Top up feature gone?

Simple but perhaps petulant solution, pay your salary into Monzo! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

That negates the entire reason for why I want a Monzo card - to act as a card with a decent amount if I need to buy anything, but that will limit my loss if it’s stolen. This was after all, one of the ways Monzo was intended to be used.

Maybe that’s not your case, but surely it’s not too hard for you to understand why some people might want to do this?

2 Likes

Hey,

We’re aiming for a first version to be rolled out during November, before all users are invited to upgrade, and definitely before anyone is forced to upgrade. Whilst the jist of the work is routing the money to a current account instead of a prepaid card, there are complexities that mean it isn’t just a quick couple of lines of code to change.

Sorry the messaging around the upgrade process has been confusing, we’re making changes to it based on feedback - so it’s really appreciated.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Of course, as I said it was a petulant idea and designed as a joke :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info Jami, great news that it’ll be available before we have to upgrade.

2 Likes

Definitely understand your point of view - but check out info about the Pots feature that have been posted. You should be able to manage both your committed money, and spending money, easily within Monzo a bit further down the line :raised_hands:

3 Likes

As per topic. How do I continue to top up by debit card? Now the top up screen takes me only to screen giving me details of how to bank transfer in. Can’t find anywhere the debit card topup option.

When the current account started rolling out, it was specifically stated by Monzo that debit card topup would still be possible, so I really hope this has not been reneged on. The card is useless to me without this ability, at least for the next few months. I asked this question personally on that community thread and was reassured the debit topup was not going away.

I only have £20 balance remaining and am now very worried I am very soon going to be unable to use Monzo!

Please could someone help me out with this. Thanks.

No.

Topping up your account by debit card …will not be available.
[source: https://monzo.com/blog/2017/07/17/current-account-preview/]

1 Like

You can clearly continue to use Monzo. Log into your other bank account and transfer £x into your Monzo current account using your new sort code and account number. It was widely announced that the topping up of the current account isn’t available right now. It should be in the future.

This is terrible. I asked one month ago and was told yes, it would be possible, and was directed to this statement by Monzo saying it would be:

I see now the statement I was directed to was from February, but it is what I was shown when I asked only one month ago.

I will need someone from Monzo to revert me to the prepaid card so at least I can continue to use it while that service exists, which I gather will be a little longer at least. I guess it will be better to contact them via help or similar rather than forum.

Unfortunately it isn’t possible to revert to the prepaid card. You can however top up by sending money from the bank account of the debit card, to your Monzo account using Faster Payments with your Monzo account number and sort code.

1 Like

Dear Monzo team,

I just upgrade my Monzo card to Debit. I noticed that the way to top up the account is not as friendly, easy and fast as before. With Monzo Debit you need to top up from another bank account using sort-code and account number.
The old system was much better, just pressing + button and transfering money inserting the 16 digits from another card (which then could be saved).
I believe you are losing a big benefit of having Monzo. Now top up is much longer and more difficult. What’s the point of having Monzo if works as per any other debit card?

Many thanks

Marco

1 Like

As previously mentioned on this page, it is coming soon to the current accounts but it will be after the prepay system has been shut down I believe.

1 Like

I’m hoping the feature does come soon. There are quite a few people I know who aren’t (yet) interested in moving all their direct debits/standing orders/salary and would like to just use the current account like the prepaid card, including the “topup” functionality.

It is so simple to set up Monzo as a payee from your other bank account, really it is simple!

1 Like

Converting to current account doesn’t mean you have to move any direct debits or salary over - you can still use it exactly like the PP card. It’s just the topup from debit cards is gone for now - but it’s definitely coming back soon.

Really worrying to see so many users being migrated over to the current account before there is feature parity - this has the potential to turn a lot of people off the product for good.

7 Likes

they are not being migrated, they are chosing to migrate…and clearly not reading all the info which does tell them about this issue

And yet it is a lot of hassle to make a payment from HSBC. The current account would not be usable conveniently for me the way I used the prepaid. That’s why I decided to go all in and make it my main account

However, I imagine at the same juncture many may choose to stop their monzo experiment. I’m partly motivated by my extreme hatred of HSBC

3 Likes

I think there is a lot of confusion around being prompted to ‘Upgrade your Monzo Account’.

Most people are not going to read the fine print so I don’t think it’s entirely unreasonable for them to be surprised to find they have lost some key features after being asked to ‘Upgrade’

2 Likes