Monzo Web: Feedback Thread

Most email providers have back up codes or you can generate specific app passwords that can be kept in password managers for this situation

2 Likes

Companies do give recovery codes which they say save or print out, but you are still going to be screwed if you’ve lost your phone.

As I said, I think this web version is a bit pointless.

Working fine on Chrome

Screwed in what sense?

I have email I can access elsewhere which I normally use.

I set this up deliberately for three applications, including monzo, which I only access from my phone. This was to avoid the spam and unwanted, probably virus ridden attachments which come daily to my usual addresses, as no doubt they do to nearly everybody elses whatever precautions and care they may take.

2 Likes

You not going to be able to access the web version. As been mentioned, most have 2FA set up on email accounts so if you lose your phone, how do you get the Monzo link to access the web version. You are not going to have backup codes with you. Hence why I said this web version is pointless.

Since we’re talking about an emergency web interface, it’s not unreasonable to imagine a scenario where you want to login and freeze your card without being on your own device. Perhaps a better way to phrase my question would have been, is there a practical advantage of logging in this way? Doesn’t it slow down the process of wanting to freeze my card in an emergency?

3 Likes

No they don’t. And you can create a fallback process if you do.

• I have 2FA for my email account
  • I don’t have 2FA for my email account
0 voters
2 Likes

AFAIK you are liable for any misuse on your card until you report it stolen.

So if you’ve enabled two factor authentication on your email account (which you should) you risk being defrauded until you get home…

As a general rule, you’re not liable, as long as you stick to the T’s & C’s Terms & Conditions.

2 Likes

Can you tell me where it says that??

2 Likes

They don’t but they should. It’s too important to leave exposed.

1 Like

When you say you’re not going to have the back up codes with you from where are you assuming that people are accessing monzo web? As I said there are password managers accessible on the web for these sorts of things.

1 Like

That only says they might refund transactions. It’s wishy washy wording designed to sound good but cover Monzo (for good reason).

In fact it states:

But, you won’t be able to claim back money you’ve lost if:

the losses aren’t the direct result of our actions.

Which doesn’t fill me with confidence.

Practical advantage is I don’t have to have yet another banking password

4 Likes

That’s fine. If it happens & you’ve stuck to the T’s & C’s, let me know whether they do reimburse you or not.

I already know the answer

4 Likes

In the worst case scenario you’ve lost your phone, locked out of email, lost your card but have access to a computer and the internet Google monzo customer service number and ring them from Skype/borrow a friend’s phone.

4 Likes

Maybe food for thought for monzo to be able to have direct access to co-ops via web chat from their website?

1 Like

I’d imagine a higher percentage of users on this forum would use 2FA on their email compared to the general public.

Only because a lot of people on here are more interested in tech and how things work.

11 Likes

You could be away on holiday, you are not going to take your backup codes with you. Maybe there are web-based password managers but not everyone uses them, some use ones provided by their phone provider, for example, Keychain.