Waldo, Smol and other practical subscription services

The Bristol one was fun… hic!

(Richard Cook) #102

6 posts were split to a new topic: Recommended pet insurance? :cat2: :dog2:

(Simon B) #103

Just received the DaySoft lenses. Amazed at the packaging! It’s like the opposite of Amazon who sometimes send me a tiny item in a massive box.

(Andy) #105

Craft gin club. That is my favourite subscription. Albeit maybe not quite so practical!

(Jedihomer Townend) #106

I’ve got that too… No idea how I’ve managed to work at an office and not have Gin delivered… :wink:

(Louis Otto) #107

Got my Smol delivery yesterday, put a load on last night and put it out this morning - really nice fragrance, love the packaging as well, will definitely be continuing my subscription :+1:

Got my trial from Who Gives a Crap as well, but haven’t tried it yet. Had a quick feel of the rolls and I have to say bamboo is far superior to the recycled stuff, but will wait before making a decision to continue or not, as £40 a box still seems quite a lot!

(Ben) #108

@louisotto roll for roll / sheet for sheet - the Who Gives a Crap works out just a touch cheaper than Andrex Quilted Softness (or whatever it’s called).

Their rolls are extra long too - more bang for your buck.

Though you do need storage for 48 loo rolls which might be tough!

They also spend time on the most critical issue I face when choosing which brands to engage with, and I think frankly Monzo could follow in their footsteps:

(Louis Otto) #109

@BritishLibrary Their tone of voice is just superb. My other half works in design and also really appreciates the little touches they put in, like the welcome note you get in the trial. Very good :+1:

I use Dollar Shave Club and pay £3 a month for five blades. Perfectly good shave and excellent value! I’ve got a referral code somewhere if anyone wants one!

(Brian Hunter) #111

Anyone use Thriva? Do they do a discount code thing like some other services use?

I’ve had the trial and my first box for a few weeks now and I’m a bit disappointed. I’m using the bio (green) capsules as I don’t normally have any issues with bio but the fragrance is really weak. It comes out not really smelling of anything. I feel like for an average wash two capsules would be needed which seems like a bit of a waste. I thought they would have been super concentrated seeing as they’re quite small.

I’m still using them, they’re okay just not as good as I thought at first, though it is very good value.

I’m using the non bio with an 8kg machine and 1 pod works fine at leaving the clothes clean. I don’t want the clothes to smell of anything including cleaning products so very happy with the lack of overpowering fragrance

(Colin Robinson) #114

Am using the green ones too and though smell was ok. Only problem I’ve had so far is woollens at 30° didn’t quite dissolve the pod but I’ll know better next time.

(Michael) #115

Anyone know of a smol equivalent for the dishwasher? Currently using finish powder as it seems to be cheapest (£3 for a yellow bottle thing on Amazon)

For razors I have a few cut throats (can’t fault them, buy once, sharpen a few times a year, 0 waste). Takes a week or two to get used to not cutting your chin off with your left hand though. If I can’t be bothered to sharpen them, I’ve still got loads of blades and soaps from a subscription to https://www.thepersonalbarber.com you get a DE safety razor in your first box, some soap and some blades.

A DE can give an epic shave though, I found the cornerstone was like trying to shave with a butter knife in comparison! Hardly get any cuts with a DE either.

(Andy) #116

I’m still trying to learn how to not nick myself with a DE razor. Too many years using electric! :tired_face:

In regards to dishwasher I’ve not found anything cheaper than Amazon subscribe and save yet

Don’t use any pressure I found is the key.

Yep, The weight in my Merkur does the work. I love the snick snick snick as the DE blade scythes through the hairs

Regarding dishwasher tablets, there was a European rule change a few years ago that forced the removal of one of the chemicals that really does the job - at least in home tablets. This reduced the cleaning power. I used to use Costco cheapos but now they don’t work very well.

I tried the fairy liquid packs and they are good but very expensive except when they are on half price offer at ocado. I grab 6 months worth when they are.

(Ben) #120

Not a subscription, but rank highly on my “does good” rating system, are these by Ecover:

https://www.ecover.com/products/all-in-one-dishwasher-tablets/

The boxes are small and compact, but are retail only.

Only 1 I have at the moment is beer52, it’s a beer subscription so every month (I think) you get sent a new box but you can pause it so you get a break of 2 months. I shall look into smol and the toilet paper at some point, always on the look out for new things.