Simple Questions Thread (Newbie friendly 🙂)

Your best bet is to ask in the support chat in the app (go to the help tab and search for “Contact” to get an article with a link to the chat). If it’s USD from a UK bank you might be fine. If it’s USD from an overseas bank then as @Anarchist says, you probably need to look for a bank that supports IBANs (which Monzo doesn’t yet).

How do i access previous chats in Monzo app??

1 Like

It’s all one long feed, so just scroll up :slight_smile:

You can’t, unfortunately. You can try to ask Monzo why they won’t open the account by emailing help@monzo.com, but it’s unlikely they can tell you

Check your credit report and Cifas file. Have you been in the UK for a while, or did you just move here? These are some of the common reasons

1 Like

Hey, been a Monzo user for some time, have business account and a plus / investor account.

so all in with the Monzo club.

this is more of a general question around how they can make them be a better bank, rather than just being a new cool bank, doing the same as the traditional banks with better language. Akin to the apple mentality of users, being that apple don’t do anything much differently to any other big tech company, they just “sell” in a much different way, which they are close to becoming.

my example for this is there lending criteria for loans and over drafts.

I think to exclude someone on the credit file alone is a poor move, if you have access to may years now of accounts, and can see the spending and income, see that they done have declines, not rejections. should this not be accounted before the credit file.

I am only speaking from my personal experience.

I am not in need of either, however, under their lending criteria would not be eligible.

Thanks in advance.

From what they’ve explained they layer together all sorts of data from various sources to determine eligibility against their own secret criteria. They’re also extremely cautious about who they lend to currently as they’re new to all of this too.

Over time they’ve said they will improve this and branch out to make offers to more people and take on more risk.

I was really hoping that this time there would be car breakdown service, mobile phone insurance and travel insurance options. Are there any plans to add these?

I’m hoping so with the ‘Premium’ tier when/if it launches.

If there were, I’d finally be able to ditch my HSBC Advance account which provides all of those for £11.95 per month.

2 Likes

Well, well
 just received an email from HSBC informing they are sunsetting the HSBC Advance features (Breakdown/Travel & Mobile insurance) on 01-September. So that’s me knackered.

[/selfish on] Monzo - please release Premium prior to 01-September-2020 :pray::pray::pray: [/selfish off]

Otherwise, I’ll have to go elsewhere.

3 Likes

The Nationwide offering is still extant.

2 Likes

That’s the one I’d go for at this point.

1 Like

Hello, I’m thinking of opening a business account with Monzo but before I do, can anyone here confirm the following:

1. if the Monzo business account offers the ability to make international payments?
  2. If Monzo international payments are powered by Transferwise so I would get the same forex rate as I would with them?
    Many thanks in advance for your time in answering my questions.
    Neil
1 Like

I live in an area where a lot of places are cashless (some pubs), a lot of places have a minimum spend for using card (almost any of the small convenience stores), and some that don’t take card at all (some restaurants)

My question - those places that have minimum spend for card I assume they get charged for taking a card transaction. Can anyone tell me how much that charge is?

Hi

I need to transfer funds from my saving to current but I lost my phone last night, the emergency online function doesn’t have that facility and without it I won’t be able to buy a new phone
please advise

Phone the number on the back of your card

I can’t, no phone

Ok, so if you can’t borrow a phone or use a phone box then you can email help@monzo.com but it’ll take a few days for a reply

Or tweet them

Yeah I did, what I’ll do is look for a payphone on the street somewhere that still works
do those even still exist in London?

Not sure I’d trust a phone box to discuss banking stuff. Borrowing a phone might be more realistic

There are quite a few options:

1. Click and collect online or pay for expedited delivery on a new phone by using Paypal (or similar) as it will take a few days to come out of your account.
  2. Borrow a trusted friends phone to install the Monzo app and transfer the money
  3. Borrow any phone, use a work phone, a payphone etc to call Monzo
  4. Email Monzo making sure it is very detailed to minimise back and forth but expect several days if not weeks
  5. Borrow some money of a friend, colleague, family member to buy a phone on the promise it will be immediately returned

That’s all I can think of off the top of my head but plenty of options there :sweat_smile:

Personally I’d do #5

2 Likes