PayPoint Shops don’t know how to process cash deposits

It’s been like that for a while - I’d venture on always…

1 Like

Good to know :smiley:

I hadn’t noticed it the first time :innocent: It’s definitely a nice to have hehe :smiley:

I think you have better luck if you use the phrase top up. They are used to hearing that

2 Likes

I put money in my monzo account using Paypoint and it was very simple once i explained it to the shop how to do it now he knows for the next time someone asks him

I did it yesterday 8 shops later and returning to the first shop and telling the cashier to just swipe the card once that was done it was simple.

They know some of their bill payments on PayPoint require swiping a card so that isn’t the problem.

It just worries people the moment you mention the word bank.

I’ve not used this yet but often get paid expenses back in cash. I phoned HR and I’m apparently allowed to claim the £1 fee back as an expense too :grin:

7 Likes

Was really easy after i explained to them

1 Like

Went to deposit cash tonight at the post office in the local shop (into my santander account to transfer across) but the post office closed at 2pm. Noticed they had a paypoint system - went through no issues :ok_hand:

Same process for me. I think as long as you say it’s a top up they understand the process.

1 Like

So I just tried to make my first cash deposit via PayPoint, but it didn’t work :pensive:.

I thought having read every single post on the couple of threads here about PayPoint and depositing cash that I would be one of the people who got it to work :joy:.

I told the shopkeeper I wanted to add £X onto my card, he immediately went to put it in the chip and pin slot, but I told him the card needs swiped instead.
He tried swiping it through the PayPoint machine multiple times, but it didn’t do anything. He then told me that they don’t accept cash deposits/top ups to Monzo in that shop. I told him that all PayPoint machines accept it, but was again told “well we don’t accept it mate!”. He said that someone else had been in the other day and it didn’t work then either. There was a queue of people lining up behind me, and at that point I walked off rather embarrassed :see_no_evil:.

I’ve let Monzo know. Still need to pay in my Christmas money though :joy:
I can’t wait for cash to be a thing of the past!

1 Like

He must of been swiping the wrong bit of the card

Just got a response through Monzo chat… not the response I was expecting :thinking:

“…thanks for getting in touch. Unfortunately we don’t cover all PayPoint stations.
You can find your nearest PayPoint provider by entering your postcode here.”

I have written back to explain that the PayPoint location I went to, is the same nearest PayPoint location which is listed through the link the chat advisor sent me.
I’m really confused now :weary:

Edit: now being asked for the address of the PayPoint location I went to - I already provided the store name and address in my original message to the advisor :see_no_evil:

5 Likes

I was just told by customer servoce that they do cover all of the paypoints

1 Like

That’s what I thought too… I am unsure why my Monzo chat advisor is saying otherwise :thinking:. I have queried the advisor’s statement about not all PayPoint locations being accepted.

Edit: chat advisor just told me they made a mistake in what they had advised me (i.e. all PayPoint locations can accept deposits).

3 Likes

Thats good to hear

With the rapid expansion of the COps team, not every query is answered by a Customer Service Ninja anymore, being told stuff that just isn’t true seems to be happening more often which is a shame. I got told I could add four weekly payments in the iOS app, but it’s not true (yet).

4 Likes

Today I went to a different PayPoint location, and this time it worked perfectly :grinning:

The shopkeeper swiped it in what looked to my untrained eyes to be the same as my unsuccessful attempt yesterday, and I got the notification immediately, and 10 mins later the desposit fully updated in the app. :grinning:

I don’t know why this PayPoint location was any different from the last when it looked like they did the same thing :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Could the other shop potentially have an older Paypoint system?

Who knows, maybe :man_shrugging:. The Monzo advice seems to be that it should work at all PayPoint locations though, so not sure if an older machine should make a difference? It’s seems like a possible explanation though.

1 Like

Irrelevant as they’re all online and update themselves with whatever they do or don’t support.

2 Likes