PayPoint Shops don’t know how to process cash deposits

@HughWells Currently the pay in cash screen says “Just hand your Monzo card to the cashier.” Could this be changed to “Just hand your Monzo card to the cashier to swipe.” or similar.

This can act as a reminder, if someone sees the cashier trying to use the chip, it may prompt a “my app says the card needs to be swiped” conversation.

It won’t solve every issue, but may help many people get their cash paid in.

12 Likes

It could change, but ideally we wouldn’t be beholden on the customer to be telling shop staff how to use the machines :slight_smile: I think we’d prefer to explore other options first :+1:

5 Likes

A little late to the party but I just deposited some cash at the Co-Op. It couldn’t have gone more smoothly! Told the assistant I wanted to put some money onto Monzo, he asked how much and I told him and gave him the cash. Had the notification less than 5 seconds later.

Out of curiosity, I then asked him how many people had been using PayPoint there to our cash on Monzo. He said quite often, and more than usual today!

5 Likes

May i ask what Co-Op as i have trouble at mine

In Birmingham, where I live :slight_smile:

We did have some issues with PayPoint specifically at Co-Op, but we’ve deployed a fix for that now.

I had an issue at my parents’ local paper shop whilst I was home for Christmas this week.

They directed me to the Post Office, but I kindly mentioned that PayPoint was the processor.

After doing some digging on the Community forum I went back, and, very kindly, the couple who run it had done some digging and found out how to process the deposit.

It was seamless, in the end.

1 Like

So will the co op near me now do the top ups

The problem that Simon was talking about is something we identified during the staff testing phase, prior to launching cash deposits to the public. All Co-Op branches should be able to do cash deposits.

What was the problem you experienced at yours?

2 Likes

They dont seem to understand what im talking about or how to do it

Sorry to hear that :pensive:- would you mind letting us know through in-app chat which co-op this is? We’ll pass the details on to PayPoint who will call up the store and let them know how to do it.

2 Likes

Only problem is i messaged them about this before and only reply i got was saying give them time

2 Likes

Ive messaged customer support and all they said to me Nick was give the shop time as its fairly new

1 Like

My first attempt (at a Co-Op store) was successful! Here’s what happened:

1. I asked to do a “Top up with PayPoint”.
  2. I handed over my card.
  3. For a brief moment, the assistant gave me a strange look, presumably because she wasn’t expecting my card.
  4. She asked me how much I’d like to add, and then swiped my card. Or maybe the other way around.
  5. I handed over the cash.
  6. I was given a receipt, and Monzo notified me that the deposit was coming.
  7. Exactly ten minutes later, the money was added to my balance in Monzo.

Overall, I found the process incredibly easy, and it was much smoother than I expected.

1 Like

Around Portsmouth we have more than one type of Co-Op (e.g. Southern Co-Op, Co-Operative Food). Is it them all or just the Manchester based one?

1 Like

Literally went to a central London shop today! Asked do you do PayPoint, yeah of course… I said can I top this up please… ”no sorry we don’t do that one here”…i asked are you sure that’s correctI, As paypoints own website directed me here… Oh the machine just dosen’t do those cards!

(it was clearly a lie to fob me off) but all of a sudden the excuse became its just not working today at all (that was after I questioned is it not part of your contract).

Trying to do my first paying of cash… Utterly useless! though it’s not Monzo directly, it just isn’t a pleasant experience and Monzo should not affiliate with themselves with poor third parties.

12 Likes

I’ve said since day one Paypoint is a stopgap solution.

Unfortunately for those carrying cash the gap it’s stopping is people no longer carrying cash rather then a more suitable solution.

4 Likes

I would consider myself cashless, but work had to pay me back petty cash which left me with it!

Felt like a barrier to using my account, though Monzo are not the ones first hand dealing with the shops they are Associated with them and it was poor service!

2 Likes

I completely agree.

I received a cash present for my birthday last month. It was easier for me to put it into my girlfriends bank and transfer across then I imagine it would be wrestling with Paypoint.

Cheaper too.

4 Likes

Exactly what I did earlier, took less than 5 mins to deposit and transfer and didn’t cost anything. Also deposited cheque at same time in same machine too :raised_hands:

2 Likes

2nd (well 3rd… but the week before launch doesn’t count :joy::innocent:) PayPoint use. :sunglasses: Needed to deposit some Christmas cash and it was seamless, even more so than last time!

I asked to topup my card, handed Monzo over, the cashier looked at it and asked if it was “like a cash thing?” to which I replied yes, he asked how much I’d like to put on it - he then swiped it, keyed the amount in (I got the Monzo notification) and then handed my card back to me along with a receipt and asked “did you get the notification through?” - I was pretty impressed :sunglasses: I’m either not his first Monzo customer OR that PayPoint memo worked wonders :hot_coral_heart:

Very happy to have tried two PayPoints in my city, I’ll have to use a different location when I next accrue some cash :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy: just so I can see how uniform the experience is :wink:

I noticed something new this time around, the time on the feed item for the “Cash” was set to 10 minutes after the time on the receipt :eyes: a nice touch :boom:

3 Likes