Using Monzo everywhere: improving merchant acceptance

Here’s an update on what we’re doing to make sure you can use your Monzo card everywhere.

19 Likes

a great blog, thanks

3 Likes

What about on aeroplanes? I overheard a number of passengers being told they couldn’t use Monzo the other day.

Great blog!

One of my close friends works for easyJet, he said a memo went out the other week saying not to accept Monzo onboard as they never get the money. He has a Monzo card and knows this shouldn’t be the case. Hopefully Monzo will be in touch to resolve this.

4 Likes

Interesting article.It is frustrating if it happens but I have not encountered Monzo acceptance issues for a long time.

Small error in the one minute guide:

If the card doesn’t work and other Mastercards work, then it is likely like your system
needs to be updated.

2 Likes

Good to know what’s happening behind the scenes! I haven’t had any issues so far…going to test it across Asia Pacific/South Asia next month :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would I be correct in the assumption that the retailers that block Monzo cards won’t be able to tell if you are using Monzo if you use a mobile payment system like Apple Pay or Google Pay?

3 Likes

@Clee - what about ATM’s still saying we might get charged? My laziest self hates the extra step of getting cash out!

5 Likes

Not unless they see the card on the screen. They don’t actually block them, they just see it when you go to use it and shout NO! :laughing:. From my understanding it’s against Mastercard rules to say for example I’m only going to accept Lloyds Bank Debit Mastercard and not Monzo Debit Mastercard.

7 Likes

Specsavers have just said to me they can’t find sort code

It was a bit of a stalemate

I said it’s a new bank, you’ve not updated records, worked looked as if nothing they can do

Frustrating

1 Like

That’s a shame, best let monzo support know so they can get in touch, either that or report it to BACS who say merchants should update these lists once a month.

service.desk@bacsservices.co.uk

They will contact the company to remind them of their obligations. They always follow up.

2 Likes

You think through in app or email accpetance@ ?

I’d probably email accpetance@ at least it goes directly to the right team then, save cops passing the message on maybe?

1 Like

I had no problems with Easyjet, they sometimes just ask if this is a current account debit card.

:joy::joy:

Hey Ben

Thanks for flagging. Do you mind writing in about this via the app so we can get a record of it?

Kind regards
David

1 Like

:see_no_evil: Tried to save them a bit of time ended up causing more work :smiley:

1 Like

Seems some of the staff there know about Monzo, they likely had some issues with the prepaid cards then.

Funny :cowboy_hat_face:

There could be something in this. I made purchases on two easyJet flights in April using Monzo, and I’ve only paid for one.

1 Like