Paying Cash At PayPoint

Agreed.

It should not be the case that going via an alternative bank account is the easiest way to get money into your account. Customer confidence is based around knowing things will work every time. Getting refused at a Paypoint terminal, or risking loss of cheques in the post are unacceptable.

Monzo are getting the basics of banking wrong, and as a bank without branches, they need to be getting it right.

3 Likes

Not saying you’re wrong - these are what would be considered basic functions of a traditional bank - but it does depend on your individual behaviour on whether cash and cheque deposits are “basics of banking” for you.For me it’s not an issue as I rarely use cash let alone deposit it; same with cheques.

Equally I’m happy to use the best tool for the job. If Monzo can concentrate on excelling on budgeting and provide a reduced service for cash and cheques then so be it from my perspective.

Monzo has to (and clearly has) weigh up it’s priorities. As a customer you need to choose the right tools for you.

1 Like

Right, so now we have holographic debit cards but still can’t pay cash in reliably!?

1 Like

Yeah but shiny thing to show off :thinking::rofl:

1 Like

I think the priority in that instance is making a profit and driving “Full Monzo” use. Picking on a single part of a packaged product doesn’t give the full picture.

1 Like

You cannot be “full monzo” without having another bank to pay in cash or a cheque into I think that’s the issue.

You can be “full starling” or “full traditional bank” for this reason.

I believe that one of the main reasons for packaged accounts was that it was one of the top answers on customer surveys for “What would make you go full Monzo?”.

Again, you can be anything you want as a customer as long as your own personal requirements are met.

1 Like

Well, technically, you can. If you never need to pay in cash, or cheques.

I’d argue that no bank is perfect for everyone’s needs, and it doesn’t make sense to be ‘full’ any bank.

I have five current accounts. None of them are perfect for me, but taken together, they give me everything I need (or want) from banking.

3 Likes

And you can pay in both cash and cheques with Monzo - it might not be the best process but it is possible.

2 Likes

Im not going full Lloyds as they only accept £250 in coins , and they have to be in full, separated denominations …it really doesnt suit my needs and Starling only accept cheques up to £500 where is the use in that … Monzo only accept a grand in cash every 6 months …pffft

1 Like

If you sell a car for £4000 in cash it will take 2 years to pay it into monzo that isn’t a company who happily accepts cash.

Monzo don’t want cash or a cheque which is fine but the halfway house options are I would argue do more harm then good as the negative image when one paypoint shop refuses travels faster then a shiny plus card.

for the car seller I would agree …Monzo isn’t the account for them … which maybe is what they are saying …we dont really want to deal with lots of cash customers …and thats fine because it is their choice and the choice of the customer to weigh up whether Monzo T and Cs suit their needs, rather than keep arguing that Monzo should change their stance because it doesnt suit me, the likes of Starling are quite happy to deal with large cash deposits …great… I dont need cash deposits

1 Like

100% these exact examples are the things that could put a potential customer off. Monzo have to weigh up that potential loss in custom with gains elsewhere.

1 Like

I sold a few cars privately in the last few years and actually people don’t want to pay thousands in cash anymore. It’s a pain to get that much cash and it’s a pain to put it in your bank with less and less branches. They want to bank transfer it.

There was one exception where I did sell one car for £7000 cash and I had to be questioned by my bank about where they money came from and had to show them a for sale advert etc took over 30 mins. It was a right pain!

I have no need for cash anymore and I very rarely use it. So I’m happy with the way Paypoint works for the very rare occasion I have accumulated some cash and want to pay it in. Although agreed I need a legacy bank for the above car sale :joy:

Monzo define “Full Monzo” as simply having your salary paid in and at least 1 direct debit. Or at least they used to when they gave a badge for it in app :slight_smile:

One thing i’ve always wondered about this is starling are not members of link but allow post office services.

Do their cards have the link application but it doesn’t work in ATM’s. Tried mine in a Coventry Building Society ATM to test this. (Card not accepted error like with monzo)

Link is pointless monzo joining due to costs and cash on it’s way out.
I’m guessing they pay less in interchange when mastercard is used to preform ATM withdrawals.

I haven’t paid cash into my bank in years. If I have it I spend it. We are all different

So now that I’m a Plustomer and because I’m going to be out of the UK for a while I thought I’d pay in the £30 that’s been sitting in my wallet for months. This is the first time I’ve used PayPoint so here’s how it went:

Me: Hi, can I deposit this money onto this card?
Cashier: No that’s a bank card it won’t work.
Me: Yes it definitely will work, you just need to swipe it.
Cashier: No you need to pay money in at the Post Office.
Me: Opens Monzo app and shows her the PayPoint page
Cashier: No it won’t work.
Me: Can you at least try swiping it so then we’ll both see now if it doesn’t work?
Cashier: No

I’ve reported them to PayPoint, but that hasn’t really helped me because I’ve now left and I still have the money in cash and not in my account.

And before you say this is easier with a legacy bank - getting to a HSBC within their opening hours to pay in cash is really really difficult for me. PayPoint would be really convenient if it actually worked :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

That’s just pure ignorance on the part of the cashier! I used the service for the first time myself recently in my local Co op and it was totally painless.

You’re right to report the cashier in my opinion but there does seem a prevalence of ignorance around the smaller shops which Paypoint need to address.

In the meantime,find yourself (if you can) a Co op and I’m sure you’ll get rid of your £30.

Stay safe mate

1 Like

If that’s how they treat all their customers then I wouldn’t expect them to succeed in business. Do you not have another paypoint operator near you? They’re pretty widespread.

2 Likes