What would make Monzo so much better for you?

If a feature you put hours into is dismissed summarily then the problem is in whoever told you to spend hours on it - they failed at doing proper user testing, collecting feedback, figuring out if the users wanted the feature to begin with.

2 Likes

One tap toggling between Personal and Joint account.

4 Likes

I discovered the other day that if you long press anywhere on the bottom bar (iOS), the account switcher pops up.

Not one-tap, but quicker than going via the Account screen

This!! :+1::+1:

1 Like

That’s half of it, but it doesn’t excuse some of the dismissive language which accompanies the reviews. I may be soft, but I’d hate to see that written about my work. At least tell me in a positive way.

But that’s just me. :flushed:

7 Likes

To be honest, I would understand being lenient when the product was at a beta stage. But now that the product is officially released, I think it’s fair for people to speak up if a feature or design sucks. Not the customers’ fault if Monzo has severely dropped the ball since the beta (it’s sad to say that the design was more polished during the prepaid beta period than now).

4 Likes

I’m sure the folks at Monzo would welcome your insightful and cogent analysis of the deficiencies of the current design and how they could make it more polished.

5 Likes

I’m sure some of it stems to back when they were a pre-pay only product/app, so needed much less in the app than they do now, as a full bank.

2 Likes

https://community.monzo.com/t/please-bring-back-the-old-card-screen/27288

https://community.monzo.com/t/discussion-quality-assurance-within-monzo/39946/67?u=rjevski

https://community.monzo.com/t/what-is-your-best-and-worst-monzo-feature-or-service/40573/23?u=rjevski

I have shared my complaints several times already. I’m sure the folks at Monzo who actually develop the stuff are listening, but someone above keeps prioritising useless features (tags, seriously?) instead. Sadly it is a way too common thing that management prefers focusing on “engagement” (whatever that means), “growth” and meaningless metrics instead of actually making the app work for their committed customers (who helped bring the product to life in the first place).

6 Likes

BRILLIANT! It works! Thanks a bunch :grin:

1 Like

Monzo seems to have this reputation as being for students, and I’ve read older people saying they felt more drawn to Starling because of this. Therefore, if the app could feel more professionally refined, then it would bring in some of those typically drawn to Starling.

The Starling app screams banking app, whereas Monzo’s is very different, and doesn’t look like your typical banking app - To branch out into mass market appeal, I think Monzo needs to try to appeal to the older age bracket as well.

2 Likes

I’m almost 40 and it appeals to me so I’m not sure what you’re basing that on

8 Likes

I’m not talking about on here. I’ve just seen comments elsewhere of people saying that they felt like Monzo was targeting students and that Starling is better for over 30+. I’m not saying it’s what I necessarily agree with, but all opinions are valid.

I think if you have a predefined vision of what you think a banking app looked like then maybe Monzo wouldn’t suit. But why does it have to look like that? Isn’t that doing something just because everyone else is?

5 Likes

What kinda pots you after?

+1 from me on these ones:

2 Likes

before elsewhere was closed?

11 Likes

Same here I am not far of by two years to 40 and I like Monzo.

3 Likes

I refute this also :wink:.

4 Likes

I definitely prefer the Monzo design and I’m in the over 30s camp.

Most of the time, the app works in a natural manner - and things are where I would intuit them to be. For sure as they grow and add new features that natural workflow is I think getting harder to maintain consistency, but I prefer the design for sure.

12 Likes

There’s a real difference between app and forum.

Both Starling and Monzo (despite being very different) are excellent in their respective ways - similar feature list at the core and variations around the edges. They’ll ultimately deliver pretty much the same but look and feel different. On that basis, they can and do appeal to a broad audience.

I’ve used both and despite being older than most, find Monzo a refreshing, responsive, attractive and ultimately, reliable account to have.

The acid-test - when one stops chatting about it, does it stand up as a go-to current account out in the field? It does.

Community-wise, Monzo has always prided itself on the forum and the sheer size of it leans it toward a younger (challenger-bank-hungry) demographic.

Starling never really embraced that element of community and (despite an energetic attempt amongst its faithful) doesn’t appear to value the idea of encouraging its customers to do the promoting. It’s app though, is a class act too.

So long story…er long, when the talking stops, Monzo is no more a millennials, Generation X/Y or Baby-boomer’s account than any other offering. Its forum, though, is whatever those using it want it to be.

Graham Butler, News at Ten - Scarborough (on holiday) :grinning:

15 Likes