Monzo Debit Card Payments Support Force - Sign up here

WorldPay accepts MasterCard, though :thinking:

Current account seems to have issues being signed up
For some services.

The most recent I’ve found is with Trainline, Trainline doesn’t seem to recognise the debit card and says there is an issue with either the card type or number

Cheers

Strange, I’ve added my CA card to Trainline as soon as I got it and never had an issue. Maybe they only broke it recently but previously added cards work fine.

They have been made aware of this repeatedly. Apparently it is now fixed - I certainly hope so!

EDIT: They lied to me:

Obligatory “you’re better off booking tickets through the train operator, e.g. GWR, who won’t charge you a booking fee, won’t charge for using a credit card and let you collect Nectar points” because the Trainline is mentioned.

1 Like

You don’t get charged for booking via CrossCountry even though it uses the Trainline :stuck_out_tongue:

I prefer their app and booking engine (they lay out the options more clearly IMO) whereas the GWR uses “Mixing Desk” which is atrocious.

2 Likes

I’m happy to pay a premium to Trainline for their (quite decent) app and not having to create 10x different accounts on each operator’s site.

You don’t need to create an account for each individual operator. Just buy all your train tickets from one. All tickets are available everywhere, at the same prices, just that Trainline charge a fee and Train Companies don’t.

But if you’re happy to pay more for the same thing, go ahead. It’s people happy to pay this ‘premium’ that keeps them charging more than others.

3 Likes

I would understand your point if we were talking about like 10£ extra, but I think Trainline charges like 50p at most so you’d spend more time (=money) going to another site (which doesn’t have Trainline’s nice app) than just paying their fee.

This is what I used to do with CrossCountry. I liked the app, I liked the website. Obviously I will have to reassess given I can’t actually pay them any money now…

1 Like

Well, it looks like the Govt. aren’t so good at card acceptance… :joy:

Should all issues with Pay at pump be resolved at this point? I know Tesco is still giving us grief.

1 Like

Is there any update on when the current account will be getting instant payments to monzo contacts? (Like the prepaid)

2 Likes

really winding me up at the moment. Tried again tonight. Asda works, Sainsburys does. I’m starting to take it personally with Tescos!

Latest from a key contact for payments at Tesco:

"We’re currently investigating what’s going on, although as I imagine you already know, we haven’t got to the bottom of it yet. Thanks for your patience whilst we investigate further. I understand personally the frustration – I’d love to use my Monzo cards at pay-at-pump!

We have checked all basic configurations of our systems and everything seems to be okay, but both my prepaid and current account cards still fail as of 4pm today, so we’re digging into those examples some more.

If there’s any further information or examples you can provide which may help us in our investigation, please do let us know – we’d be keen to hear it."

4 Likes

That is simply not true. In most cases, yes, but certain promotional fares are available only on the relevant Train Operating Company’s booking engine. I would suggest ALWAYS looking at that as well, because you may come off with a better deal sometimes.

1 Like

Good to see a Monzo customer works for Tesco! May make this much easier to fix with some pushing on the inside!!!

That’s been my experience, too. For instance, SouthEastern has advance fares that don’t show up anywhere else other than their website. I think I’ve found this occasionally with other operators. I now always check with the relevant train company’s website. Another reason I don’t use the Trainline (though their app is great for checking times and rough idea of prices). It’s sort of a crazy situation, I think all fares should be available everywhere.

Edit: Also, it should be noted that there are often benefits from booking through certain company’s sites. Virgin East Coast give free WiFi on their trains, but only if booked through their site. You can also choose a specific seat with their seat selector and get air miles. I think the seat selector issue applies to CrossCountry, too. And if you book advance fares (on any train) on the CrossCountry website, you can modify your dates later without paying a £10 admin fee, as with every other site. Bringing this back to the thread topic: there are good reasons to need to book on specific train company websites, so they all need to work with the :monzo: card!

Have you used your Monzo card on the SE booking engine successfully? If you haven’t I’ll feed it back internally :grinning:

Southeastern, Southern, Thameslink, Great Northern and London Midland (until December) use the same booking engine software, so it should work on all if it works on one :slight_smile:

I’ve not, unfortunately. Due to timing issues (in terms of salary payment, when I booked the tickets, etc.) I wasn’t able to use the CA card when I booked those tickets. :frowning_face: Wish I could be more help.