TV Licences?

In the Direct Debit thread, I’m amazed how many people have TV licences!

I’m curious - do you do this in addition to other subscription services like Netflix/DisneyLife/Amazon Prime Video/etc, or is live TV and the BBC your only video content source? It’s just fascinating to me how many there are!

Obviously, in the population as a whole I know there’s still a lot of demand for TV, but I’m still a bit surprised. I’m curious other peoples’ thoughts and what role TV plays in your life, if you have it?

2 Likes

I don’t have a TV licence, I download then watch at a later date.

Waiting for my visit… can’t decide whether I’ll let them in to see I don’t have a TV or to just tell them and make them go away.

1 Like

By law you must have a television licence if you have equipment capable of recieiving a broadcast tv signal, and to watch iPlayer live.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/foi-legal-framework-AB16

2 Likes

I never answer, mainly coz they only come during work hours

But the onus is on them to prove you are watching TV, I can watch TV on my laptop doesn’t mean i do it.

1 Like

This would be the case with any prosecuting authority in relation to any alleged offence, not just TV licensing. They will have points to prove that must be satisfied in order to stand any reasonable chance of conviction.

IIRC, TV Licensing is a major contributory factor in the criminalising of members of the public, …although there may have been changes within the last three years

I imagine the people who boast they don’t bother paying for a TV License are the same sorts of people who refuse to ever pay for apps, as if people who produce stuff don’t deserve to be paid for their work.

2 Likes

That is only true if the setup is capable of receiving it, a TV with no aerial is fine (though I don’t even own that).

How so? I’m not talking about people who use it without paying. I’m talking about watching TV, period. Of course if you’re going to use it you should pay!

1 Like

This is incorrect. You must have a TV licence if you watch broadcast TV (live or record it) or iPlayer.

Simply having apparatus capable of receiving a broadcast signal is not sufficient to require one as you could be using it as a monitor for a computer or DVDs or netflix etc.

3 Likes

You need TVL for iPlayer use as well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/tvlicence

I have other subscriptions but use iPlayer quite often. Don’t remember the last time I sat down to watch something ‘live’ on tele.
Most people in the UK I think do watch some BBC programme. IMO it’s not much for what BBC provides us (local coverage to World service) so happy to pay for the licence.

P.S. Not sure how Capita has messed up a working system. I set-up my DD online about 3 months ago without any issues at all.

Yep. The law has changed recently. My knowledge relates to earlier law pre-iPlayer confusion.

I don’t watch live or stream the BBC, anything I watch comes straight from the USA the next day.

You do not need a TV licence if you only watch content after it’s been shown on television – UNLESS it’s on iPlayer. TV programmes downloaded or streamed after broadcast on other catch-up services are fine without one though.

You have Kodi :thinking::grin:

No Kodi, didn’t like it so scrapped it.

Yes. I believe it used to be the case that iPlayer catch up didn’t need a licence but iPlayer live did. Now amended by law.

Almost.

If a device with a TV tuner is not capable of receiving a signal then I think you can reasonably say that there is no intent to watch transmissions for which a licence is required.

Playing devil’s advocate, I could plug in my television, leave out the aerial (to negatate live OTA content) but plug in a network cable that would allow me to view live content via the internet. That would require a licence.

I grant you, this is a complex area and no wonder so many on low incomes are confused and fall foul of the law.

As an addition, you require an account to use iPlayer now…more of a way for them to track etc.
I’d say give it time and they will be asking for your TV licence number for it.
And for me, BBC is the only thing on TV that has anything half decent! Only ever watch BBC One or Two. Still use Netflix and Amazon Prime.
I’m quite the AV enthusiast so most stuff I watch is on 4K or Blurry disc.