Introducing Salary Sorter and Bills Pots šŸŽ‰

I donā€™t think this will ever happen because of the amount of problems it will cause Monzo if your bills differ.

I know itā€™s your own responsibility and if you set your bills account to have Ā£1000 for 11 months of the year then itā€™s your responsibility to increase it for the 12 month when the annual bills are due, but right now itā€™s a very obvious part that youā€™re doing that, if itā€™s automatic then people will just blame Monzo. And the last thing they need is another feature that just causes CS questions.

Monzo stole my money!!

2 weeks laterā€¦ Oh I found it in my Natwest account :rofl:

2 Likes

Kind of. My scenario was to set up a repeating scheduled payment to an external account, but which is paid from the Bills pot. And then ensure that the amount to cover the transfer to the external account was included in the Salary sort to the Bills pot. So it is a payment from a pot (as is known to current users of Bills pots), but it isnā€™t a direct payment from a pot.

2 Likes

Honestly, it feels like thereā€™s a layer missing in Monzo. There are all these disparate parts - pots, the bills pot, scheduled payments, salary sorter, the budgets feature (such as it is), IFTTT integration, ā€œOther accounts in Monzoā€, and so on. It all feels like different aspects of a whole, but the complete whole is missing. That erstwhile mission of creating a ā€œFinancial Control Centreā€.

IMHO what is really needed is for Monzo to take a step back from the coalface of individual accounts and pots, and to provide a higher-level interface, one where you can really see your overall financial picture. I think that things as they are at the moment are too wedded to the nitty-gritty of payments flowing in and out of specific accounts and pots, too much at the day-to-day, or single-month level, and not enough at the higher levels needed to actually have an accurate picture of where you are, and where youā€™re going.

Some questions that I think Monzo could do a much better job in making it easy to answer:

• ā€œWhatā€™s my mandatory vs discretionary monthly expenditureā€
  • ā€œWhatā€™s my effective savings rateā€
  • ā€œWhatā€™s my net worthā€
  • ā€œHow long would it take me to save up for Xā€
10 Likes

I fear that their blanket solution to all that was the Google Sheets integration which was put into their premium accounts.

With this theyā€™ve kind of said ā€œhereā€™s all your data to do with as you pleaseā€ rather than thinking up of every possible budget tracking / graph / dataset people could possibly want. If they started to go down this route it could possibly end up with them diverging more into a budgeting app rather than a bank.

Some would argue theyā€™re synonymous but personally I donā€™t think they are.

1 Like

Moving to here to discuss salary sorter!

Could you expand upon with what you mean here by updates based on your last bills?

Iā€™ve maybe used this twice and it didnā€™t seem to do anything remarkable for me. It was just manually triggered standing orders.

Or do you change the amount manually?

I ask because where I use pots, finances are rigid, rarely changing. And when there is a change, amending the value of a standing order is no more difficult than engaging salary sorter. Other than that, standing orders are automated so everything runs itself with no intervention from me!

Just wish the bill transactions stayed in bill pots, instead of cluttering my personal account feed! (Now possible if I revert some back to paying by recurring card payment as opposed to direct debit. Would need a 6th virtual card though!).

2 Likes

I am getting paid in a couple of days so I will try and frig with it to confirm it all works the way I thought it did but I have my sort fixed right now to spread my pay out across several pots with my bills pot as part of that.
I am hoping it shows the amount I need to cover my new virtual ones coming off that pot as well.
It has meant I worry less about getting my bills to come out around the same date as sorter handles it with 2 taps but I am also pretty static like you.
I thought it did tell me and update but I will check when I get paid. I also wish my council would take tax out in 12 monthly payments instead of 10. It borks me.

1 Like

Yes the rework with manage is nice but I want it all to be inside the pot with a notification to say it went out if you want. At least a hide option would be nice or something.

Hands getting sore now. Donā€™t know how these kids type on phones all day :slight_smile:

1 Like

This would be perfect!

I do like seeing the upcoming dd in the main feed tbh though and I think it would be nice if it did the same for upcoming virtual card bills as well but after it goes just a notification or even a feed item saying ā€œĀ£x of bills went outā€ with a clear button on the right and if you tap it takes you to the pot rather than the several lines items it is now.

1 Like

You have the right to pay council tax in 12 payments rather than 10.

2 Likes

Yeah itā€™s just dealing with the council are a nightmare. Last year they didnā€™t even send me a new bill.

Canā€™t you manage it all online now?

Sadly not where I live. I donā€™t even think the council has fully gone back to work again since Covid.

2 Likes

I actually created an idea topic for voting purposes, but it would be really good if the salary sorter could have an ā€œautomaticā€ option. If thereā€™s not enough money when it fires then it could just drop that message into your feed and fire a notification. Itā€™s opt-in anyways, so presumably only people who know that they get paid enough by a certain date every single month would use it anyways. It seems really silly not to have this option.

1 Like

Iā€™m with you on this.

Our last, best hope is Babylon 5 the US team who have salary sorter and rules-based transfers on their pipelineā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™d like to have a lock/save option for each part of the sort.

My monthly pay is made up of up to 3 partsā€¦

1. My salary
  2. Expenses
  3. A bonus every 3 months

I use the Salary Sorter to have each of theses go into 3 separate pots.

The expenses and bonus elements vary but as the salary is constant Iā€™d like to ā€œsaveā€ or lock that value in the salary sorter.

The rest of my budgeting strategy for anyone who's interested...

I get paid on the 25th, earlier if it falls on a weekend or if I use the Get Paid Early feature, which I almost always do, just because I can.

The salary element goes into the ā€œSorting Potā€ until the first of the month when scheduled transfers split the money into

• Savings pots
  • A bills pot
  • A card subscription pot
  • My joint account
  • And finally some to my personal account for my monthly fun money

All of this means my Summary and budgeting periods also aligns with Trends.

What Iā€™d really like to make this work even better for me isā€¦

• Pot to pot transfers
  • An expenses category in Trends that is excluded from spending alongside Income, Transfers, and Savings
  • A Pulse Graph on trends that would predict my future bills and a income based on previous months/custom time periods
2 Likes

I find it genuinely interesting how imaginative people are with how they organise their money. This is really clever idea.

2 Likes

The Sorting Pot

6 Likes

This is how I might do the joint account actually. My girlfriend and I get paid upto 10 days apart, so this would be a good solution to have a holding pot and then everything is triggered from there.

Even better if Harry Potter is involved.