Missed direct debit

Eek thanks for the heads up will need to keep an eye on this again. I had my PayPal taken today fine which has been a few times now all ok but will keep a close eye!

I wish mine went smoothly. If I pay via PayPal for direct debit that works, it’s just the paypal credit DD that fails. I have it scheduled in YNAB so I never forget to pay it manually anyway!

1 Like

YNAB what does that mean.

2 Likes

I’ve set up a direct debit to add funds to Fidelity each month for an investment account, but the payments do not go out. I’ve got Fidelity telling me the problem is with Monzo, meanwhile Monzo tell me the direct debit has been cancelled. Fidelity say it was cancelled at the Monzo end.

I’ve decided to push the problem onto the in app chat because I’m bored of playing phone call ping pong.
This is the first time in my life I’ve ever had a direct debit do anything other than just start working smoothly.

Is this a common user experience, or am I just unlucky in this case?

I haven’t got into any issues with DD with Monzo since I’ve been full Monzo in Jan, you could be unlucky in this case, you can check through payments to see if there’s any DD setup with fidelity

1 Like

Why don’t Fidelity just set up another DD?

1 Like

We wouldn’t cancel a direct debit without instruction from yourself or the AUDIS file that sets up / collects / cancels direct debits.

Probably best to ask fidelity to set a new one up.

1 Like

Based on the letters I get, they’ve set up 5 so far.

They claim it’s Monzo, Monzo say it’s them. I’m at a loss.

Have you had corresponding feed items in the app for each direct debit :thinking:

No. Only the one feed item.

Stating the obvious, but Fidelity have checked there’s no typo in the account details, haven’t they?

It might be we’ve only received one attempt to set it up in that case.

Were you previously using another account?

Couple of us have had similar with PayPal direct debits. I’ve merged the threads together

No. I only set up with fidelity a couple of months ago.

One strange thing they said was that “these Monzo accounts are difficult”. I explained that it’s a bank, and therefore should just be a normal direct debit, but he insisted Monzo accounts are hard to work with.

I have asked fidelity if there is a contact point I could pass on to Monzo, but they basically said I’d have to act as a go between.

That is a super strange thing to say! We’re on the same scheme as any other UK account that manages Direct debits.

Can you ask them to completely cancel the direct debit and set it up again with a new reference?

3 Likes

You don’t know how many issues I have had with Paypal Credit!

Their system seems to refuse to work. I have had it fail with multiple bank accounts (via DD) and by card. I ended up cancelling it because it just wasn’t worth the hassle. I didn’t have it long and it really affected my credit rating (I didn’t buy much on it at all). Never again!

Even after I cancelled it on the phone and said “take it from this account” they failed to take it twice (legacy bank).

Paypal seems to work fine but Paypal Credit on the other hand… Nope!

I’ll try that next time I have a spare bit of time to call them.

Okay glad to know it’s not me doing something wrong. Tempted to just leave the DD cancelled and pay manually each month!

Is manually working for you? I had issues with that too!