PayPoint Shops don’t know how to process cash deposits

I tried to deposit some of my XMAS cash which received into my account at Co-Op, they were not really to sure how to do this.
First they tried to use the Chip&Pin which did not recognise it card, then they got much further with swiping my card on the terminal.
Next issue was when they were trying to process my payment, it was trying to go through but was having issues connecting at “the other end” and was unable to connect for some reason.

In the end ended up going to my local Texaco and this went straight through no issues.

(Callum O'Neil) #66

Can’t comment in the Co Ops POS - but I know from working at a Shell garage that our Paypoint is very temperamental.
I’m not sure the reason why this is, but it’s actually becoming a rare occasion for a payment to process correctly first time without an error message and voiding the transaction.
That is perhaps what has happened when the colleague in the Co Op tried to swipe your card - they may have received an error message resulting in the transaction being voided.
I guess this can look bad on Monzo’s part for customers - due to the fact mentioned above, that staff are so lacked of training on how to use this system correctly, and are not fully aware of all the features Paypoint has to offer for it’s customers. I think this is something that Paypoint should look at improving however as I’m sure they must lose out on quite a bit of commission from other services that they offer, which employees are just clueless about.

(Richard) #67

I’m not convinced the training issues is a Paypoint issue but the actual material getting to the people that are using the machines. I’ve had issues when Paypoint implemented a new feature that allowed for the printing out of pre-paid post labels. The majority of the local retailers denied it could be done even after Paypoint spoke to them over the phone and tried to train them.

They did eventually find a retailer (a sole trader) willing to do it and after I explained the issue I had experienced he told me he had received a pack on how to do it and he knew exactly what to do. So from my experience at least it would seem training is provided but not all places read it or for that matter be bothered to learn something new even when it is spoon fed to them.

In the end I suppose Paypoint Is never going to be a high earner for a retailer so it feels like the priority to learn it is quite low. One thing I would say though is that Paypoint customer service has been exceptional when I spoke to them.

(Brandon Billingham) #68

I had to do the print label thing. The interaction was the most uncomfortable thing I don’t ever want to do it again.

After much discussion and awkward sighs from the guy behind the till a label printed that was not sticky and then he had to go find tape so I could fix the label. Then I had to queue again so he could scan it into the system. Awful process.

Hermes have the machine on the side in the shop so you just do it yourself then you hand it to the person behind the till.

Back on topic, went to same shop to pay money into joint account. New person on till had zero idea again as they inserted the card but they at least tried and when I told them they needed to swipe and it worked she said ‘Ah, thank you for that, I’ll try and remember’. Certainly some progress but I’m more forthcoming. If t was my girlfriend she’d have just left it and assumed Monzo was broken.

(Kevyn) #69

This will probably be one of the issues with Monzo spending money printing out instruction cards for all 28,000 PayPoints. Will the shops just bin it as junk mail or it get misplaced as it is not a priority for the shops and the card never getting to the sales assistants on the shop front.

( related to Monzo CEO, Investor in Monzo ) #70

maybe more details in app for Monzo customers to know how the facility works , so that they can “instruct” the till operator - I know the Paypoint shop should know how but from the posts some don’t seem to - or simply don’t want to ?

(Alex Barrett) #71

Not sure if it’s a training thing but I’ve found that if you want to use a PayPoint then ASDA are a pretty good bet.

For me as a suburb dweller it’s a lot easier to go to a large supermarket with a decent car park and well trained staff used to handling cash and deposit funds, rather than try and find a post office (nigh on impossible around here)

Certainly from my point of view PayPoint is the much preferred partner.

(Jack) #72

@HughWells Currently the pay in cash screen says “Just hand your Monzo card to the cashier.” Could this be changed to “Just hand your Monzo card to the cashier to swipe.” or similar.

This can act as a reminder, if someone sees the cashier trying to use the chip, it may prompt a “my app says the card needs to be swiped” conversation.

It won’t solve every issue, but may help many people get their cash paid in.

(Hugh Wells) #73

It could change, but ideally we wouldn’t be beholden on the customer to be telling shop staff how to use the machines :slight_smile: I think we’d prefer to explore other options first :+1:

(Simon B) #74

A little late to the party but I just deposited some cash at the Co-Op. It couldn’t have gone more smoothly! Told the assistant I wanted to put some money onto Monzo, he asked how much and I told him and gave him the cash. Had the notification less than 5 seconds later.

Out of curiosity, I then asked him how many people had been using PayPoint there to our cash on Monzo. He said quite often, and more than usual today!

(Gavin) #75

May i ask what Co-Op as i have trouble at mine

(Simon B) #76

In Birmingham, where I live :slight_smile:

We did have some issues with PayPoint specifically at Co-Op, but we’ve deployed a fix for that now.

(Morgan Perry) #77

I had an issue at my parents’ local paper shop whilst I was home for Christmas this week.

They directed me to the Post Office, but I kindly mentioned that PayPoint was the processor.

After doing some digging on the Community forum I went back, and, very kindly, the couple who run it had done some digging and found out how to process the deposit.

It was seamless, in the end.

(Gavin) #78

So will the co op near me now do the top ups

(Nicholas Robinson-Wall) #79

The problem that Simon was talking about is something we identified during the staff testing phase, prior to launching cash deposits to the public. All Co-Op branches should be able to do cash deposits.

What was the problem you experienced at yours?

(Gavin) #80

They dont seem to understand what im talking about or how to do it

(Nicholas Robinson-Wall) #81

Sorry to hear that :pensive:- would you mind letting us know through in-app chat which co-op this is? We’ll pass the details on to PayPoint who will call up the store and let them know how to do it.

(Gavin) #82

Only problem is i messaged them about this before and only reply i got was saying give them time

(Gavin) #83

Ive messaged customer support and all they said to me Nick was give the shop time as its fairly new

(Oliver Dunk) #84

My first attempt (at a Co-Op store) was successful! Here’s what happened:

1. I asked to do a “Top up with PayPoint”.
  2. I handed over my card.
  3. For a brief moment, the assistant gave me a strange look, presumably because she wasn’t expecting my card.
  4. She asked me how much I’d like to add, and then swiped my card. Or maybe the other way around.
  5. I handed over the cash.
  6. I was given a receipt, and Monzo notified me that the deposit was coming.
  7. Exactly ten minutes later, the money was added to my balance in Monzo.

Overall, I found the process incredibly easy, and it was much smoother than I expected.