Simple Questions Thread (Newbie friendly 🙂)

Hi Jack/Nick,

We put our name down for the trial but weren’t selected. When you roll business accounts out we are definitely interested so please keep me in the loop. Our company is Blackbox av Ltd. We turn over about a million a year, established for 10 years.

Using XE a lot for overseas payments, SagePay for our web shop. Check out our shop at www.interpretationshop.co.uk and www.blackboxav.co.uk for information about how people use our products. I think you’ll find what we do newsworthy if we get on board.

I’ve been a personal customer since the prepayment days having been introduced by my 3 children who are all Monzo clients as is my wife now.

Best wishes

Jonathan

1 Like

Welcome :wave:

You might want to give Monzo your feedback on what features you’d like to see in a business account here :slight_smile:

Hi,

In that case there’s no point in me having an account with Monzo, so please close it.

Thank you.

Some confusion here: I don’t work for Monzo or speak for them. And I certainly can’t close accounts!

I’m very sorry, though, if anything I’ve said has upset you enough to want to close your account.

If you do want to talk to Monzo/close your account, do open up a chat in the app.

3 Likes

Did you not see the huge banner across the www.monzo.com homepage about business accounts?

I was just about to sit down and do the budgeting but I only just realised there is no app for Windows. Any chance you can develop some sort of work around for that because I think my use of Monzo would have a shelf life without it.

I get using the mobile as the main source, I’m happy with no branches but not being able to manage my account / budget from my personal computer would probably be a show stopper. What do you do if your mobile breaks or is stolen for example?

When budgeting I need the simple straight forward tools which help (Monzo has these) but I also want to be able to open tabs and see things on a bigger screen. To give an example I might want to lookup my water provider or energy provider; I might want to shop around.

Maybe I only do this level of budgeting once or twice a year but I think others must be looking for Monzo to provide that as well?

Presumably it would work if I just load an Android desktop, is there an app for that?

Monzo is an app based bank. There are no plans for a desktop version however if you search on here you’ll find someone was trying to make one as a personal project.

As for if your phone/card gets lost or stolen. There’s web.monzo.com for that. Its for emergencies only so it has the basics needed to keep you going while you wait for your new card. :slight_smile:

In this example you’d have Monzo open on your phone and then compare on your desktop :slight_smile:

Monzo are currently working on a marketplace concept that will do all this for you too :slight_smile:

Is it safe to use it via an emulator such as BlueStacks? It seems to be available for download there as it would be on my phone.

I don’t know what BlueStacks is but for something sensitive like banking I wouldn’t want it going through any 3rd party just in case.

Share your concerns but it is hard to know if it is or isn’t just a standard Android build. Most interestingly it is available and does appear to install (although I’ve not logged in). It would be useful to know in the long term as it would be the perfect work around from the Monzo point of view. No development work needed and all you need is an emulator which is definitely not sharing the data with a third party. The documentation appears to say it is fine (I did check) and normal Android shares things with Google anyway so my guess would be that this idea is either safe, or not?

Anyway, I’ll not push it further now as I’ve got other things to do but I would personally be interested in finding out the answer at some point. As I say, it should be a matter of fact rather than discussion as it either represents a security threat or it doesn’t.

It will likely work but it will sign you out of Monzo on your phone (presuming it’s also android). You can only be signed in on one device for each os at a time.

Hi, that wouldn’t be a big issue for me as I don’t need to be logged in on multiple devices my only concern would be security. That said, logically, if there is a security risk then it would exist on any mobile anyway. You can’t control the device and that is sort of the point of Android. The apps operate within the bounds of Android and an emulator is primarily for development purposes. In theory an emulator in this context should not represent more of a risk than say one of the Chinese mobiles in the news so much of late for example.

You can download/export statements. I’ve used that option myself, the output needs a little ‘Excel love’ but it works well.

1 Like

Just wondering how to invest in Monzo? Will there be a new round coming up? Is there a way to get notified on upcoming investment opportunities in Monzo?

The last round was in December and they have no plans for another at this stage. If/when they do it’ll be mentioned on the forum and account holders will be informed

Hi. I’ve been with Monzo about 6 months, left HSBC partly because of their poor customer service, partly because of their lack of ethical investment policy.
I’m reading more and more about climate change and getting pretty scared, angry and at times despairing of the state of things.
I think as a consumer, what you do with your money is one of the main ways you can actually effect change in this world.
So I need to know… Monzo, do you invest in fossil fuel companies?

1 Like

They don’t invest in anything, unless that has changed recently

Surely they do something with the money their customers bank with them, that’s how banks generally make profit?

It goes into the Bank of England to earn interest. The rest is lent out to customers in the form of overdrafts and loans to make money

1 Like

This post is repeated here:

Perhaps they need merging :slight_smile: