Monzo.me

Hi all,

After a few intense weeks of work we can share with you a new sneak peek, this shiny new thing called Monzo.me

OMG, I’m so excited about this :heart_eyes: Let me breathe a bit before I share it… 3, 2, 1… OK

So, what’s Monzo.me? A really simple way for friends to pay money into your account even if they don’t have Monzo cards yet.

STEP 1

As a Monzo user you’ll get a personal link monzo.me/yourname that you can share with your friends using WhatsApp, Facebook, text, email and whatnot.

STEP 2

Your friends visit that link, fill their debit cards details and the amount they want to send to your Monzo card. They click a big blue button.

And that’s it, THAT’S IT, the money is on your card :boom:

Like the rest of Monzo this is completely free and pretty awesome if you ask me :sunglasses:

Huge kudos to @zancler @Sam @daniel.cannon @jgarnham @andys @priyesh @Ede and of course @ole and @tristan. As you can see building Monzo.me has been an absolute team effort. Thanks to all of them and thanks to all the users that came and helped us testing it.

What’s next?

• If everything goes well we will be releasing Monzo.me very very :soon:
  • After that we’d like to incorporate Monzo.me at a transaction level so you can split bills straight from the app.
  • Maybe Android Pay?

What do you think? Please let us know!

Thanks a lot, have a great weekend!
Hugo

32 Likes

With a little more iteration over time (why the + and - buttons with precise numbers in a request for example), this has the potential to become a really key part of the full Monzo experience.

I put a lot of casual expenses with family and friends on my card and currently send screenshots of each transaction or a crop of the feed to get paid back into another account via. PayM or regular Faster Payments. The way I see it, Monzo.me plus Apple/Android Pay has the potential to greatly increase the speed and reliability of getting paid back for these things.

Question: If a Monzo.me payment request is sent to another Monzo user, is there any consideration for redirecting that back to a P2P payment in the app rather than making the other person type their card details in?

3 Likes

This looks great! :heart_eyes:

It would be great if this was built into an iMessage app too, along with the send money functionality -

https://community.monzo.com/t/send-money-imessage-app/5965?u=alexs

2 Likes

Very exciting. Couple of quick questions about this:

• So who pays the card transaction charges? Monzo?
  • Any idea what the future top-up payment limits will be for this (after becoming a bank?)

I’m glad I’m sitting down otherwise I would’ve fell over with excitement :heart_eyes:

The iMessage extension would be a nice addition but obviously not essential especially before release. Hopefully the release is before the 10th as I have dinner date with a group of friends and I want to wow them all!

Building on @RichardR’s reply, the + and - buttons work well with top ups but with the flexibility down to the penny in this case it might be better to also allow for free-type over the amount as well as keeping the buttons.

Yeah, that’s exactly how it works. If you have the Monzo app installed it goes straight to the P2P flow :boom:

4 Likes

Damn! Looks good - Will it look as good on Android :wink: lol

1 Like

We do, 100% :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As usual Monzo.me seems designed with iOS in mind as the instructions “If you already have a Monzo card, go to the Request tab under Contacts to find your unique username and share your link.” surely don’t work on Android :sob:

3 Likes

I’m sure they’ll release it very soon. The android devs are doing a great job

1 Like

When you say “your name”, how does that scale?

Can I pick my name, or is it assigned?

If I signed up later and am not the first of my name, do I have to live with some annoying numeral suffix?

3 Likes

For now the link is assigned directly with your full legal name, all lowercase. First user to enable the feature gets the “clean” username, subsequent collisions are solved with a suffix number. It doesn’t look awesome but it solves the problem.

Once Monzo.me is working we’ll surely evolve it into a traditional username model where users can define their own names, profile pictures and aliases (eg. Twitter) :hatching_chick:

5 Likes

so all the iOS users will get their name but by the time Android catches up they will need a number suffix on their name

2 Likes

yes, overtyping the amount would be good. This basic functionality is lacking from topup so would be a shame if it also missing from here

[quote=“MIROW, post:14, topic:6781”]overtyping the amount would be good.
[/quote]

That’s how it works, you can see in the screenshot that the amount is £17.64 :+1:

Regarding Android, fair enough. If you are really concerned about “your” username being registered by someone else I’d suggest asking a friend if you could use their iPhone to log in and get Monzo.me first. Probably overkill, but it’s a potential workaround.

Would it be better if we could release features in both platforms at the same time? Of course, but the reality is that one of the apps started much later and it wouldn’t make sense to stop iPhone development just to artificially close the gap. So our iOS devs keep building new stuff while the Android team catches up at an IMHO amazing speed. I hope it does makes sense :grinning:

6 Likes

Oh boy, that’s going to be fun for some! :laughing:

:thumbsup:

Thanks for reply :slight_smile:

When will this be available? Any Idea?

Monzo.Me Website is already Up :wink:

1 Like

The Monzo.me website says existing users can go into the Request Tab under Contacts to find your unique username and share your link. I have the latest 1.8.2 iOS App and only have Send showing, no Request Tab. Is an App update due to correspond with the website?

Yes, that tab’s not available yet.