'Printed from the internet' proof of address not accepted

What I don’t get is charging me if I want to watch an e.g. French TV station online!

I don’t want to turn it into TV licence debate but a flat rate is really unfair in my opinion. It is in fact compulsory tv tax so at least it should be progressive to make it fair :neutral_face:

If you wish to continue the tv licence discussion I’m happy to split these posts over to this thread?

4 Likes

Thanks @glasgow but let’s leave it here. Capita thugs might be reading this and gathering evidence :sob:

1 Like

Back on topic then! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :policeman:t2:

1 Like

My question is are they allowed to pick and choose what is and isn’t sufficient proof for them?

Yep!

1 Like

:flushed::scream::dizzy_face:
:triumph::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::exploding_head:

These sort of stupid policies are the type of thing that makes me move providers. If you happen to bank with an app based bank then how else do you expect to have access to your statements? We live in a digital age for gods sake.

The stupid thing is these sorts of companies would more than likely accept a photocard driving licence where the address could be one you lived at 9 years ago!

Its madness…

5 Likes

except you would not have an address that old as there is a potential fine of up to £1,000 if you do not keep your address up to date. people involved in road traffic accidents have been caught out this way

2 Likes

Maybe it depends on the council but the three council areas I’ve been university in all have the same exemption if the whole house are full-time students.

The owners of HMOs are responsible for paying the council tax bill.

If all the tenants in a HMO are full-time students, the property will be exempt from council tax.

If there is one person who is not a full-time student living in a property, a discount will apply. If there are two or more people who aren’t full-time students living in a property, no discount will be granted.

1 Like

It’s an exemption in Glasgow as well

Owners or tenants of a property occupied by full-time students (every adult in the house is a student) are entitled to apply for an exemption.
Owners or tenants of a property occupied by students and one adult who is not a student, are entitled to apply for a 25% discount.

https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=17215

I do think it’s legal, as their terms & conditions probably say that they have a right to refuse to do business with anyone for whatever reason (as long as it’s not related to “protected classes” like race, religion, gender and probably a bunch others I’m missing), so I guess not providing a proof of address they deem acceptable would be a valid reason.

Practically though, when faced with such a situation and switching to a different provider is not an option, I just tell them it is not printed from the internet - they have no way to tell anyway (especially with Monzo where a posted bank statement is exactly the same as the one from the app, unless you explicitly require a stamped one).

2 Likes

You could quite easily get away with having an old address, especially if you’ve just hit retirement age, got a free bus pass and sold your car…

Oh really?!
So does it mean that we can print off the statement ourselves and that would make no difference whatsoever?
Hmm… that is a bit :hot_face: but I still do not get why on-line statements aren’t accepted!!

1 Like

I just print the Monzo statement myself and give it to the company and don’t mention I printed it myself and have not had an issue

1 Like

I get ‘smi’ discount on the council tax bill, my local council said “its easier to remove you from the liability then to spend millions and update the billing system”
So when the missus get the c/tax bill it’s just in one name and she gets single person discount.

I just emailed a PDF over of mine and told them to print it themselves if they needed to as I don’t have access to a printer.

Otherwise I’d do the above, because there would be no difference between Monzo printing them or doing it myself.

Exported statements from Monzo are a bit different in my experience. When I exported my statement from Santander you could tell it was taken offline because of how “basic” it looked. Whereas Monzos exported statements come on letter headed paper and are formatted nicely with your address on there etc.

2 Likes