Introducing Salary Sorter and Bills Pots šŸŽ‰

Hi James,

If you want to switch from another UK bank to Monzo (or any UK bank to any other UK bank for that matter), you can use the CASS service (Current Account Switch Service) which has the banks involved switch your D/Dā€™s from the old bank account to the new bank account. Salaries are not included in this switch though - you have to tell your employer yourself about the change. The Monzo ā€˜add salaryā€™ is a feature which makes it easy to present your new Monzo bank account details to your employer to allow them to pay you using the new (Monzo) bank account - thatā€™s it.

Re: ā€˜Salary Sorterā€™ (which works with ā€˜Get Paid Earlyā€™) - this is a Monzo feature which allows you to sort any income over Ā£100 between your Monzo accounts, pots, and Joint Account connections in one ā€˜sortā€™. You can choose the amounts to send to multiple accounts/pots and initiate the move(s) with one tap. You can also save these ā€˜sortsā€™ so that future sorts are the same when the same income arrives. This feature is worth its weight in gold - salary arrives, tap on ā€˜sortā€™ - check amounts to be distributed are correct and tap to confirm - job done!

But Salary Sorter (in the Monzo sense) has nothing to do with receiving your salary into a Monzo account when moving from another bank to Monzo (via the CASS service)

Hope this helps! (BTW, Iā€™m looking forward to claiming one salary early, this Friday instead of next Monday, and will be immediately almost-auto-sorting that salary between our Monzo accounts and pots)

3 Likes

Hi David,
Thanks for the detailed response, make sense to me now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Where are we on possibility for recurring card payment to be taken from pots?

I can assure you this was the excuse given back on time.
I donā€™t have the energy to dig in this board to find the quote but feel free to.
I have revived the question above for an updated explanation if this changed.

Take a look over hereā€¦

ā€¦ As if by magic, weā€™re currently speculating that this might be a thing :soon: . No official promises or guarantees though.

I really donā€™t think it was. It was more about regulatory rules about payment accounts, the logic that Monzo would need to build and the millisecond speed that the payment network needs Monzo to reply in.

I wonā€™t assure you thatā€™s true because - like you - Iā€™m just going on recollection so would rather leave room that I might be wrong.

1 Like

Itā€™s nothing to do with the amounts changing.

It wasnā€™t. Feel free to go and actually look to prove me wrong though.

Sorry my bad, it wasnā€™t the amount, but the payment date, that they ā€œcanā€™t predictā€. Potayto patahto

Live from the app:

Because they canā€™t predict it. I donā€™t know if youā€™re being deliberately obtuse or donā€™t understand the difference.

Thereā€™s work happening on this area so hopefully this will change soon.

More likely the payment time. Transferring funds ā€œjust beforeā€ the payment goes out is next to impossible if you donā€™t know what time itā€™s going out.

Possibly not worth worrying about now if some of the theories going around at the moment turn out to be true.

Does anyone know if the Salary Sorter will eventually combine salaries? Its rather annoying getting paid the same day but having to sort each salary separately rather than a combined sort

Youā€™re the first to ask for this as far as Iā€™m aware, so Iā€™d say there is a slim chance that this is being worked on.

Iā€™m not sure how it would work either because it doesnā€™t just sort salaries. Any payment (over Ā£100 if I remember correctly) can be sorted so youā€™d need a way to mark each payment youā€™d want combining.

Either way, your best bet is to create a new topic in the ā€˜feedback and ideasā€™ category. Then people can vote on if they find it useful and should it get a decent amount of votes - youā€™ll get Monzos attention :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah ok! Just seems odd that you wouldnā€™t be able to sort two salaries when having a joint account especially when being paid on the same day!

Iā€™ll create a thread and keep my fingers crossed

I know it remembers your last sort, what happens if you sort multiples? Does it remember each one separately? Or just the most recent?

It might be a rare thing so they never considered it :man_shrugging:

What youā€™re asking would require two people who put their entire salaries into their joint account and they are both paid on the same day too. These two things combined is what probably what makes it a little niche.

Who knows though, now you have at topic where people can vote it might show different. Good luck with your suggestion!

1 Like

Itā€™s based on the receipt of >Ā£100 and from what Iā€™ve seen so far, it remembers the sort from last time (if selected) for each company/individual that pays you.

I donā€™t see how a combined sort would work. I manually sort 4 receipts each month at different times. While Iā€™m sure it is technically possible, the mechanics behind it to ensure a wide-range of incoming values, companies/individuals and dates would take some doing, to make sure everyoneā€™s individual application of the feature worked.

3 Likes

This is where I think we actually need some (rudimentary?) rules.

Select a previous salary payment, specify a minimum value (or range) then the transfers to happen automatically.

That way, you could sort both salaries as they come in rather than having complicated (niche?) logic about combining then and doing one sort.

Oh, and my usual plea: I want to be able to automate funds transfer to external (e.g. savings) accounts! :pray:

For me, this is a specific Salary sort to the Bills pot - covering the amount required to transfer to the external account(s), plus other amounts for other transfers/bills - then a repeating scheduled payment into the external account, assigned from the Bills pot. The only manual steps are initiating and confirming the sort. Iā€™m beginning to think there is a regulatory issue about making these steps automatic, otherwise Iā€™m sure itā€™d have been done by now. Then again, a few things were expected to be done by now!

That feels a bit different: my ideal use case is that salary sorter is automatic, including to external accounts.

Your scenario, if Iā€™ve understood correctly(?), sounds a bit like the change that might be happening behind the scenes now: changing pots to be payment accounts. In theory thatā€™d allow for scheduled payments from pots.

It does feel like lots of foundations are being put in place to make all that happen. It still feels to me like it could be more pacey, but I imagine thereā€™s so much behind the scenes work that needs to be done firstā€¦

I miss the days when it used to tell me what scheduled payments were due for the month on the Salary Sorter list so I knew exactly what to transfer without having to go back and forth between Monzo and my bills spreadsheet :pensive::sweat_smile:

2 Likes