Slow support responses

It also seems like a strange time to roll out an objectively worse chat platform (no estimates, typing indicators, read markers/receipts).

7 Likes

Seems perfect timing then if you know what i mean! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

They seem to be following a reactive recruitment policy, so a dip in performance is almost inevitable.

It’s hard to combine rapid growth, pressure from a funding round to generate revenue (the investment strategy has not been disclosed, I believe), and solid service at all times. I’d expect the road to get bumpier, tbh

I’ve also had a long wait time, I sent a (non urgent) message approaching 48 hours ago I think and still no response. Definitely not expected when someone normally gets back to me within 10 mins, even on a non urgent message.

1 Like

It seems very odd to me, too.

Monzo knew that CS response times were getting worse, they had a recruitment drive, and at the same time as all this, they implemented a new system.

I assume that all of the CS staff needed training on the new system, which would inevitably reduce the number of staff available to customers; and this was done at a time when there was already a backlog of requests!

6 Likes

The training is about 20-30 minutes long, as the layout is very similar to intercom. There’s not much operationally different.

It it very stressful as a COp having these wait times, and I totally appreciate how frustrating it is as a customer.

7 Likes

Agreed, I think those kind of questions on the application form are pointless in fact on any type of application for whatever company.

5 Likes

Wasn’t sure if I was reading the support thread, or the “unpopular opinions” thread then :joy:

The only thing I’d say is, I’m assuming the people who didn’t get jobs, missed out to other people (rather than simply no one getting the job).

If it was the latter, then I’d completely agree with you, that you can’t buy the support of a company that some people have for Monzo - They’d be valuable assets to a growing business - Especially when it comes to CS.

From a customers POV - It would concern me how long this “support issue” has gone on for (ignoring the new chat system for a moment).

Monzo did have a big recruitment drive, but if anything, it seems the wait times are longer than ever?

For clarity - I haven’t had to contact CS, I’m only going by the forum.

6 Likes

Aha - Yes, I have seen that before, although don’t ask me to find it!

Given Monzo’s target is profitability and the CS aspect is the biggest spend per customer… It feels a little like Monzo are trying to do too much, with too few people.

But if Monzo are still recruiting for new CS staff, you do wonder whether their bar is too high (to be turning down some serious Monzo fans, in favour of no one).

Appreciate you can’t hire someone based on their passion… But it’s one hell of a start.

Of course, I’m sure there are behind the scenes conversations and plans in place to fix it… But as customers, we’ve been left with very poor CS for a long time now.

6 Likes

In my experience,they are going for an empathy driven route of CS rather than a see problem deal with problem approach.Which whilst the first approach is admirable it doesn’t fix the Customer service wait time.

From the forum posts, it seems that even though Monzo have been aggressively hiring for months now that support time hasn’t really changed at all

8 Likes

Nope - it’s only getting worse.

What really worries me is the two times I’ve tried to call nobody answers and it tells me to use the chat. If I’d lost my phone or needed urgent support then this sort of message would ensure I moved my banking elsewhere.

6 Likes

In their defence urgent support is still answered super quick. I had to use it this weekend and it was less than 3 minutes.

1 Like

That’s fine, but the phone needs to be answered as well for those who need it.

2 Likes

Really? That’s surprising!

I think Monzo left hiring new staff to late and now are playing catch up but the rate they’re growing means they’ll be continually behind. Plus they seem have extremely high requirements for hiring which seems to have backfired slightly when trying to recruit a large number of new COps

2 Likes

I think the other issue is the boundary between urgent and non urgent.

For example, I need my limits increasing, they ask for 24 hours notice to do this normally - so two days before I raise a non urgent support request. With 48 hour wait times it would mean that this wouldn’t be able to happen in time for when I needed it. So I’m forced to raise an urgent support request

4 Likes

True, combined with rolling out a really inferior chat system which isn’t finished probably has increased the time rather than reduced it

3 Likes

If the rate at which Monzo gets new customers is more than what they can handle support-wise it might be worth slowing down the sign up rate or going back to a waiting list, otherwise this support fiasco will piss off their most loyal customers at the expense of onboarding new people that may not even end up using the account.

4 Likes

I think the criteria for hiring isn’t necessarily high, its their priorities that are wrong…

Agreed but before someone bites my head off, I’m not claiming they can’t support their growth! Just seems that way… obviously not being a Monzo employee means I have no idea :wink:

1 Like