Monzo Labs: Shared Tabs šŸ“‘

Hi

Iā€™ve tried setting this up but having an issue :frowning:

Iā€™ve switched on the feature in Monzo Labs. In the Home tab I select Shared Tabs Enabled in Labs, then select Take Me To Shared Tabs and Create a Shared Tab. Then Create a Shard Tab again. Select a Contact but the next process is greyed out at the bottom of the page, therefore I canā€™t set it up :frowning:

Anyone else getting the same issue? How do I fix it?

Iā€™m using the latest version of the Monzo App, 2.23.0.

Thanks in Advance

Barry :slight_smile:

Thanks to everyone whoā€™s shared their experiences so far! :raised_hands:Weā€™ve found it super-helpful to read through your comments.

As we get closer to releasing Tabs, here are some of the ideas my team are thinking about doing next:

Keeping a tab running after settling
Weā€™ve seen a lot of reasons to change the current settlement behaviour:

• Itā€™s not clear what clicking ā€œSettleā€ will do; many people find it surprising that it sends payment requests.
  • Itā€™s weird that you can Decline payment requests.
  • You have to wait until the end to receive any money (as @priceaj pointed out!)
  • We want to support long-running tabs (e.g. flat shares), which are settled up regularly rather than at the end

Weā€™d like to redesign Shared Tabs so that anyone who owes can pay at any time; if youā€™re owed, then you can send a reminder to nudge other people; and you can only close a tab once everyone has paid.

Splitting the bill unevenly
Several of you have requested the option to adjust how payments are split. While we think itā€™s easiest if all payments should be split equally by default, it would be useful if you can edit the amount each person will payā€”just like Bill Splitting.

Make it obvious you can delete payments from a tab

Add a payment to an existing tab straight from the transaction details screen

Hopefully itā€™s interesting to hear what weā€™re thinking about ā€“ but I should re-iterate that weā€™ve put Shared Tabs into Labs as early access, so we may decide to release Shared Tabs to everyone before we do any of the above! :blush:

16 Likes

Have you give your tab a name yet?

Itā€™s not very clear that you have to name the tab. I think the option to name should be on a separate screen after selecting the tab participants.

Thanks Tim.

Glad youve taken the feedback onboard and look forward to seeing these improvements in Shared Tabs :slight_smile:

Out of all your points i think the one that I would stress be included before moving out of labs is:

I think this most needed one and without it will render tabs pretty useless in alot of potential use cases

2 Likes

Hi

Thanks :slight_smile: I hadnā€™t named the Tab, I completely missed that option at the top of the screen.

How do I delete a Shared Tab after itā€™s created?

Thanks in Advance

Barry :slight_smile:

Does this mean that settling closes the tab? Iā€™ve not used one yet but it seemed a bit ambiguous.

The terminology is very confusing currently :disappointed:

Trying to avoid jargon: currently, anyone can declare ā€œweā€™re done hereā€, which sends out payment requests, and youā€™re no longer allowed to add transactions to the tab. Once everyone has paid, the tab moves into ā€œArchived tabsā€.

If we do long-running tabs, we imagine that once everyone has paid, you can only declare ā€œweā€™re done hereā€ once everyone has paid; when you do, and it immediately moves to Archived tabs.

4 Likes

So thereā€™s currently no way of keeping a tab open after sending out payment requests? For example on a group holiday, settling up at the end of each day, but keeping the tab open for the remainder of the holiday? I guess in that scenario you could always create a new tab each day.

4 Likes

And this is why Monzo are awesome!

2 Likes

Thatā€™s right: as it is now, after requesting payments, you have to start a new tab.

2 Likes

Hi,
this is a great feature and i could finally to get rid of the spreadsheet we are using to reconcile our household expenses.

I quickly tried adding an expense then my girlfriend pressed settle and this is the result:

The payment hasnā€™t gone trough, so just checking if itā€™s a bug or is she has to do something else after settling the tab.
Our expectation would be that the payment happens just after settling the tab (may be with a would you like to pay now or later confirmation)

Aso I wonder if a bit of guidance on what happens next under the settle button would be of any help.

Creating a tab on ios was slightly confusing (i did manage eventually).
I found that naming the tab and search were visually too close and I thought i was searching rather than naming so at first I dismissed looking for my contacts underneath.

After entering the tab name I would expect the keyboard to go away after pressing return. I felt i missed the feeback that the naming was done and i could then choose the contacts. Is it worth considering splitting the naming and contact picking in 2 steps?

For next releases, it would be great if we could have a scheduled settling process when creating a tab: when it reaches a certain date (eg, end of the month) or amount (to make sure you donā€™t get too much out of pocket).

Something like:
1 choose name
2 when youā€™d like the tab to be settled/closed
(When reaching a date or a x amount)
3 pick contacts.

Thanks for the good work and for giving us the chance to give feedback.
Cris

5 Likes

Yes please!

3 Likes

The notification my partner received about the tab was a different name to what I called it. His notification said ā€œjoin Pizza Partyā€ if that helps decipher why I might have done this

1 Like

Currently, when you settle the tab, we send a number of Payment Requests to everyone who owes money. These appear on the Home tab, just like Bill Splitting. You then tap ā€œAcceptā€ for the money to move.

Weā€™re aware this is confusing, so weā€™re reworking things so that money moves immediately, instead of sending payment requests :slight_smile:

This is also good feedback, and something weā€™re aware ofā€”thanks!

3 Likes

:information_source: Weā€™ve just made some changes behind the scenes, so that we can bring you long-running tabs and uneven splits in the near future. Let me know if you see anything broken!

In particular, you might find that the ā€œowes/receivesā€ amounts change by a few pence. Everything will still add up, and weā€™ve made sure that everythingā€™s still fair :+1:

2 Likes

This could be an issue for people who keep a lot of money in potsā€¦ I think still approving the payment is the right way to go.

Iā€™ve not tried using this yet but was wondering if thereā€™s a distinction between starting a shared tab from the joint account vs solo amount? I know bill splitting struggles with the joint account and assume this is the same?

To be clear, youā€™ll still have to manually approve the payment! There just wonā€™t be the extra step of sending payment requests.

3 Likes

Bill Splitting and Joint Accounts

You can split the bill from a joint account. This will send out payment requests from your joint account: so when a Monzo user pays you back, it will go into the joint account.

If you share a monzo.me link with someone not on Monzo, it will always go to your personal account.

Payment requests are always sent to your personal account, so if you pay someone back from a bill split, it will always come from your personal account, not your joint account. (Iā€™d like to change thisā€¦)

Shared Tabs and Joint Accounts

Shared Tabs are a group between a set of users, not a set of accounts, so you canā€™t start a tab ā€œfrom your joint accountā€: you start a tab with you and some friends.

Currently, you canā€™t add joint account transactions to a tab: you can only add personal account transactions. (Iā€™d like to change this too!)

I use my joint account for everything, so I made sure that Bill Splitting worked for joint accounts too. Havenā€™t quite convinced my team to prioritise this for Shared Tabs yetā€¦ weā€™ve got some more important things to do first! :smile:

4 Likes

Bill splitting is ā€œbrokenā€ for us and joint accounts only when I go to do the weekly shop and buy some booze for myself and the misses along with the essentials. Our alcohol we pay for from our own accounts. This means I need to split the Ā£80 Morrisons shop by requesting Ā£15 from the misses (which I can do no problem) but I also need to request Ā£15 from myself (which I canā€™t do).

Iā€™ve tried getting her to split the joint transaction with me from her side after weā€™ve sorted the split from my side but it wonā€™t let us by then :worried:

2 Likes