android Pay on large transactions now) but as it stands it causes a lot of confusion!

To add more confusion onto things. Tesco’s is “testing” higher contactless limited for mobile payments (Apple Pay and Google Pay) in some stores but not all.

So it’s a hit and miss depending on what store as far as I’m aware.

Yea it was and it was under £40
Gregg’s and my newsagent it worked fine

Oh that’s kind of positive news at least! The sooner it rolls out everywhere, the better!

Hmm, if it was under £40, not sure. The other thing is, the contactless logo comes up before you even select a payment type… so the contactless logo is almost constantly on the payment terminal screen. You can’t use any payment however until you select your payment type (or the till operator selects it) and the amount appears on the card machine.

There’s a good chance it was just a dodgy card reader (that Reddit thread shows your not alone in this) and for a long time at my local Waitrose there was 1 specific self serve till that wouldn’t take Apple Pay… took chip and pin fine, but not Apple Pay, and it went unfixed for months and months…

But there is also a good chance it’s just Tesco’s crappy implementation of contactless payment /mobile payment/loyalty scanning!

I’ve had this once or twice at a couple of places. Tends to be how I place my phone on the terminal. I have a galaxy note 10 plus which is quite big and when I’m paying on a terminal that isn’t a standard chip and pin machine e.g. those all in one payment terminals some places have I’m never quite sure where to put the phone and I hear a beep but I’ve been moving the phone and I get the too fast message. The phone tells me though try again and I always have got it to go through after trying a second time.