Switch to Monzo and Help us Test the Current Account Switch Service

Today is the day the switch is supposed to be done, but the direct debits are still showing as active on my Natwest mobile app :thinking:

I’d get on to chat about that if I was you. It doesn’t seem right

I got on to chat and they said it should be all finished by the end of today. We’ll see how it goes I guess!

5 Likes

Switch just finished from Barclays. Old current account has been closed, I can still log into online banking for my joint account/savings etc so don’t worry about that. :slight_smile:

This notification seems a bit premature. Still got full access to my old current account and all direct debits showing as active there too…

I did, however, get an email from PayPal earlier confirming that they’ve recognised the transfer between banks.

2 Likes

Sometimes banks leave your old account open slightly longer. It will close later today, but assume the switch is complete.

My switch completed today. All nationwide accounts closed.

Hello Monzo. Full Time! :wave:

3 Likes

This is somewhat expected. We consider the switch complete when, by the scheme, the money and payments have all switched and the agreed switch date arrives. It is then up to the other bank to close the account and (at least to the best of my knowledge) settle any debts or resolve internal conflicts (an example of this would be closing regular saver accounts that are tied to the current account being open) over the following few days/weeks. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Just completed my switch from Starling. All seems ok, Starling app won’t let me in anymore and all the payments have come across.

1 Like

Starling is a little unforgiving to customers that want to move away

That alone nerves me somewhat and in a way demonstrates a little callous

2 Likes

Yeah they have a screw you mentality when it comes to leaving which is very childish and unprofessional IMO.

Unlike Monzo

3 Likes

Would it be possible to add to the switch completed message something like “It may take some time for your old account to be closed by your old bank” or something worded better.

I would personally read “switch is done” as my old account having been completely closed and everything moved over to Monzo. It doesn’t seem like this is the case though from what you’ve said

4 Likes

Update: Seems overnight, Natwest finally marked the account as closed, and it doesn’t give me the option to pay anyone, view direct debits/standing orders, etc. I can, however, view transaction history still. It still has a balance (because it’s negative) so we’ll see when I get a phone call/letter asking me to pay them back the overdraft. :ok_hand:

I’d be interested to know what happens here as I’m looking at switching my Natwest account

Can you keep me updated? :+1:

As I said

The account would have been closed later that day, unless there are debts and anything else to be settled.

The message reads switch complete because it Is complete.

Debits credits and balance have moved over.

Switch away

Yes. This will happen, unless you have enough of an overdraft with Monzo to cover the balance.

You have potentially screwed yourself though, as you won’t get long to pay it back in full before Natwest start hounding you for the money

(When I worked at Halifax, we couldn’t even complete a full switch if somebody was overdrawn with the other bank if we couldn’t offer an overdraft that covered the amount overdrawn. Unless they had the funds to cover it of course)

2 Likes

Just in case anyone is interested.

Initiated my CASS switch on Saturday. Here’s what’s happened so far.

• Received an email from Natwest yesterday confirming they are aware of my Switch with a confirmed date of 01.05.18

• Today the in app notification has changed to reflect the Natwest email with same changeover date.

So far so good! Will keep you guys updated. I’ve noted down all my set up payments so I can double check everything has gone over ok.

4 Likes

I said “we’ll see when” not “if”. I know that I will be contacted to pay them back.

Earlier in the thread, it was mentioned that

A) Monzo don’t accept negative balances during the switch, even with enough Monzo overdraft to cover it,
B) Natwest give you 10 days to repay any overdrafts after they confirm Monzo won’t accept it.

What I will do is, once Natwest confirm the amount and how to pay, I will just pay with my Monzo account as normal.

3 Likes

My ‘ad hoc’ payment list hasn’t transferred over… Which is going to be a small problem shortly as it’s somebody’s birthday and I normally sent them a bank transfer :confused:

I don’t think payee lists usually transfer, just any standing orders set up. That’s what happened between a couple of other banks (not Monzo) for me last time I used the switch service.

1 Like

I have just moved over from Nationwide. All worked out in the end - the notifications from Monzo came over smooth and my direct debits seem to be in place (will just wait and see whether the scheduled payments will come over in time).

My only frustration is that the list of payees did not come through - and Nationwide has cancelled access for me to look at them since the account was closed. Luckily I managed to screengrab the names before I switched over the account, and Monzo did warn me in advance that payees won’t come through when I asked. Still, would have been good for that warning to be included before you switch.

1 Like