[monzo.me] Regular issues with payments

Its down to the banks to do the checks to see if visa have blocked the payments

Don’t PayPal pools require everyone to have a PayPal account? Or does PayPal accept card payments for pools?

It might be easier if everyone opened a monzo account and you ran a shared tab instead!

While that would be lovely, I doubt I could convince a team of 75+ people to join Monzo just for the sake of company pools.

Unfortunately as far as I’m aware this isn’t something we can fix, as it’s down to the individual banks and their payments checks

I understand that, but I wonder if Monzo has any clout to apply pressure to organisations like Visa in order to legitimise them? It just seems really bad for business that one of the biggest payment providers in the entire world does not work reliably with Monzo.

Another way of putting it is that monzo.me just isn’t reliable enough for your needs.

There are plenty of unresolved issues reported on the forum

Another way of putting it is that monzo.me just isn’t reliable enough for your needs.

Yes, precisely. It’s frustrating trying to evangelise about Monzo and then having to say “Oh, yeah, but that Monzo.me thing never works”. A lot of my friends/family members/colleagues first interaction with Monzo is through Monzo.me - it not working so much of the time is an instant turn-off for them.

2 Likes

Its not just monzo visa do it to most payments it happens quite alot to people

Its not just monzo visa do it to most payments it happens quite alot to people

I have, and have had, a Visa account in some capacity for over 15 years and since the introduction of “Verified by Visa” I have only encountered this issue a handful of times across probably hundreds if not thousands of transactions. It certainly does occur but not with the almost-guarantee like Monzo.me payments do fail.

Does Monzo process all these payments in house now?

Yh i understand that but when the see like monzo they block it cause could be fraud and someone trying to use ur card to pay money into theres or because there not sure of the payment just to protect everyone i mnow its a paint in the bum

The problem really is that these transactions are quite unlike your other transactions.

Who else lets you pay cash straight into a bank account from your debit card?

Debit cards are normally used to buy goods and services.

Using them effectively for money transfers opens up a whole new “angle of attack” for fraudsters.

As such, it’s not a great service and ultimately you are more or less forced to go down the PayPal route with everyone opening verified accounts, for anything but one off, simple payments

Thanks i didnt know how to put it

1 Like

Monzo.me is still handled by Stripe as far as I know :slight_smile:

The extra layers can hardly help, right?

I had an issue with Monzo.me back in April - the 3D Secure check consistently failed with the flash error message “3D Secure check failed, please try again” - even when sending from my own Monzo account to my own Monzo account. This affected incoming payments to myself and a colleague.

Under the hood, it was failing with an API response of {"code":"bad_request.card_error.card_declined","message":"Your card was declined"} from the https://internal-api.monzo.com/stripe/inbound_p2p/charge endpoint.

Customer support were completely useless, but I did get the issue sorted in the end by contacting an engineer via an unofficial channel. Never got an explanation as to why it happened, but maybe it’s regressed?

I’m confident it absolutely was not the fault of the Monzo.me end user’s bank. it was reproduced with multiple different people and multiple cards.

Is this issue what you’re seeing?

3 Likes

Interesting! If you DM me the engineer j can try and sync up with them this week to get some insight :slight_smile:

1 Like

Done!

1 Like

Hey, do you have a contact of an engineer who I’d be able to contact?

I’m having this exact same issue, saw that it was failing on a {"code":"bad_request.card_error.card_declined","message":"Your card was declined"} as well for multiple people.

Have you tried and failed with the usual customer support channels already, @Aleksis?