Recommended pet insurance? ๐Ÿˆ ๐Ÿ•

(Louis Otto) #1

Sliiiiiightly off topic, but can anyone recommend a decent pet insurer? Weโ€™ve got our renewal coming up from Sainsburys (who I really rate quite highly) but it just wouldnโ€™t be right to not check out the competition :slight_smile:

Waldo, Smol and other practical subscription services
(Andy) #2

Iโ€™m with healthy pets. Never had an issue although Iโ€™ve never claimed from them

This is one of those questions that is impossible to answer (in my opinion).

Does best = cheapest? Or does best = easiest to claim money from? Itโ€™s never ending!

I use the CoOperative - I found them competitively priced and Iโ€™ve had a very easy time claiming from them.

(Louis Otto) #4

Agreed, Iโ€™ve had to claim from Sainsburys before and they were brilliant - no issues whatsoever, so part of me is thinking perhaps it isnโ€™t best to part with them, even with the increase. Then again, even through this forum Iโ€™ve been introduced to companies who are smaller, operate better than their competitors all the while being cheaper, as well so itโ€™s worth taking a look imo :slight_smile:

Cat or dog? Also - most insurers wonโ€™t cover โ€œpre existing conditionsโ€, or if they do, itโ€™s very expensive (certainly for dogs).

(Louis Otto) #6

Cat. I think weโ€™re in the clear because his condition was urinary crystals (the most common condition male cats can have, apparently) and itโ€™s treated by changing their food to a formula for the rest of their life to keep it at bay.

(Richard Cook) #7

@louisotto Iโ€™ve split this topic into its own thread so we can give it a proper discussion :slight_smile:

No pets myself unfortunately - but Iโ€™ll ask the team!

We have Tesco Pet insurance, was a good price for the most expensive one and covers a lot of things for my cat. They were also really good when we rang up to ask in detail what they cover etc. All their reviews were 4/5 star so we thought it seemed a good option to go for.

(*Fingers crossed, never needed to use it)

4 Cats & 4 Dogsโ€ฆ

I use https://boughtbymany.com/ each time need to renew, they often get group discounts for certain breeds as they drive enough customers to each insurer.

Defo worth a search, lots of insurance discount codes and special rates :slight_smile:

(Christopher) #10

PetPlan every time for me!

When Napoleon dog had cancer, twice, they were nothing but incredible. My vet was also epic, and worked with PetPlan to take a huge hassle out. Cannot recommend them enough, and Clerkenwell Animal Hospital were also fantastic.

Not insuring would have left me about ยฃ11000 out of pocket.

(Louis Otto) #11

Cheers man :slight_smile:

Iโ€™m so sorry to hear about that, but also really glad you got a good experience!

This is definitely worth a look, thanks!

(Ian Lyon) #12

Iโ€™ve been using PetPlan and although I havenโ€™t had to claim yet, they seem pretty decent!

(James Amey) #13

I also use Petplan and have had to claim with them, it was a breeze and mostly went through the Vet!

(Andy) #14

My cats insurance is due for renewal soon so these are all good shouts! Petplan felt quite expensive but may revisit them!

(Valeri) #15

I am pretty happy with Vetsure.com

(Ben) #16

Iโ€™ve been using PetPlan for my FIV+ cat.

They have an incredible amount of exclusions for an FIV+ cat, it seems like any possible claim will come back with โ€œsorry, that the FIVโ€™s faultโ€.

He had some problems with his teeth when we adopted him from the shelter (had to have 3 removed), was lead to believe it was covered, but PetPlan required documentation from the adoption shelter. It took us an age to a) find out that they wanted this info, and b) actually get the agency to send it.

They closed the claim automatically after they didnโ€™t receive any info from the shelter, said they would reopen it once they receive it. So far Iโ€™ve not been able to get PetPlan to acknowledge that theyโ€™ve received it, despite the shelter confirming theyโ€™ve had confirmation of it being received. So my claim remains closed and PetPlan havenโ€™t responded yet.

Reminds me I need to bug them again.

So all in all mixed experience.

I think itโ€™s also really important to look at any claims payout statistics an insurer has, if they are available.

Thereโ€™s also a train of thought that you may save money longer term by saving cash each month for use in the event that your pet requires it. My PetPlan costs ยฃ40/m, over the potential life of a cat, that could be upwards of ยฃ6k set aside.

Worth consideration in any case.

Also if anyone hears of any great FIV+ insurers would love to hear about them!

Bought By Many :ok_hand:

Only switched to them in October. Had to claim in February. Even though he probably was unwell before the switch they still paid out the full amount - no quibbles

(I took him to the vet as soon as I thought it needed that attention, but obvs symptoms are around before then)

i also find it to be a decent price for a pure breed and a moggy

(John Biondini) #18

This is gonna sound weird, but does anyone know a pet insurance with an option for ducks? :rofl:
I have two Indian Runner Ducks and I was looking around but it feels like that just cats and dogs are considered pets. :frowning: