Monzo & IFTTT - Share your creations here!

Last one but this is work in progress and not working as yet…

I have opened a Flickr account for this, and the idea is to have the MerchantLogo uploaded to it with transaction details in the photo title - I will then set this photostream up as my Apple TV’s screensaver - so I can review in a visual way, the places (and amounts) I frequent.

It is more for the geekery - as it’s a tad sad to want to see this logos on a big screen.

However, I have hit a block.

The ingredient MerchantLogo seems to be a ifttt redirect short link and so an image gets uploaded with all the meta data as per the recipe, however it shows as IMAGE NOT FOUND…

Can I parse in this ingredient as simply as I have below? How would I get the final image URL into that Flickr upload box?

I can see that MerchantLogo returns for my last Nero transaction:

Caffè Nero - £ 2.70 June 8, 2018 at 10:45AM ift.tt/2xVR4Gc

FullSizeRender

Any ideas? I’d like to get it to work just for the fun of it really :sunglasses:

Cheers

3 Likes

Are you testing with Merchants that have the logo showing in the monzo app? have you tried getting it to send the pic to your google drive or somewhere first as a test, incase its getting lost in the steps?

Yeah that sounds really cool… If I had the cash now I’d jump on one of these: GlanceClock as I’d really like to see my balance etc (once implemented) on the wall - and I bet there’d be a ton more one could do with this type of 'connected IFTTT clock :smiley:

One day I’ll give this kind of thing a whirl!

1 Like

Ok I think I see what you mean. I see that MerchantLogo returns: ift.tt/2xVR4Gc (for Nero)

If I load this link, it bounces eventually to an image file, which I think is the issue, when the Flickr upload just wants the direct URL to the image to upload.

It must be possible, somehow … :slight_smile:

I’m doing 2 savings challenges this year - one where I save 1p on 1st of Jan, 2p on 2nd of Jan etc. It looks like Monzo has already created an applet for this which is really cool. The second challenge is £1 on a Monday, £2 on a Tuesday etc etc all the way to £7 on a Sunday, resetting each week. Can anyone advise how I would do this in one applet? I’m not sure how the “ingredients” work… I presume it’s possible to do in one applet rather than 7 separate ones.

Well that couldn’t go wrong… :stuck_out_tongue:

You can set up seven separate applets (one for each day of the week) easily enough using the Date and Time option. Personally I’d just pop £28 on a Sunday and be done with it! :wink:

2 Likes

That was the plan, then I noticed the 1p savings challenge and figured it must be easier to do something clever…

I could do, but it feels like a smaller amount when it comes out each day, and encourages me to spend less on the weekends!

Let your voice do the saving :slight_smile:

V2M

1 Like

I’ve just created the “daily” version of the demotivator:
It works out what the 10 year loss is if you buy your lunch every week-day (assuming you spend the same on lunch obviously).

For reference, if you spend £3.50 every work day (20 days a month), you’ve wasted a staggering £12186.61, of which £3,786.61 is interest (assuming a 7% annual interest rate, in relatively conservative index funds).

6 Likes

Is there a way to create an applet for the strava running app or any other running app which lets me save say 1p per 100m instead of the preset 1p per 10m.
I love the idea but I’m training for a marathon so running a lot and can’t afford say £10 per run etc :joy:

5 Likes

I had a similar problem when using the MerchantLogo to tweet the image along with the spending, and got the image not found. The URL of the merchant logo was (I believe) correct – a mondo-logo-cache URL. However the tweet showed it wrong.

I wonder if @kieranmch has any ideas

1 Like

Yeah I found the same thing. Turning off IFTTT url shortening got me to the stage you mention. But it’s a url request. Seems you can ask for a size of image to be returned. Would be good just for the geeky resolution to know if this type of thing is do-able :slight_smile:

Made this which should do what you want :smiley:

4 Likes

Here’s my Reverse 1p saving challenge recipe - it get’s easier through the year :grin:

3 Likes

Out of interest how do you build the more complicated applets on IFTTT. I can make basic ones but would be interested in learning a bit more. The IFTTT applets don’t give any details on how they are work…thanks.

2 Likes

Thank you! Are you able to share a screenshot of how this actually works? I’d be interested to see how to make one that’s a bit more complicated like this.

1 Like

There should be an IFTTT Monzo hack-a-thon - clearly some people in these forums with great ideas and some with great IFTTT skills. Team that up with engineers from Monzo and IFTTT (plus free pizza?) and think of the cool applets that would pop out.

10 Likes

Webhooks is good starter, spin up a node.js server or equivalent and let you ideas runaway!!

1 Like

in-case it helps anyone with non-monthly pay cycles i created a rule to run from google calendar to move money to a pot when a specific event starts. So set up “payday” in google calendar to happen every 4 weeks (which is when i get paid and then move £X to pot Y. !

Tried to run from ios calendar but the option didnt seem to be there?!
47%20pm

12 Likes