Monzo account denied due to CIFAS marker (I think?)

Hello all,
I tried opening a Monzo account recently, only to have the application denied.

I was told to contact CIFAS, which I don’t understand, as I don’t believe I have a marker there anymore.
I have however submitted a Data Subject Access request, to check.

(I had a Cat.6 for a short period of time, as my elderly grandmother paid me for foodshopping, then reported the payment as fraudulent when she forgot what it was for. I was assured by her bank, HSBC, that it had been removed)

I also contacted Monzo by email, but they have informed me that they are unable to comment on account denials.

As well as this potential marker, my address given and the one on my driving license do not match, as I have recently moved (this is now being updated!)
I also have a low credit score due to a friend using my debit card/overdraft for a shopping spree back in uni, and me being unable to get, or pay the roughly £3k back…

Would Monzo refuse a basic account, with no lending or overdraft features, for any of these reasons?
Has anyone got an account, having been in a similar situation?

Thanks!
Ellie

You need to speak to CIFAS. If you still have the marker then you won’t get an account.

There’s no point worrying about anything else until you’ve done that.

The thing that confuses me, is that I was able to open a new NatWest savings account afterwards, so surely it must have been removed?

I suppose I’ll have to wait for the DSAR to come back from CIFAS, along with my updated drivers license, then try again.

A savings account would have different requirements to a current account, though, surely?

Your credit score is not relevant, IIRC Monzo do perform a soft credit search however, so any change of address may have an impact.

Any CIFAS marker trumps all others, though. Especially if you’ve been specifically directed to contact them.

1 Like

You can sign up for the money saving expert credit club and it will show you any cifas , it should be quicker than waiting for a dsar.

1 Like

Thanks for that!
I’ll give that a go!

Many CIFAS markers don’t appear on your credit report - they tend to show certain ones only. CIFAS is the way to go.

5 Likes

Worth having a look on Credit Karma which gives you quick access to TransUnion.