Monzo Labs: Bills Pots 🍯

It’s not a huge issue, but when you go to the Scheduled tab, select a direct debit and click Set payment from pot, this is what you see if you don’t have any regular pots.

I would expect to see a prompt to create a regular pot.

Android app Version 2.64.2

6 Likes

I’m currently trying to automate my Bills Pot deposit so it goes out on my payday. My idea is, since I get paid on the last working day of the month, I can use a formula on a spreadsheet to work out this date and, on payday, it will trigger a counter to change, which I can then use the “If cell updated” trigger to set a pot payment.

The only issue I have with the formula is that I can’t figure out how to make it go at a certain time in the day (2:00am). The IFTTT will trigger at midnight, but my BACS usually doesn’t go in until between 01:00 and 02:00.

Spreadsheet is here for anyone who wants a look.

If you get paid via BACS, why not create a scheduled payment on the 31st - to transfer an amount from your main account to your bills pot, covering the next month’s worth of scheduled D/D’s - and then always choose to get paid early?

This means you’ll collect the incoming BACS payment at 4pm (or later) on the 30th and the scheduled payment on the 31st will happen after 2:30(ish)am. No need for external sheets or IFTTT triggers.

EDIT: Given that months are not always 31 days, it would be safer to make the recurring transfer to the bills pot on the 1st and just have your salary paid in as normal. Unless you fancy getting it earlier and choose to get paid early in-app :smile::moneybag:

1 Like

It would be really very useful if you could transfer money directly to the bills pot in a joint account directly from your personal account. At the moment I have to make two hops, which also messes up the spending summary on the personal account. Any chance of that happening?

While your profile ‘links’ Personal Accounts and Joint Accounts (and any pots under either) for display purposes in the app, they are still separate accounts and so two hops may be unavoidable. The same goes for Summary - it currently shows a Summary per account.

It’s a nice idea though - and maybe a Summary re-work could handle such a feature.

Well, even my Halifax account allows me to do this. So I am sure that Monzo can find a way, given that one of their core goals is to provide much a better UI than traditional banks.

Simply put, I don’t want to see the money in my balance at all. It may seem a bit OTT but I’m a strong believer in “out of sight, out of mind.”

Anyway, I figured it out. I literally just had to plonk a + time 2 hrs formula on the end of the last working day of the month formula in C1. The trigger should now fire off at 2am on the last working day of the month, taking into account the bank holidays for 2019. Using that as the IFTTT trigger, I shouldn’t have to mess with it again except to add next year’s bank holidays.

1 Like

Loving bills pot’s, already tested & used successfully.

This will defintely make things easier for me personally :ok_hand:

1 Like

Mine didn’t seem to work this morning, still was paid from my balance and had to withdraw the amount from the pot. Thought I’d set it up to come straight from the pot though, any ideas?

That’s how it works. All interactions with accounts outside Monzo happen via the main balance.

1 Like

But surely I would have no need to withdraw £5 from the pot if it’s being paid directly from the pot?

It automatically withdraws the amount from the pot and the bill is paid from your main account.

The pot itself his just a holding ground for the money that you have put away to cover the direct debits assigned to that pot.

1 Like

Ah I see so it would look identical to a scheduled withdrawal on my transaction feed.

Pretty much. Hopefully in the future the pot withdrawal and the direct bebit will occupy the same line on your feed, kind of like the round up transactions, only instead of money being added to a pot after a transaction its for money being taken from the pot before the transaction.

3 Likes

Ahh my summary hasn’t worked, so my Sky bill is due to come out of a pot tomorrow, but my left to spend has dropped by the amount on the sky bill, not sure if anyone has seen this as well?

At the risk of derailing this thread. I just wanted to make sure you’ve accounted for bank holidays :slight_smile: I have a similar spreadsheet (though probably for a different financial task). I use the following formula to count how many days its been since my last pay day (which is last working day of the month, or previous working day if it falls on a bank holiday).

=if(workday(WORKDAY(EOMONTH(A1,0),+1,‘UK Bank Holidays sheet’!A:A),-1,‘UK Bank Holidays sheet’!A:A)=A1,0,B1+1)
Column A is dates, this formula is column B. List of UK bank holidays on a separate sheet

This formula is for google sheets, but I think a similar formula exists for excel. Using this figure I can compare balances across different pay cycle to see whether I’m above or below previous months on any given day.

Tiny preview, green is current cycle;

1 Like

I don’t think Summary is “talking” to the Bills Pots right now but then I guess that’s the joys of testing in labs. I hope this is taken into account soon though and definitely before it comes out of labs.

2 Likes

Mines doing that with my EE debit which is due tomorrow :blush:

1 Like

It would be amazing if rather than appearing as 2 transactions the feed could appear like round ups do - I.e. the bill payment with an indicator that it came out of your bills pot :raised_hands:t2::raised_hands:t2::raised_hands:t2:

7 Likes

It does indeed take bank holidays into account! The formula =WORKDAY(EOMONTH(B1,0)+1,-1,D:D)+TIME(2,0,0) is using the dates in the D column as holiday references so I just need to add them each year now :slight_smile:

1 Like