Monzo Metal Card

I like the white one - looks cleaner. Plus like any card, it’ll get worn overtime if used :man_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

Have you not seen the drama about apples card though?

Can’t put it in trouser pockets or with other cards and people that have tested say the white becomes dirty in less than a day

Yea I have, and that happens with any card - I have other cards from Lloyds, HSBC which are multi colours but because of times I have put them in a bag with other stuff - keys, trouser pockets where the denim stained the sides (because denim can stain) etc.

I now use a metal wallet, my card are fine - still get scratches when they’re used in a machine but it’s a card - it will get damaged no matter what type of cards they are. Heck I’ve even seen the black titanium amex card with scratches on it because of usages in card machines.

End of the day I like the white card that Monzo has pitched and will be bringing out (in which I will be getting), to be paranoid about a white card getting dirty is a bit silly imo :man_shrugging:t2:

I think the issue with metal is
A. They are £90 (estimate)
B. They are meant to be permanent

So getting a plastic one replaced is free and automatic every few years but metal isn’t

1 Like

I agree the fee is a bit much - but we still don’t know what exactly they’ll offer the card for (so fingers crossed it’ll be a bit lower) not have we heard if they will or will not bundle other features specifically with the metal card.

With card replacements - a metal card doesn’t mean its forever, the chips can still die/expire. It’s just how Monzo handles the renewal process of a card - if there will be fees or not.

One other note is that if Monzo is going to offer a subscription option for the card (plus any benefits that it comes with etc) then they need to put in a measure to stop people from paying the first month fee, then cancelling the subscription but still being able to use the metal card. I hope that they will also de-activate that card if someone cancels the subscription early and make them use their plastic cards instead, because for people who are actually willing to pay for the metal card (either in full or monthly) it won’t be fair that someone is “cheaping out” on a product/service that is meant to be more premium.

1 Like

Any updates on the Metal Cards @samw? Any update would be amazing!

4 Likes

Expect they’ll have an update for the Plus event next week.

1 Like

Hopefully

1 Like

So considering how many people in this thread were/are excited for metal… I’m curious to know how many of you will be switching to the Supporter Bundle to be entered for a chance to win one. :eyes:

I didn’t predict this was how the metal rollout would begin, but here we are.

6 Likes

I’ll probably opt in to that bundle.

The main reason I have Plus is to support the company so why not! The metal card is just a ‘plus’ :wink::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Please, please, please… for your sake… don’t think that Monzo is your friend or that you owe them anything. They are a bank trying to make a profit. Granted they offer useful budgeting tools but please don’t fall into the trap of thinking you owe them anything!

14 Likes

I will be cancelling my subscription entirely, in fact, I’ve just opened a chat in app to try and do that now. I wanted a metal card, but I don’t want one enough to support the farce that Monzo Plus has just become.

2 Likes

Totally agree, as much as I love monzo, it’s an easy trap to fall in to. If they want to become profitable, they need to rely on more than just a loyal customer base.

2 Likes

It’ll be interesting to see what ability comes first - the ability to win one tia the supporter bundle or the ability to just buy one outright (for what ever Plus membership - not just the supporter)

(Or both at the same time would be ideal to be fair)

Bit harsh on him

He seems fair open eyed (“so why not!”) and support does not have to mean owe

I signed up for Plus on my way to Investival (which, while free, cost me the same for trains and lunch as my Plus subscription for a year) as I also wanted to offer my support and have some skin in the game/put my money where my mouth is

Yes, Monzo is not my friend, but I find the idea of treating all businesses as purely out for your money and nothing else a bit too clinical for my taste. My old bank laundered money for Mexican drug cartels, but should I ditch Monzo for them if they give me 0.1% more in interest because that is the most profitable thing for me?

1 Like

I would absolutely love a metal card, it gives of a premium vibe. :grin:

2 Likes

I won’t be and note Monzo have given no information on the chances of winning one either so look forward to the comparisons of having a Plus account vs buying a premium bond/lottery ticket and seeing who is likely to be better off…

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Monzo Plus – you asked to us make it simpler, so we’ve created bundles

I think it’s worrying that Monzo are going this route though to be honest, I wouldn’t be the slightest bit surprised if I see in future they stop this lottery.

(No, I won’t be swapping to the Supporter bundle).

1 Like

But that’s the thing. To me it sounds like it you’re a plus member you can buy one - then there will be a lottery for those few “lucky” winners so they won’t have to pay

1 Like