Monzo Plus Plastic Waste diversion

Yeah, sorry, didn’t mean that question to undermine your point - I was just interested - I haven’t got round to reading all of the Plus thread yet to thought it might be in there.

1 Like

I hope this is taken in the jest it’s meant but this is what I love about the randomness of the Monzo forum, here we’re debating about how it’s unethical for Monzo to waste plastic like this and in the my Card is already open thread, we’re ordering as many cards as it takes to get a perfect envelope :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

The two are completely different issues. One is cancelling a card to keep your piece of plastic “exclusive” while the other is a potential security issue exposing you to the possibility of fraud for which you are liable through negligence

Not the same at all

9 Likes

Rather than focusing in on a small detail and comparing banks on one small policy (replacement of cards, once you withdraw from premium service) Wouldn’t a better focus to be on campaigning that all financial institutions are required to complete carbon footprint assements, broken down by carbon cost per customer and publish them?

Then we can all make choices, based on our own personally perspective and have a comparison across institutions to choose who we bank with.

It would then be easy for the environmentally savvy individuals to spot the impact on new products, so financial institutions would change their behaviour and be conscious of their impact when making business decisions.

1 Like

Is Monzo joining the Mastercard card programme to switch to greener alternatives?

https://www.finextra.com/newsarticle/36257/mastercard-launches-sustainable-card-programme

4 Likes

I’ve just cancelled my Plus subscription within the 14-day cooling off period. I didn’t order a Plus card because I knew there was a reasonable chance I would cancel the subscription during the cooling off period.

Cancellation was easy and I instantly received £5 refund as per cooling T&Cs. However, the cancellation has resulted in Monzo automatically issuing me with a new Coral card. It seems the cancellation process has no awareness of whether or not a Plus card was issued, so I now have to replace my working Coral card with a new Coral card.

3 Likes

:weary: This is just awful. Automatic waste generating version 1. Also very inconvenient for people having to update card details. Why Monzo, why ?

3 Likes

Because it’s out of Monzo’s control. If you get a new bank/credit card with any bank in this country you’ll get a new card number :man_shrugging:t2:

Edit: Although i stand by my point - was incorrect to the post a couple above.

In the situation I mentioned (two posts back) there was no need for Monzo to issue a replacement card. Plus card was not taken. Old Coral card was still working. The issuing of the new card in this case seems to be due to lack of awareness in the cancellation flow of whether or not a Plus card was previously issued.

6 Likes

Do you? Can’t you just put the new one in a drawer in case you lose the current one?

1 Like

Don’t know. Never had a replacement card from Monzo before (aside from when prepay card was replaced with proper bank card). But chat support has advised to destroy and discard the old card when the new one arrives.

Fair - my bad

1 Like

You’d have to live with that “activate your card” banner in the app forever and hope that, while monzo have forgotten that you didn’t get a new holographic card and forced you to have a new hot coral card, they’ve also remembered that you didn’t get a holographic card and aren’t about to cancel your old card :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

This and you can’t see your “contactless until C&P” limit. I’m living with this on my JA at the moment.